All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)
The roles of women in Judaism are VERY misunderstood... new
      #251726 - 03/11/06 08:52 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

To all those who inquired/commented...

The roles of women in Judaism are very misunderstood. Here is a lecture that I hope all interested parties will go and listen to. It is called:

Our Bodies Our Souls Part 1 (click on listen free) and part 2
by Heller, Rebbitzen Tziporah

Here is the synopsis of the lecture: "Finally, an open and honest look at the role of women in Judaism. Rebbetzin Tzipporah Heller lays all the cards on the table with unabashed candor - and a refreshing touch of humor. Sensitive topics like male-female dynamics, modesty, motherhood as a career, and female exploitation are all approached openly and thoroughly. She also explains women and the rabbinate, women and minyanim and the purpose of mikvah."

Go to AISHAUDIO.COM to hear this lecture for free.

I would love to dispell any myths you might have myself but this is not the forum for it.

*hugs*

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Edited by Snow for Sarala (03/11/06 09:50 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So what is yom Kippur, and why do you fast? new
      #251733 - 03/11/06 10:14 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Yom Kippur is the Day of Atonement. The Torah says "Afflict yourself" and we know this to mean "fast" from The Talmud and from our tradition and the Rabbis. These are some places to look this up: "Numbers Ch 29 vs.7", "Leviticus Ch 16 vs.29-30" and Leviticus Ch. 23 beginning vs 26 and onwards.

This is the reason why we fast! HTH! *hugs*

P.S. All the holidays are in the Old Testament except for Chanukah and Purim. Chanukah you know about...and Purim you can find in the Book of Esther.

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Also a latecomer... new
      #251735 - 03/11/06 10:31 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

but I just wanted to say that this was a really fun thread to read! (And yes I read all of it... holy cow this is a HUGE thread!!!) I actually learned a lot about various religions and it was fun to watch it veer into philosophy (another MAJOR philosophy geek here! )

I'm atheist/agnostic too (fluctuate between the two )... and that's how I was raised, so I don't really feel any connection to religion, and as a queer person I honestly don't feel very embraced by religion in general (though a lot of queer people do find quite happy homes with relgion). For me, I just definitely don't feel like it's a 'hole' or something missing or anything... I feel very personally passionate about ethics and tolerance and acceptance and I don't *personally* feel like I need religion to lead a good life... But I don't think there's anything I can really add about that that nelly and chinagirl and jaime et al haven't already said!

Again, cool post!

Re: Tommy/Bob new
      #251744 - 03/12/06 07:02 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I am very happy that my memory isn't as bad as I thought. I have only driven by the area once in all these years and what I remember most about it is that I had a D attack and had to find a bathroom. Ended up in a Wendy's some place around there.

--------------------
Janey

Thank you Laurel! Actually, I never noticed your name new
      #251804 - 03/12/06 12:29 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

as anything significant till today-LOL retrograde! You must read your horoscopes.
I do too and was reappy into it at one ppiont. I don't look at them as anything but fun, but they often do hold true for me. Like there is some cosmic significance to the stars. And if there wasn't then that'd make me awfully arrogant.

And by the way, if there was a gay pride parade in my town, I'd march in it, for my wonderful gay uncle, my dear gy teacher friend, and you!! Big hugs, and thanks for your two cents.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Thanks, I think it's time for me to pull the Bible off the shelf! NM new
      #251805 - 03/12/06 12:37 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Late in this discussion... new
      #251820 - 03/12/06 02:20 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Good for you honey regarding the prayer in school. My opinion is that prayer does not belongs in public school. There's something inthe U.S. that separates church and state. I assume it is similar in Canada. Your public school was wrong to impose that on their students.

--------------------

Michele new
      #251840 - 03/12/06 04:16 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I am so sorry that you were told that you were not welcome in the Catholic Church because you were born out of wedlock. You would be surprised at how many people in every church were born out of wedlock!

My church welcomes people born in any situation. It really doesn't matter where you came from, it only matters where you are going (heaven) and we will sit and talk with anyone as to how to receive salvation.

Since my kids were born to unwed mothers, I am a bit touchy about this wedlock thing...there is a verse in the Bible that says "I have called you by name and you are mine"...it is a verse in Isaiah and I have paraphrased of course. I believe that God has called each of us to this earth for a reason otherwise that wouldn't be in the Bible.

I don't believe that there is such a thing as an illegitemate child...the act of bringing them into this earth may have been but in my heart I know that God has a plan and a purpose for everyone on this earth...to include my kids!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: A peaceful feeilng in my heart!! new
      #251875 - 03/12/06 09:47 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hey, why haven't we talked before, I don't know.

You are so right, isn't it the most peaceful feeling in the world, or that you have ever experienced, to know that one day you will be living forever with your heavenly father? No pain, no sorrow, no hunger, only happiness and love. I am not saying that I want to go today, but when God is ready for me, I look forward to going Heaven and being with him who gave his only son to die for me. It brings tears to my eyes to think of it. Bless you.

Re: I agree.....nt... new
      #251877 - 03/12/06 09:55 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 569 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 340559

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review