All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)
Re: Thank you, Janey! new
      #251557 - 03/10/06 08:45 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

The only thing to do, is do what you think is right for you and your family. If you haven't done so yet, do in depth research about your faith, and the Roman Catholic faith, then go with what your heart tells you to do. Good luck.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

So what is yom Kippur, and why do you fast? new
      #251558 - 03/10/06 08:47 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Same sort of question about the other holidays. I don't really understand much more than hannukah and Passover a little bit, but I always equate that with Easter(sorry, lol, I actually think of eggs. how very secular of me, the holiest of MY holidays)

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Thanks, Gracie.... new
      #251559 - 03/10/06 08:50 PM
_Willow

I actually feel great where I am, but don't have any qualm raising my daughter in a Catholic school with a Protestant church. You ahve to be Christian either way. It's whether you want it watered down or ritual intense, basically, you know? If I can believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost and nobody else, I'm happy. I wasn't raised with the saints or the rosary or the eucharist or mass etc, so the symbolic stuff aside from the Communion and baptism feels weird to me. However, it's still great, and I'd be glad to expose Kayleigh to it.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Thanks fot yuour take Jamie new
      #251560 - 03/10/06 08:56 PM
_Willow

I to see the beauty and sanctity in Nature. and we believe in the fact that God is in everything, especially nature, and little kids. Innocence and purity and sweetness.

By the way, what IS a bar or Bat mitzvah? I get the he-her thing..but is it like a Catholic pre-teen's confirmation of dedication of a life to Christ?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: I believe in Love and Goodness!! new
      #251561 - 03/10/06 08:56 PM
Gracie

I can't believe the Church there in the US would say such a thing to you! In my RC church there are unwed mothers attending church, children born out of wedlock, poor, rich, middle class, non-catholics, homeless people. Everyone is welcome, and no one is turned away.

poochibelly new
      #251562 - 03/10/06 08:59 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

As a "Mormon" we believe that we are not automatically saved. We are saved when we try to emulate the life of Jesus Christ, and live the commandments that He taught. Of course I will never be equal to my Savior, but while trying to be like Him I am becoming a better husband, father, and neighbor. It is through faith and good works, and striving to be like my Savior, who loved even the sinner, and taught that we are all God's children that I can be saved. I also understand that I must seek repentence for sins committed and forgive all that might have sinned against me. Certainly I will never be as my Savior, but I can continue to try to be, and each day be just a little more worthy of His love.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Awesome Question, Michelle! new
      #251563 - 03/10/06 09:01 PM
_Willow

i've always wondered that as well.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Thanks, Gracie.... new
      #251564 - 03/10/06 09:02 PM
Gracie

You're welcome

In my elementary and high school, there were a few non-catholics there because their parents wanted them to have a Christian upbringing, not necessarily RC though. The public school system leaves religion totally out of their curriculum.

I know!:) I'm a teacher for the public system here, and
      #251565 - 03/10/06 09:06 PM
_Willow

we do have a LOGOS Christian program and a Christian school which you can choose to put your kids in. I have had the privilege of subbin in the LOGOS program, but it's very much a whimpy version of Christian school(not that I was raised in catholic or christian schools,lol) but is still nice. We have lots of options. Our public and Catholic systems are both public systems here, if that makes sense. I do love teaching LOGOS and seeing God in the kids eyes. it's beautiful.

My little brother and maybe my sister too(half sibs) went to Catholic school even though they were Alliance. I think it was good for them.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Oh yes. :)
      #251566 - 03/10/06 09:14 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I am a big geek and love to read and research. One of my areas of theatre research is non-Western theatre, so it is important to me to know about religions of all countries. It has led to some really fun experiences, like going to a feast to break fast during Ramadan with my Muslim classmates. I had studied Islam in undergrad, but seeing it in practice was fun for me. I have also studied Chinese and Japanese theatre extensively. Did you know that one of the main forms of Japanese theatre (Noh) started as an advertisement for Buddhism? One of my best friends is considering becoming a Buddhist priest actually. I studied Confucianism in undergrad as well in an honors class- poor Confucius had NO IDEA he would be turned into a religion. In high school one of my best friends was fairly conservatively Jewish (more than her parents, less than Sarala) so she taught us a lot about Jewish tradition as well. I even had a pagan roommate! So I've learned a lot about a lot of religions.

Unfortunately, even if they don't come with a god, per se, they always do come with a higher power, and I just can't believe in that. It's not for lack of education... I'm just missing the ability to have faith.

Have you read the Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet? I *love* those books.

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 338082

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review