All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)
hmm...why? new
      #251678 - 03/11/06 11:48 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Well, when I first wwent into college(that's another word for college here in Canada, LOL!) I wanted to eventually become a child psychologist.

Then as I delved into my courses, I really enjoyed English(and was always just really a good writer /reader /interpreter) and Philo and Psych and Anthropology. But once I got to my 2nd year of my transfer degree in BA, I wanted to become a journalist.

Ironically, that summer, when i had time to think it over, Princess di died. it changed my view of journalism, and I saw it as so cutthroat and I'm so peaceful.
Then that same summer, a friend suggested I become a teacher. She said special ed needed teachers. (AND A LIGHT WENT ON IN MY HEAD!!!)
it's my passion, and I'm just waiting for my own classroom to PROVE how much I love it. I grew up in a school that had a lot of disabled kids, and they never scared me. I just wanted to help kids my whole life.

And, now that I am a substitute teacher, and have had the chance to teach in my own classroom this fall, I know that eventually, i still do want to be a child psychologist. I was just one of those kids who had to check it ALL out to see what I needed to be. And if I never make it to child psychologist/school counsellor, I'll still be totally fulfilled helping special kids.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

LOL hopefully not. I'm more like, um, Polonius from Hamlet, LOL! new
      #251679 - 03/11/06 11:51 AM
_Willow

Brevity? what brevity?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

LOL, we don't have that much, fo sho! new
      #251681 - 03/11/06 11:53 AM
_Willow

i won't whine any more. HOw in tarnation do you all drive? plows out 24/7???

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Tommy/Bob new
      #251682 - 03/11/06 12:06 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

DH grew up in Queens, Sunnyside (I think). Is that in Queens? My memory isn't what it used to be. He moved out to Long Island as a teenager.

--------------------
Janey

Re: No way! new
      #251709 - 03/11/06 05:05 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

We lived in Japan and somehow my mom knew Andy Williams and Pat Boone and we all became friends with the Osmonds. We went to the concerts and these girls would be convulsing in tears because they saw the Osmond brothers. It was hilarious!

Olive was a lovely woman though my favorite brothers were Wayne and Merrill. They are a lovely family.

I tried to write them when Olive died but I suppose it was so long ago, they don't remember?????

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

I forget too!~nt~ new
      #251712 - 03/11/06 06:18 PM
poochibelly

--------------------

fasting... new
      #251715 - 03/11/06 06:25 PM
poochibelly

I fast...for faith based reasons and have gone a week without food...my onlu consumption is liquids. I have done well (I am a "C") and suffer very little even when coming off of the fast. I am careful though. I believe that God has me covered during these times.

--------------------

Re: Tommy/Bob new
      #251717 - 03/11/06 06:38 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Yep Sunnyside is in Queens. Nice area, very Irish.

--------------------

Late in this discussion... new
      #251718 - 03/11/06 07:26 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

** I hope to not offend anyone by my religious views**

I was raised as a Catholic -- by non-religious parents (they thought it was the proper thing to do to send me and my brother to a Catholic school). I made my first communion and had my confirmation. The Bishop that confirmed me took my hands and told me he knew I didn't beleive and that he'd never see me in his church again. He was right. I never believed any of it and my dad always told me that the bible was written to sell books and make money. He always told me how corrupt the church was too. It has actually come out in my home town that there has been numerous religious scandals dating back decade so maybe he knew something nobody else did?

As a teenager, I went to a public high school. A friend and I created a bit of an uproar as we made them stop saying "Our Father" at the beginning of every day over the loud speaker. We thought that there was no place for religion in a public school. Our principal and some teachers were horrified with us. But I'd do it again today.

I don't consider myself religious AT all. I don't pray or go to any religious place of worship. I try to be a good person, don't lie, cheat or steal and try to do right by my own conscience.

I honestly doubt there's a higher power. There is power in all of us but I don't think there's this one power to watch over all humans. Nope. I guess I'm more into the belief in the scientific big bang theory.

The closest thing I have found to a religion that I "somewhat" agree with is Buddism. But I honestly don't know enough about it. I know bits and pieces here and there from my yoga and meditation practices.

I don't want to offend anyone because people's beliefs are so dear to them and I am certainly not someone who can say what's wrong and right. I think if religion gives you comfort, then there is no harm in that.

Thank you for sharing. new
      #251720 - 03/11/06 07:47 PM
_Willow

I truly believe if your childhood experiences with religion are good and hols true for you, then you stick with it, or go back. in your case, uh, sounded like it was very "phony" to you and with your family. Yep, don't blame you at all for walking away.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 337951

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review