All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Make up tips, please
      #250655 - 03/07/06 06:09 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hubby and I plan to buy a digi cam so I can post my pic...in the meantime, I will have to describe my looks in the hopes that you can help me. PLEASE feel free to send me links of yourself or famous ppl to show me ideas

I recently dyed the wig that I wear for religious reasons back to my natural hair color...a medium to dark brown. (It was a dark blonde before.) I have hazel green eyes and very pale skin (like the lightest foundation color usually fits me well). In April I'm going home to visit my fam and if there's time we'll go shopping for make up for me!!! I'm totaly psyched!

I'm trying to figure out what eye shadow colors will best suit my face and what lipsticks and blush to wear as far as shades go. Mascara I know black is best for my eyes. And eyeliner I seem to do well with black and dark brown and grays. But perhaps there would be colors best suited for me?

If this is just too impossible without my pic...I'll post again when my pic is up and running.

Thanks in advance for any ideas! *hugs*

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bare Minerals! new
      #250660 - 03/07/06 06:20 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

If you are able to get to a boutique of theirs, I highly recommend it. They will do a complete consultation and show you how to apply everything. And the make-up is made of natural minerals. No chemicals. I love it. It makes my skin feel very smooth and you really can't see that you're actually wearing make-up. I must sound a like a commercial for it, but I really like this stuff a lot. There are a couple other stores that carry their stuff and will also do consultations. You can check the Bare Escentuals website and find locations that carry their products.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Make up tips, please new
      #250661 - 03/07/06 06:23 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Without actually seeing your face, you probably can't go wrong with neutral and soft tones. You don't want to look too made up.

#250664 - 03/07/06 06:32 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Hello! I'm also dark brown hair, very fair skin (lightest shade of foundation) and hazel green eyes, how 'bout that.

For eyes definetly purple! Really makes the green stand out. I found a good 4-set eyeshadow from cover girl. For a day pretty-eye look I use the lightest under my brow, second lightest over the lid, and third lightest in the crease of the eyelid. For night, I just add the darkest purple smudged along the lash line as eyeliner in a kind of smoky eye look. Also golds and browns are very nice.

For the lips, depends what you did with the eyes. If you're doing dramatic eyes, do a nude lip. If you're doing neutral eyes, go for a bold deep red lip. It really stands out against pale skin.

For blush, I find it best to try on before buying. I have L'Oreal Feel Naturale Light Softening blush, in Mauvelous Mauve. Expensive, but it came with a brush which I didn't have before. Also note that I have a blue undertone, as opposed to a rosy peachy undertone to my skin. Take your time finding the right blush, it really adds a lot to a look! Some days I just go with mascara and blush, and it looks good.

Have fun and show us some pics soon,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

You're colored like me! new
      #250675 - 03/07/06 07:05 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The eyes are the fun part - with hazel-green eyes, you can really go in a lot of different directions. I normally stick with a pinkish shade of brown if I want to go with a natural look, but purple is *awesome* to bring out the green in hazel eyes. I have no idea how that works, but it does.

I tend to skip most other makeup - I never wear blush, for one, and rarely wear lipstick - so I won't bother recommending anything there, except to say that we fair-skinned types show blush REALLY easily, so stick with a light shade. Oh, and if you're prone to dark circles under your eyes, don't use a gray eyeliner... the second it smudges, you'll look like someone punched you in the eye. Experience talking.

Re: MAC makeup new
      #250719 - 03/08/06 07:36 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Is my new obsession!! My girlfriend turned me onto it and I just love it!! The make-up is a bit expensive but check out there web site here http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/looks/looks_landing.tmpl and click on the looks and it will show you different looks and way to apply make-up!!

I know your on a tight budget but maybe if you go to a department store or MAC store and ask them to put some make-up on you, they'll help you pick out the right colors. Then, you can go to the drug store and find similar colors in less expensive make-ups!!

They say to bring out the color of your eyes, to use the color opposite on the color wheel! Thats why purples looks good on green eyes! I'm blue eyes, fair complexion and dye my hair dark reddish brown. I wear the whole range of make-up colors!! I have greys, browns, purples, blues, pinks, greens and even a teal for my eyes. Instead of using pencil eyeliners, I like to use a fine, pointed angled brush and line my eyes in a dark shade of eye shadow, I like it better than the line you get with the pencils! I use either a black or a brownish red mascara. I have three shades of blush, a brown, a mauvey pink and a purpley mauve! I have all sorts of lip sticks and glosses, from browns, to pinks and very red!! Someone else mentioned and I agree, if you do dramatic eyes, do a lighter, more natural lip or natural eyes and darker lips!

I sure do wish you lived closer, I'd bring all my make-up and we could do a make-over for you!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#250748 - 03/08/06 10:22 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh how fun!!!! I love make up! I say go with the purple eye shadow. I am also a hazel-eyed person and I always get compliments when I wear purple. Pink is also gorgeous as is a pale green!

I wish you were closer, I could do lots of different looks and you could pick your favorite!

As for blush, what about a very light bronzer? I use this ad it gives me a healthy glow. Lipstick... I'd go with something subtle, a peach or pale pink.

Here's what I use... new
      #250750 - 03/08/06 10:26 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

http://www.almay.com/pg/main/catcoleyeslips.aspx?catid=32&catnm=Eyes&subid=6&subnm=Hazel&col1=224&col2=225

And I think this bronzer would be GREAT for you.

http://www.almay.com/Pg/Main/CatProdDet.aspx?catid=31&catnm=Face&subid=226&subnm=Blush%20and%20Bronzer&prd=28586&osubnm=BlushBronzer

#250763 - 03/08/06 10:46 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

fun fun fun. i have dark hair (brown but i dye it black), very pale skin, and blue-green eyes, so i'm sort of in the same range as you. for eyes i agree with everyone about purples. revlon makes an eyeliner in, i believe, raisin, that i love - the purpleness of it isn't too intense, and it stays on amazingly. but with hazel-green, you probably want to go for purples that are closer to indigo - somewhere between navy blue and purple would probably look great. (purple enhances green eyes and navy blue enhances brown, so you can either go to one extreme to enhance one aspect of your eyes, or stick to the middle to just really make them pop.)

i generally just wear eyeliner and mascara (black). sometimes i'll put a little shimmery off-white eye shadow right above my lashes for a little extra. for dressing up i have a plum-colored eyeshadow that i really love. even behind my glasses it makes my eyes look really green.

it's hard to know about blush without seeing your skin - the key to makeup is knowing if your coloring is warm or cool. cool means that your skin has rosy undertones, warm that it's more golden or yellowish. i think covergirl, and maybe some other brands, label their products accordingly. so that should help. i can't really help specifically for blush - my cheeks are always reddish, so i never wear it.

as for lipstick, the warm/cool rule applies again. also, follow the tried and true idea that you can either have dramatic eyes or lips, but doing both up dramatically is too much. which you choose is about what mood you're in, but also your face - i usually play up my eyes to draw attention away from my jaw, which is rounder than i'd like, and since my lips are already full, i don't usually wear more than lip gloss.

(i'm also a slave to concealer - i have ridiculous dark shadows under my eyes. even when i sleep for twelve hours a night for a week, i look like i've just been punched in the face.)

phew, that was a novel, wasn't it. hope it helps!

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Man, I was thinking the same thing... new
      #250788 - 03/08/06 12:40 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...that it's too bad you don't live closer, Sarala, 'cuz I'd bring over my trunk (yes, TRUNK) of makeup and we'd play!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 471 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14110

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review