All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)
Re: Hey Sarala, Let's talk about our faiths. Others welcome with open minds. new
      #251206 - 03/09/06 04:55 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i think of that as a jewish practice - writing the full word is considered taking g-d's name in vain. along those lines, if you're ever pracicing a prayer, there's a different word for g-d than for when you're saying the prayer for real. (hashem vs. adonai - literally "the name" and "my lord.")

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

What a great thread! I am Unitarian. new
      #251209 - 03/09/06 05:18 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

From what I understand, with the Lutherans, it depends which sub-denomination you are part of. I was told Missouri Synod is pretty strict/conservative whereas the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is a lot more liberal.

I am Unitarian, however. To serve as a definition of sorts, here's my congregation's mission statement: "We are a liberal, religious community which welcomes all to join in our quest for truth and meaning, dedication to social action and commitment to the Unitarian Universalist principles."

There are 7 principles. I don't remember all of them off the top of my head, but they include caring for our planet and being accepting.

I was raised in the United Church of Christ and a little in the Reformed Church in America. Both are Protestant. The UCC is a whole lot more liberal. If I'd kept going to a Christian church, I'd have stayed with the UCC.

Anyhoo, I think I became Unitarian as an adult because from a very young age, I saw that there seemed to be more than one way to believe. (We lived in the Mid East when I was 5 to 7 years old.) That, and this is really simplifying it, but so long as people mean well, and are trying to improve the world, it's okay. The problem is, some of these religions think they have to force others that theirs is the "right way." And I don't think there is one and only one "right way."

I'm not very eloquent on what exists of my faith, but there it is. Oh yeah, and I'm agnostic.

Re: WELCOME!!! new
      #251214 - 03/09/06 05:29 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I love what you said about being married forever. The "til death do us part" phrase doesn't make much sense to me. This is just a stop along the way and I hate to think that my husband and I won't be together for the whole thing.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Shannon, thank you for such a positive thread new
      #251220 - 03/09/06 05:44 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I always love hearing and learning about how others practice their beliefs and am so appreciative when that can be done in an open, safe way.

Our church is funny, we call ourselves Presbyterian with a "little p" because we are so far from what most folks think of Presbyterians. Our church calls itself "A place for people who have given up on church but haven't given up on God". We try to be a safe place for people who are tryign to figure out the whole "God thing" and we truly strive to be the body of Christ here on earth, treating others and living life the way He would (NOT self righteous or pious, doing no one any earthly good...) if that makes sense at all. He shared the truth of the gospel, and I can never deny that the cross of Christ is central to my life as well, but He embraced and loved people, too, the two should never cancel each other out.

I have been in churches that were very wrapped up in conformity, judgemental and hyprocritical, and it was SO oppressive to me because I am a real person, I can't pretend to be something I'm not. I've learned in my 30's that is just what God wants from me - to be myself in Him, to get to know Him better and be transparent and real enough to truly love others, too, as He would. Another thing I've learned is that everything is a gift, EVERYTHING, so if we can focus on the grace in our lives and be thankful, everything falls into its proper perspective. He is about changing me from the inside out (my heart, through grace), not about me trying to change myself from the outside in. That shift of focus has brought more joy and peace than I ever imagined, in the midst of some tough times.

If any of that makes any sense at all!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble? ;) new
      #251233 - 03/09/06 06:17 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

Another Witch over here!

I'm currently non-practicing, which means I do not do rituals or celebrate the Sabbats, but I do follow my own adapted Wiccan/Christianity mix.

I've been attending Catholic schools all my life, and therefore, have always been immersed in it (if only because I was forced to attend mass a few times a year). I was baptised, I was confirmed, the whole nine yards and yet never felt a connection with Christianity as an encompassed religion. I see the beauty in it, but I felt as if it were a bubble, and I couldn't get in, you know? It just didn't feel right.

Through numerous sleepless nights and what was (I'll admit it), a rebellious act, I came upon Wicca. At the time, I was ten years old and while still attending a French Catholic school, declared myself a witch to everybody and their dog. Though, of course, I kept it from my parents.

Along the way, I've come to accept the wariness and concern surrounding the art of Witchcraft. To some, it is as silly as the concept of aliens, while to others, it is a deadly sin.

Myself, I believe in a sort of one god, a solitary god (I use the male term, but it is essentially a woman in a man's body, to me), but with many ties extending out into other gods, other magical beings and dieties. From these ties comes happyness, joy, nature, birth, death, and reincarnation. Through rituals, prayer and observance of self, I can keep my life filled with these happy things.

Oh, and I DO believe in aliens!

Re: Hey Sarala, Let's talk about our faiths. Others welcome with open minds. new
      #251235 - 03/09/06 06:26 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Good post Shannon. I am Catholic and am still a practicing catholic. I grew up going to church every Sunday, observing Lent, and going to catechism classes. However there are things that I do not follow in our church. One being confession. I have always felt that I could just get forgivenss from God when i prayed as opposed to a priest. I do not have the same views on the death penalty and abortion like the Catholic church does. I also think that they should allow priests to be married and also allow woman to conduct masses. Sometimes I find the mass to be a bit routine but saying all of that I do strongly believe in God and Jesus Christ as his son. I also pray every day and attend church about every Sunday. Religion plays a big part in my life and I don't know where I would be without it.

That said I love to learn about other religions and have been to a service in a synogogue, Luthern, Methodist, and Baptist place.

#251247 - 03/09/06 06:58 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

On my first day of using this message board it seems that I have found a site that helps me with ibs-d, and also sends positive messages to my lift my spirit! Although each of us practice our religion in different ways I feel a unity here of the spirit. Thank you all.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

That's true new
      #251249 - 03/09/06 07:05 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I am Lutheran and go to an Evangelical Lutherin chuch in America. I've been to Missour-Synod, but usually ended up feeling worse about mysef than filled with God's love! So, I changed churches and I love going to the Evangelical church.

The church I go to now is more my style! We can wear jeans, the, the pastor is a "riot" and is loved by everyone...and I always feel special and grateful that I have such an awesome God!! I couldn't make it without Him...or the belief that I will one day be in Heaven with a healthy body and a peaceful mind.

I also attended a Swedish Lutheran College! It really made me feel connected with my ancestors!

I love learning about other religions too. I work at a Dutch Christian Reformed school. Quite different than I'm used to.

I also had a roommate who is Jewish so I was able to learn a lot about the meaning of their traditions...like covering mirrors after a loved one dies. We took a picture of my Nativity seen next to her Manora (sp) at Christmas!

Great post, Shannon!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I attended a mass once when I was a kid...
      #251250 - 03/09/06 07:13 PM
Augie

The thing that I remember most is all the exercise I got from going up and down on those kneeling benches and standing up and sitting down and then kneeling again! It seems like Catholics get a real work out at mass!

--------------------
~ Beth

I wanted to convert to Mormonism when I was little
      #251252 - 03/09/06 07:15 PM
Augie

...so Donny Osmond could marry me! I loved Donny! (He's still pretty cute)!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 287 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 337976

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review