All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)
Re: Sarala, please answer this question.. new
      #251567 - 03/10/06 09:17 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I have noticed in your and several others postings, God is always spelled, G-d. Why is that? What does that mean?
I have seen this for a long while and always wondered.

This answer is big to me, I have tried to understand it. Would you plese explain it to me? Thank you so much.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh! Well THAT we can agree on! new
      #251572 - 03/10/06 09:27 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I definitely think it's important to think about people other than yourself when making life decisions and not be selfish. The thing I haven't figured out yet is what to do when person A thinks the world would be a better/safer place in an entirely different and opposite way than person B. Most people don't set out to harm others, and even the extremists really believe they're helping (even if we don't agree). For instance, I know that one of my most fundamental beliefs is that people should not eat animal flesh, and that most people don't agree. I also know that I can't convince them I'm right, and they can't convince me they're right. I don't know what to do about it though, other than let it go and be glad I'm not adding to the problem. To make matters more confusing, I don't believe in faith, but I also know science is incredibly biased and unreliable as well. Sometimes I wonder if I even believe in the idea of *reality*!!

Tao of Pooh! Very cool book. Taoism for Dummies, basically! new
      #251573 - 03/10/06 09:30 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

LOL look at me trying to recruit you to something, ha ha! And not even Christianity.

anyhow, I ahave read the Tao of Pooh. that's when i went through a bit of an agnostic time in my life, and tried very hard to "just be!" Dones't work for me, but it was so cool. Of course it was back in my pot smoking philosophy reading days.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Imaginary friends new
      #251574 - 03/10/06 09:33 PM
chinagrl

My husband and I have always had a pink unicorn named George who we call upon to vote as a tie breaker when we argue about things. Similar idea.

Ah, reality is subjective...let's wax Plato!! new
      #251575 - 03/10/06 09:39 PM
_Willow

Now thats getting into a whole Patonic debate about the shadows on the wall and reality, and sometimes, i think alternate is better than reality! My 3 year old has it right. Dora the Explorer is always at my house eating our "rollup cheese" and playing "jacks" with us. (rollup cheese is cheese slices, jacks are playing with coins) And you knowk its so entertaining to be out of it.

LOL!

I taught a student who on some occasions would not work if you didn't refer to her as whoever she was that day (Darth Vader, harry potter, a unicorn...I added in a few and had her convinced she was working like a wildebeest)

And people wonder why I love to teach special ed. You want to wham your head against a wall every day but I wouldn't trade that insanity for much of anything!:)

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: That is SO cool! new
      #251576 - 03/10/06 09:41 PM
chinagrl

Are you thinking about a burka? The whole body costume strict Muslim women wear? Or just the headscarf, the hijab?

To me it's all the same, from the mini-skirt to the burka. As long as women are oversexualized by society and can be blamed for being attacked or raped for their clothing it doesn't matter what they wear to me. I think it's all about choice. People should wear what they want to wear and if people think impure thoughts that's their fault, not the wearer. Nobody can control what everyone else does, nor should they have to try to. It would probably be much harder to reexamine these relationships and the power dynamic than simply telling women to not "invite trouble" or go out after dark, but I think it would be the ideal, fair thing to do.

Re: Ah, reality is subjective...let's wax Plato!! new
      #251577 - 03/10/06 09:46 PM
chinagrl

Fun. I have a degree in philosophy, so I enjoy that type of thing! Of course, Plato still believed in that darn higher power. It's not until you get to existentialism and Sartre and stuff that philosophers finally stop worrying about it. But I was much more into social political/philosophy, ethics, and mind body theory than I was with the nature of the soul and so forth (I know, a total surprise ).

I dunno if I've left my philosophy phase, though marijuana makes me sick (physically, and watching people be so stupid when they're on it). I was never much for mind altering drugs.

It's totally wicked that you had a student that insisted you call her a wildebeest. I think I am in love with that child. What an imagination. Isn't it sad that we make that go away in order for people to be "adults?" I spend a lot of my time in my classroom (I teach acting to college students) training my students to learn to imagine and play again. It's very rewarding, but some of them fight me tooth and nail, they're way too self conscious now to just let go and imagine their someone else. It's sad.

Yes ,the burka. iI was thinking of a Sikh kirpan. Canadians will know why! new
      #251578 - 03/10/06 09:47 PM
_Willow

And that's because the supreme court just ruled that the kirpan dagger is part of the religious garb of the Sikhs and is allowed to be worn to school.

Whoooops, what a faux pas of me, mixing up my religions!

But the normal burka itself isn't bad, it's the ones where they have little eyeslits and barely that, the ones that the taliban insisted on that go past the ankle,...it seemed to ME to be SO VERY degrading to women, rather than keeping us holy.

I agree with your argument though about woman being sexualized and it DOESN"T matter what we wear.

By the way, the hijab, I think is quite beautiful. A nice elegant statement, according to my Canadian way of life. I would think it's awfully hot though, to wear all the time, in the hot desert countries.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Edited by Shannon! (03/10/06 09:52 PM)

Re: Sarala, please answer this question.. new
      #251579 - 03/10/06 09:54 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=livingroom&Number=251206&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1

I pondered a degree in philo
      #251580 - 03/10/06 09:55 PM
_Willow

Now I'm just a peoplephile.LOL!

Yes, I was a super imaginative kid too and love every minture of thinking of it. i encourage it in everyone. it makes life so much more fun and authentic, you know?

Ps- hate to admit but I haven't really read up on the existentialism much yet but think I know the premise? And Sartre, never got to him. But I did like the nichomachean ethics!! And Edgar Allan Poe.(objection, irrelevant.)

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 338146

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review