All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
as for purple... new
      #250838 - 03/08/06 04:13 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I love purple eyeshadow but you've got to be careful..

try a lighter shade across the lid and only swipe dark purples across the crease. That gives your eyes depth.. but doesn't make you look like you have dark purple shadow all over your lid which doesn't work for many people unless...
A. you are still living in a material world
B. you're going for the smoky eye look.. then it can really work.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

makeup demonstrations new
      #250854 - 03/08/06 04:59 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I feel so lame reading this thread. I was 18 before I started wearing any makeup. I still don't wear much -- my main goal is to minimize the dark circles under my eyes, and if I don't end up making them look orange instead, that's a bonus.

Anyway, I do agree that a very good thing to do would be to go to the makeup counter at a nice department store and ask the girls there for help. But make sure you pick someone whose makeup looks good!

What I don't agree with, though, is not buying anything. I don't really think it's right to just use them for a free makeup lesson. You don't have to buy everything they offer, but at least spring for one thing! I'd recommend mascara -- there's a definite difference between cheap mascara and the expensive stuff.

Did anyone else love the makeover scenes in lame teen movies? How come the "before" heroine always had fake eyebrows the size of small chipmunks?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Aww! You are the sweetest, you know? new
      #250865 - 03/08/06 06:45 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Silly. I don't know about the beautiful part, but I'm glad I get to play big sister and give you makeup tips! Haha. Did I ever mention that I used to sell Mary Kay cosmetics? Now *that* was fun... silly, but fun. LOL!

Anyway, the best way I can describe the purple I use is "muted". I can't go with pastel colors because I find they make me look too washed-out. That's something you'll have to try on your own; your taste may vary from mine.

If you still have that purple, don't throw it out. You can apply a thin layer of another color over it - a brown/gray will tone it down but make it darker, pink (you can even use your blush here as eyeshadow) will blend it into your skintone and make it a little more pastel. You can also lighten it up by brushing some powder over it. I hate throwing money away, so I'm all about combining makeup to make it work somehow. (But if you already got rid of it, that's fine too, obviously!)

You know that if I ever make it to your part of town, you'll be the first to know! *hugs*

Re: Bare Minerals! new
      #250878 - 03/08/06 07:31 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Sephora carries Bare Minerals make-up. They should also be able to do a consult for you. Most people just address me as hoho but my name is Melissa. You can call me any of them.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Here's what I use... new
      #250897 - 03/08/06 08:24 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

The cheapest lotion I found was at Walmart, about $4-$5 (Canadian) for the bottle of body moisturizer. The face moisturizer I found at a drugstore for $11 (Canadian), and it lasts a lot longer since you don't need much to cover the face.

Someone mentioned the makeup complementing (not matching) clothing, and I stick to that rule as well.

A purple eyeshadow that isn't crazy at all, is from cover girl: http://www.covergirl.com/cgcollection/eyes/shadows/proeye4a.jhtml
the "Ice Princess" one. In general, most CG products don't go on heavy at all, and look more sheer than what you see in the package. Sometimes buying a cheap eyeshadow works and you get lucky, but I find a lot of times they're a bit too much color, or don't stay on properly.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Re: Purple eyeshadow, warm/cool... new
      #250899 - 03/08/06 08:25 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

as for warm/cool, if you can't tell if your skin is rosy or golden, think about what colors you wear - do you look better in white or cream? silver or gold? warm colors are red, orange, yellow. cool are green, blue, and purple.

purple eyeshadow can be really soft and neutral - a plum color that's close to brown or rose, rather than bright purple.

hope that helps!

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re: Make up tips, please new
      #250927 - 03/09/06 12:06 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hey, this is a fun topic! I want a makeover! I don't have any advice since I haven't worn anything other than lipstick in YEARS. I'm picking up some good tips, even though my coloring is much different from yours. But learning about warm/cool undertones and people's reviews on different makeup brands has been really helpful.

Well, Sarala, once you find the makeup that suits you, you must put up a before and after pic!

Another option is Mary Kay, a consultant would come to your home new
      #250937 - 03/09/06 04:48 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

and show you how to use the product, choose colors good for you, etc. I know in your case that might be helpful? It is a quality product, just sold in a different way (by individual consultants). My SIL sells it and I use some of their stuff.

(((hugs)))

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Purple eyeshadow, warm/cool... new
      #250991 - 03/09/06 07:57 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Actually, you don't need to match your maek-up to your clothes! You should wear the colors that look best on you but just because you wear a blue sweater doesn't mean you would wear blue eyeshadow! Sephora is a good store, the girls in there will help you! I use one of their mascara's that I just LOVE!!!

If you thought th epurple was told much, try using a light, natural grain color all over your lid, line eye eye only in the purple and then use a darker, more natural color, like brown in the crease. I do this all the time as I like to wear color eye shadow but don't always want THAT much color!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: matching new
      #251015 - 03/09/06 08:39 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

the current thought is that you actually shouldn't match your makeup to your clothes at all. make sure they don't clash horribly (though if your makeup colors are bold enough to be able to clash with clothing, you should probably be wearing more muted clothes), but other than that, just go with what looks best on your face.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 263 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14306

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review