All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)
Re: Hey Sarala, Let's talk about our faiths. Others welcome with open minds. new
      #251279 - 03/09/06 08:50 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Actually many Catholics feel the same way as you do concerning confession, and at one time, myself included. However Jesus saw fit to forgive us our sins, and he gave this authority to his Apostles so in confessing our sins to the preist we are simultaneously confessing directly to God. I believe this is from the book of John "…If you forgive men's sins, they are forgiven them, if you hold them bound, they are held bound" Now in order to forgive (or to hold bound) a man's sins they need to be told just what the sin is.
Now that said, confession is not one of my favorite things to do, but I feel better afterwards.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Gracie, I will cling to that. new
      #251280 - 03/09/06 08:51 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Some take the Bible much more literaly than others. Well, 2000 years have passed, I'm sure the rules wouldn't change, but maybe the wording would!:)

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Neat!. new
      #251281 - 03/09/06 08:55 PM
_Willow

I've heard of Adonai, and El Shaddai, and Yeshua is the Jewish term for my Jesus...well, for the Messiah, anyhow.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

DH's family wants me to convert, and what you listed is what I new
      #251284 - 03/09/06 09:02 PM
_Willow

find slightly uncomfortable about Catholicism. though I think the idea of penance would make ME feel better, and maybe I'd yak the preists ear off with my confessions. it might go a little OCD after a while!! LOL!

Anyhow, I also believe that if the Laws of God were re-written today, that birth control would be "legal" per se. I would LOVe to have a big family, but I need to also be responsible and be on the Pill so i have the money to feed the mouths that I conceive, you know? So, I will put my daughter in a Catholic school, and maybe even baptize her(DH isn't in a rush, and he's the Catholic, sort of anyhow) but I will not have more children than I can be utterly rsponsible for.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Edited by Shannon! (03/09/06 09:03 PM)

LOL! Yep, we're just lazy, ha ha! new
      #251285 - 03/09/06 09:06 PM
_Willow

I did a faux pas at my DH's step-grandfather's burial mass. I took the Communion, but in MY church, we take it back to our seat and eat it. Man, when the preist said "AHEM" my gig was up!! Well,it's still valid for ME!!!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I wasn't sure waht to expect, but I'm SO PROUD OF YOU ALL!!! new
      #251286 - 03/09/06 09:08 PM
_Willow

this board is unbelievably positive and accepting. We all commiserate, and we all are bound together by our humanity and the "human stomach condition" LOL!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: DH's family wants me to convert, and what you listed is what I new
      #251287 - 03/09/06 09:09 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You know, I've actully heard of a growing nubmer of non-Catholics who have sought to go to confession when something has been weighing them down.

Concerning the birth control thing, many catholics use birth control methods like the pill and condoms. I don't think IUD's are good since they are abortificants (is that the right word?)

AHHHHH! new
      #251289 - 03/09/06 09:20 PM
_Willow

man do I feel enlightened.Thank you so much for sharing with me.

Kosher makes a lot more sense now. I'd always heard it was blessesd by a Rabbi. That's a LOT OF WORK!!

A few more questions:

I think I know that about eating shrimp. Ig uess I break that one, and I eat pork sometimes, but really dislike it unless it's tenderloins. Bleah.

So can you eat chicken and other fowl?

And as far as land mammals go is it only ok to eat beef, or are there other cud chewing mammals that are "kosher"?

have you ever been accidentally fed something you knew wasn't kosher? what was your reaction? I guess that'd be like someone giving me an upside down cross and making me wear it. it'd be awful!

You follow the Torah so well, wow! Awesome.

Also, does the wig look like your regular hair, or is it funky?

And what is the significance of the curls on the mens sideburns?

ps- I read up on Taoism and realized I'm just too much of a control freak for that. LOL! But the funny thing is, my uncle who is a very very heavy pot smoker is taoist. Yeah, he can JUST BE. What a weiner.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I love the IDEA of the rhythm method new
      #251290 - 03/09/06 09:23 PM
_Willow

(just like I LOVE the IDEA of communism, but it's not practical for me)but honestly, I'm a space cadet when it comes to that rote memory stuff, and i'd be pregnant in a week,LOL!
Yes, IUDs are abortion inducing. I'm anti abortion for me, but if it's a necessary thing to save lives I agree with it. If I was pregnant as a teen I think I'd have given birth and adopted the baby out. So many families need babies!!!(I won't open the floor to that one though!!!)

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: AHHHHH!
      #251301 - 03/09/06 10:11 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I just wanted to add about the wig thing...Judaism intends that people should be sensatized to certain things including sexuality. In contrat to contemporary culture where the exploitation of sexuality serves to diminish sensitivity, Judaism intends to heighten it. In Judaism, even the attractiveness of a woman's hair has enough sensuality that it is even appropriate to be kept covered!

Some women only cover their hair with a scarf...others only with a synthetic women...and others (like me) with human hair (though I plan to buy a 2nd synthetic wig in the future!). The point is NOT to look ugly...I have BEAUTIFUL wigs! The point is to cover up that which is sacred and use it when appropriate!

*whew* LOL

Foul and birds!!! I don't recall atm how we know if they are Kosher. I know something has to do with whether or not they kill their pray...but that's all I recall atm.

The significance of Peyos (the curls) is similair to the beard thing. Some people (they are called Chassidim--this is a sect of Judasim), believe that the hair by a man's ears (where sideburns grow!), should NEVER be cut! So they grow long and curly (sometimes straight and the men curl them to look nice!) All Orthodox men do not cut their Payos past a certain point leaving some side burns showing at all times!

Did I get it all? If not...keep bugging me till I do

Love you Shannon *hugs*

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 338153

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review