Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A small update
      #250967 - 03/09/06 06:57 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hey everyone,
Sorry if it seems like I just show up once in a while and talk about myself -- I swear I read all the posts and try to respond as much as possible! Anyway I thought I'd give you all a little love-life update.

Valentines boy kind of fizzled. I guess he just couldn't get past the fact that I'm pretty religious and he's not. The way I saw it, if either of us were going to have a problem with that, it should have been me, and I did not. Anyhow, we were all out at a bar with some friends and I had too much to drink, we fought about something, and I left crying. I'm still not really sure what happened (note to self, don't drink on an empty stomach!), but it's definitely over!

After that I had a couple dates with random boys, nobody too special. Then last saturday (the 25th) I went to a beefsteak dinner at my brothers' church (last chance to eat meat before Orthodox Lent). I hadn't even planned on going because I was supposed to be out of town, but I ended up coming back a day early and going.

So, my two SILs and I were sitting at one side of a big round table, and my brother Mike was standing a little away from it, on the other side. He was talking to the hottest guy I've ever seen in real life. My SILs and I were all like WHO is that guy???

We couldn't hear it at the time, but this is what they were saying. Hot guy gestures to my SIL's giant pregnant belly (she gave birth 2 days later, Elias Matthew, healthy, etc), and he goes, "I really gotta get there." So my brother, who doesn't really know the guy that well, asks, are you married? He says no. Are you seeing anyone? He says no. So my brother totally un-smoothly yells across the table, Mandy, come here and meet this guy!

Argh! So embarassing ... but he was hot so I went over. We shook hands and it was like instant chemistry. We ended up chatting for most of the night. He was wearing a frilly red apron because he was serving the dinner, and it was hilarious. My brother bet me 10 bucks that the guy wouldn't ask for my number by the end of the night, I was pretty determined. Finally I decided to invite him to come by my brother's house the next day, since we were having some people over. Kind of a bold move but it worked -- he had to ask for my number after that!

The next day I went to my church in brooklyn and he and my brothers went to their church. By the time I got to my brother's house, he was there! He hung out the entire day -- playing on the floor with my niece, playing poker with the boys, chatting with my SILs! It was great. I was extremely nervous the whole day but it was nice anyway. At night we all piled on the couch to watch Grey's Anatomy and he was very slyly kind half holding my hand, playing with my fingers, etc. I was sweating buckets.

So, we said good night, and he said he'd call me later in the week. I kinda didn't believe him but I was excited.

I went back to my place that night, and the next night my SIL went into labor, and I ran out to my brother's. I spent all night monday and all day tuesday calling the hosp for updates. She was in labor 23 hours! So I was kind of distracted when he called on Tuesday evening (before the birth) but he asked if I was free that weekend. My school was running a huge competition but I didn't want to put off our date, so I said I was free Friday night at 9pm. So he said great, and that he would call again in a couple days to work out the details.

He called Thursday night and told me he had picked out a cute place to go, downtown. I told him I'd be at school and that I guess I would just meet him at the restaurant. He said no way, I'll PICK YOU UP AT SCHOOL! Those of you who don't live in NYC might not be familiar with this, but you NEVER get picked up for dates. I was so excited.

So all day Friday I was ridiculously nervous. I NEVER get nervous about dates, so I didn't even really know how to calm down or anything. I was totally nauseous and everything. But, as soon as he picked me up I started to relax. Dinner was great -- we went to a Russian / French place and had way too much vodka (the tummy has been cooperating lately!) and then went to a club for a little while and danced. It's so easy to be with him -- he's super smart, we have a ton in common, and great chemistry. So, he asked if he could see me again Saturday night and I broke my own rule about accepting last-minute dates and said yes.

Saturday was much more tame -- we just went to Houston's and watched the Duke / UNC game and had sandwiches. We hung out a bit at my apartment after that and it was so relaxed and easy.

We're going out again this weekend -- a cool restaurant on Friday night, and then Saturday he's going to help me hang my curtains! I'm so excited about that for some reason. Nice to have a boy around, you know?

And then .... next Thursday we're going to the Opera! I'm thrilled, I love the opera. I haven't been since October, when I saw Carmen. We're seeing Cyrano and it should be great. I'm super excited.

Anyway so I'm really really happy. We talk on the phone for so long every night, I feel like I'm in high school again. I feel like I just told God exactly what I was looking for in a person, and He was like okay, here you go! Sooooo I know I'm getting way ahead of myself but this could definitely be a good thing.

I'm so into this guy that when my ex-bf (who I was totally not over) emailed me this weekend and asked if we could catch up soon (on the phone) I told him now was not the right time. I never thought I'd get there!

So, I'll keep you all posted (if you're interested).

That's it from here. And yes, I'm writing a book about dating in NYC.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A small update new
      #250986 - 03/09/06 07:50 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Sorry to hear the Valentines day guy didn't work out but it sounds like you landed a much better catch!! Keep us posted! I love reading your "date" posts!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

sounds terrific!!! new
      #250992 - 03/09/06 07:57 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and yes, like you finally found someone who is worthy of you at least aas a freind.. and who is mature and sweet too!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Your post made me excited for you!!!-nt new
      #251000 - 03/09/06 08:02 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

--------------------

YAY! So happy for you! -nt- new
      #251004 - 03/09/06 08:08 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#251032 - 03/09/06 09:16 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I love hearing great date stories like that. I have a good friend right now who has met someone after a long and bitter marriage to someone. (she's divorced now) But she is so happy right now. You sound a lot like her. I hope that this works out for you. Keep us posted!!

#251038 - 03/09/06 09:31 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

VERY COOL!

And yes, you should write a book about dating in NYC!

So did you get a goodnight kiss?~nt~ new
      #251056 - 03/09/06 10:08 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: Wow, thats sooo cool! new
      #251059 - 03/09/06 10:16 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

That is Great!!! I'm sooo happy for you. I hope things continue to go well for you!! Please keep us updated!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#251095 - 03/09/06 11:21 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Ooohhh, I am so envious of you!!! Getting to see "Cyrano" -- awesome!

Oh, and I guess the hot guy doesn't sound too bad, either.

I hope this works out for you. I take it that he's the same religion as you are? At least that eliminates one barrier, right?

Yes, please, keep us updated. We boring married people need some reminders of what romance was like.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 790 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2379

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review