All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Make up tips, please
      #250655 - 03/07/06 06:09 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hubby and I plan to buy a digi cam so I can post my pic...in the meantime, I will have to describe my looks in the hopes that you can help me. PLEASE feel free to send me links of yourself or famous ppl to show me ideas

I recently dyed the wig that I wear for religious reasons back to my natural hair color...a medium to dark brown. (It was a dark blonde before.) I have hazel green eyes and very pale skin (like the lightest foundation color usually fits me well). In April I'm going home to visit my fam and if there's time we'll go shopping for make up for me!!! I'm totaly psyched!

I'm trying to figure out what eye shadow colors will best suit my face and what lipsticks and blush to wear as far as shades go. Mascara I know black is best for my eyes. And eyeliner I seem to do well with black and dark brown and grays. But perhaps there would be colors best suited for me?

If this is just too impossible without my pic...I'll post again when my pic is up and running.

Thanks in advance for any ideas! *hugs*

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bare Minerals! new
      #250660 - 03/07/06 06:20 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

If you are able to get to a boutique of theirs, I highly recommend it. They will do a complete consultation and show you how to apply everything. And the make-up is made of natural minerals. No chemicals. I love it. It makes my skin feel very smooth and you really can't see that you're actually wearing make-up. I must sound a like a commercial for it, but I really like this stuff a lot. There are a couple other stores that carry their stuff and will also do consultations. You can check the Bare Escentuals website and find locations that carry their products.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Make up tips, please new
      #250661 - 03/07/06 06:23 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Without actually seeing your face, you probably can't go wrong with neutral and soft tones. You don't want to look too made up.

#250664 - 03/07/06 06:32 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Hello! I'm also dark brown hair, very fair skin (lightest shade of foundation) and hazel green eyes, how 'bout that.

For eyes definetly purple! Really makes the green stand out. I found a good 4-set eyeshadow from cover girl. For a day pretty-eye look I use the lightest under my brow, second lightest over the lid, and third lightest in the crease of the eyelid. For night, I just add the darkest purple smudged along the lash line as eyeliner in a kind of smoky eye look. Also golds and browns are very nice.

For the lips, depends what you did with the eyes. If you're doing dramatic eyes, do a nude lip. If you're doing neutral eyes, go for a bold deep red lip. It really stands out against pale skin.

For blush, I find it best to try on before buying. I have L'Oreal Feel Naturale Light Softening blush, in Mauvelous Mauve. Expensive, but it came with a brush which I didn't have before. Also note that I have a blue undertone, as opposed to a rosy peachy undertone to my skin. Take your time finding the right blush, it really adds a lot to a look! Some days I just go with mascara and blush, and it looks good.

Have fun and show us some pics soon,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

You're colored like me! new
      #250675 - 03/07/06 07:05 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The eyes are the fun part - with hazel-green eyes, you can really go in a lot of different directions. I normally stick with a pinkish shade of brown if I want to go with a natural look, but purple is *awesome* to bring out the green in hazel eyes. I have no idea how that works, but it does.

I tend to skip most other makeup - I never wear blush, for one, and rarely wear lipstick - so I won't bother recommending anything there, except to say that we fair-skinned types show blush REALLY easily, so stick with a light shade. Oh, and if you're prone to dark circles under your eyes, don't use a gray eyeliner... the second it smudges, you'll look like someone punched you in the eye. Experience talking.

Re: MAC makeup new
      #250719 - 03/08/06 07:36 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Is my new obsession!! My girlfriend turned me onto it and I just love it!! The make-up is a bit expensive but check out there web site here http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/looks/looks_landing.tmpl and click on the looks and it will show you different looks and way to apply make-up!!

I know your on a tight budget but maybe if you go to a department store or MAC store and ask them to put some make-up on you, they'll help you pick out the right colors. Then, you can go to the drug store and find similar colors in less expensive make-ups!!

They say to bring out the color of your eyes, to use the color opposite on the color wheel! Thats why purples looks good on green eyes! I'm blue eyes, fair complexion and dye my hair dark reddish brown. I wear the whole range of make-up colors!! I have greys, browns, purples, blues, pinks, greens and even a teal for my eyes. Instead of using pencil eyeliners, I like to use a fine, pointed angled brush and line my eyes in a dark shade of eye shadow, I like it better than the line you get with the pencils! I use either a black or a brownish red mascara. I have three shades of blush, a brown, a mauvey pink and a purpley mauve! I have all sorts of lip sticks and glosses, from browns, to pinks and very red!! Someone else mentioned and I agree, if you do dramatic eyes, do a lighter, more natural lip or natural eyes and darker lips!

I sure do wish you lived closer, I'd bring all my make-up and we could do a make-over for you!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#250748 - 03/08/06 10:22 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh how fun!!!! I love make up! I say go with the purple eye shadow. I am also a hazel-eyed person and I always get compliments when I wear purple. Pink is also gorgeous as is a pale green!

I wish you were closer, I could do lots of different looks and you could pick your favorite!

As for blush, what about a very light bronzer? I use this ad it gives me a healthy glow. Lipstick... I'd go with something subtle, a peach or pale pink.

Here's what I use... new
      #250750 - 03/08/06 10:26 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

http://www.almay.com/pg/main/catcoleyeslips.aspx?catid=32&catnm=Eyes&subid=6&subnm=Hazel&col1=224&col2=225

And I think this bronzer would be GREAT for you.

http://www.almay.com/Pg/Main/CatProdDet.aspx?catid=31&catnm=Face&subid=226&subnm=Blush%20and%20Bronzer&prd=28586&osubnm=BlushBronzer

#250763 - 03/08/06 10:46 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

fun fun fun. i have dark hair (brown but i dye it black), very pale skin, and blue-green eyes, so i'm sort of in the same range as you. for eyes i agree with everyone about purples. revlon makes an eyeliner in, i believe, raisin, that i love - the purpleness of it isn't too intense, and it stays on amazingly. but with hazel-green, you probably want to go for purples that are closer to indigo - somewhere between navy blue and purple would probably look great. (purple enhances green eyes and navy blue enhances brown, so you can either go to one extreme to enhance one aspect of your eyes, or stick to the middle to just really make them pop.)

i generally just wear eyeliner and mascara (black). sometimes i'll put a little shimmery off-white eye shadow right above my lashes for a little extra. for dressing up i have a plum-colored eyeshadow that i really love. even behind my glasses it makes my eyes look really green.

it's hard to know about blush without seeing your skin - the key to makeup is knowing if your coloring is warm or cool. cool means that your skin has rosy undertones, warm that it's more golden or yellowish. i think covergirl, and maybe some other brands, label their products accordingly. so that should help. i can't really help specifically for blush - my cheeks are always reddish, so i never wear it.

as for lipstick, the warm/cool rule applies again. also, follow the tried and true idea that you can either have dramatic eyes or lips, but doing both up dramatically is too much. which you choose is about what mood you're in, but also your face - i usually play up my eyes to draw attention away from my jaw, which is rounder than i'd like, and since my lips are already full, i don't usually wear more than lip gloss.

(i'm also a slave to concealer - i have ridiculous dark shadows under my eyes. even when i sleep for twelve hours a night for a week, i look like i've just been punched in the face.)

phew, that was a novel, wasn't it. hope it helps!

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Man, I was thinking the same thing... new
      #250788 - 03/08/06 12:40 PM
atomic rose

...that it's too bad you don't live closer, Sarala, 'cuz I'd bring over my trunk (yes, TRUNK) of makeup and we'd play!

Re: Here's what I use... new
      #250813 - 03/08/06 03:03 PM
K2

Just wanted to add something here, without trying to sound too much like a commercial:

Jergen's Natural Glow Moisturizer, and new Jergen's FACE moisturizer are both 'self-tanners' but easy to use. Don't need to exfoliate or be careful when applying. I use the Fair skin tones one just to give a bit of color, glow, and little bit of a tan.

I haven't found a bronzer, or maybe I don't know how to apply it properly, but this Jergens' stuff is easy.

Kat

--------------------
Kat

Re: Bare Minerals! new
      #250816 - 03/08/06 03:38 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

DITTO on the Bare Minerals. Their products are great!

--------------------
~jules

Are Sephora and Bare Minerals the same company? n-t new
      #250822 - 03/08/06 03:54 PM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Purple eyeshadow, warm/cool... new
      #250827 - 03/08/06 04:00 PM
Snow for Sarala

How do you know if you're warm/cool?

I tried out this purple eyeshadow my mom bought me ages ago...and it just seems really bold to me I'm just sooo not used to seeing myself in purple (and it doesn't match my clothes...and I heard make up is supposed to match your clothes??)

I'm soooo stupid when it comes to these things. There's a wonderful comapny whose stuff is fragrant free but I can't order from them on-line because I pick the wrong colors (even though I picked something in neutral is was the wrong thing!) and I can't afford that! (Sorry for the vent!)

Sephora is a company where my folks live...they have it at the mall..if it is the same as Bare Minerals I'll have a go at it IN PERSON! Yipppeee! In the meantime I might just go to WalMart and spend like $5 on some cheap stuff to get me through. I had no IDEA what a difference it would make in the way my face looks to dye my hair

Thanks ladies for all the help *hugs* PLEASE keep your ideas/comments coming!

*hugs*

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#250830 - 03/08/06 04:02 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks! I'll have to look for this at WalMart! Do you know how much it costs?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#250832 - 03/08/06 04:05 PM
Snow for Sarala

Tina...those colors look beautiful! They look nice and subdued...the purple I have at home is SO BOLD and loud...the colors you chose are soft and elegant. You have great taste!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#250833 - 03/08/06 04:08 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks for the tip :-) I def like the natural look...but on Shabbos (ever Fri night) I like to get dressed up looking! So I'm gonna look for both when I go shopping with my mom/Grammy!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Purple eyeshadow, warm/cool... new
      #250834 - 03/08/06 04:10 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

go to covergirl.com and they have a quiz that will tell you if you are warm/cool tone.

I love covergirl cosmetics bc every box tells you whether the shades are better for warm, cool or neutral (both) complexions. Its a pretty fail proof way to figuring out makeup.

Also... nowadays you are actually not supposed to match your makeup to your clothes.

if you wear blue often.. its reccommended that you try brown and taupes

if you wear green often.. purple looks fabulous with it.

just look for complimentary colors!

--------------------

Is the purple eyeshadow you use bright or light? new
      #250835 - 03/08/06 04:11 PM
Snow for Sarala

Casey you're too cute! I've missed you you know that *hugs How I would LOVE it if all us glas could get together and have a make-up party!!! Let me know when you make it to my side of town

I don't know why but the purple I tried seemed a bit too bright? Maybe I need a ligter shade of purple? What do you use?

I cannot believ I get to be colored like a beautiful woman such as yourself!!!! That is too cool!!! *hugs*

Love ya!

Sar

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#250837 - 03/08/06 04:12 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks for the recommendation *hugs* Btw, do you want to be called hohoyumyum or should I call you something else? :-)

I know we have Sephora in Miami where my fam lives...but I couldn't find Bare Minerals on-line in their area. Are they the same company?

Thanks again *hugs*

Love,

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

as for purple... new
      #250838 - 03/08/06 04:13 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I love purple eyeshadow but you've got to be careful..

try a lighter shade across the lid and only swipe dark purples across the crease. That gives your eyes depth.. but doesn't make you look like you have dark purple shadow all over your lid which doesn't work for many people unless...
A. you are still living in a material world
B. you're going for the smoky eye look.. then it can really work.

--------------------

makeup demonstrations new
      #250854 - 03/08/06 04:59 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I feel so lame reading this thread. I was 18 before I started wearing any makeup. I still don't wear much -- my main goal is to minimize the dark circles under my eyes, and if I don't end up making them look orange instead, that's a bonus.

Anyway, I do agree that a very good thing to do would be to go to the makeup counter at a nice department store and ask the girls there for help. But make sure you pick someone whose makeup looks good!

What I don't agree with, though, is not buying anything. I don't really think it's right to just use them for a free makeup lesson. You don't have to buy everything they offer, but at least spring for one thing! I'd recommend mascara -- there's a definite difference between cheap mascara and the expensive stuff.

Did anyone else love the makeover scenes in lame teen movies? How come the "before" heroine always had fake eyebrows the size of small chipmunks?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Aww! You are the sweetest, you know? new
      #250865 - 03/08/06 06:45 PM
atomic rose

Silly. I don't know about the beautiful part, but I'm glad I get to play big sister and give you makeup tips! Haha. Did I ever mention that I used to sell Mary Kay cosmetics? Now *that* was fun... silly, but fun. LOL!

Anyway, the best way I can describe the purple I use is "muted". I can't go with pastel colors because I find they make me look too washed-out. That's something you'll have to try on your own; your taste may vary from mine.

If you still have that purple, don't throw it out. You can apply a thin layer of another color over it - a brown/gray will tone it down but make it darker, pink (you can even use your blush here as eyeshadow) will blend it into your skintone and make it a little more pastel. You can also lighten it up by brushing some powder over it. I hate throwing money away, so I'm all about combining makeup to make it work somehow. (But if you already got rid of it, that's fine too, obviously!)

You know that if I ever make it to your part of town, you'll be the first to know! *hugs*

#250878 - 03/08/06 07:31 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Sephora carries Bare Minerals make-up. They should also be able to do a consult for you. Most people just address me as hoho but my name is Melissa. You can call me any of them.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#250897 - 03/08/06 08:24 PM
K2

The cheapest lotion I found was at Walmart, about $4-$5 (Canadian) for the bottle of body moisturizer. The face moisturizer I found at a drugstore for $11 (Canadian), and it lasts a lot longer since you don't need much to cover the face.

Someone mentioned the makeup complementing (not matching) clothing, and I stick to that rule as well.

A purple eyeshadow that isn't crazy at all, is from cover girl: http://www.covergirl.com/cgcollection/eyes/shadows/proeye4a.jhtml
the "Ice Princess" one. In general, most CG products don't go on heavy at all, and look more sheer than what you see in the package. Sometimes buying a cheap eyeshadow works and you get lucky, but I find a lot of times they're a bit too much color, or don't stay on properly.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#250899 - 03/08/06 08:25 PM
jaime g

as for warm/cool, if you can't tell if your skin is rosy or golden, think about what colors you wear - do you look better in white or cream? silver or gold? warm colors are red, orange, yellow. cool are green, blue, and purple.

purple eyeshadow can be really soft and neutral - a plum color that's close to brown or rose, rather than bright purple.

hope that helps!

--------------------
jaime

#250927 - 03/09/06 12:06 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hey, this is a fun topic! I want a makeover! I don't have any advice since I haven't worn anything other than lipstick in YEARS. I'm picking up some good tips, even though my coloring is much different from yours. But learning about warm/cool undertones and people's reviews on different makeup brands has been really helpful.

Well, Sarala, once you find the makeup that suits you, you must put up a before and after pic!

Another option is Mary Kay, a consultant would come to your home new
      #250937 - 03/09/06 04:48 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

and show you how to use the product, choose colors good for you, etc. I know in your case that might be helpful? It is a quality product, just sold in a different way (by individual consultants). My SIL sells it and I use some of their stuff.

(((hugs)))

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#250991 - 03/09/06 07:57 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Actually, you don't need to match your maek-up to your clothes! You should wear the colors that look best on you but just because you wear a blue sweater doesn't mean you would wear blue eyeshadow! Sephora is a good store, the girls in there will help you! I use one of their mascara's that I just LOVE!!!

If you thought th epurple was told much, try using a light, natural grain color all over your lid, line eye eye only in the purple and then use a darker, more natural color, like brown in the crease. I do this all the time as I like to wear color eye shadow but don't always want THAT much color!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: matching new
      #251015 - 03/09/06 08:39 AM
jaime g

the current thought is that you actually shouldn't match your makeup to your clothes at all. make sure they don't clash horribly (though if your makeup colors are bold enough to be able to clash with clothing, you should probably be wearing more muted clothes), but other than that, just go with what looks best on your face.

--------------------
jaime

Re: Another option is Mary Kay, a consultant would come to your home new
      #251085 - 03/09/06 11:00 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Michelle! I tried Mary Kay and I LOVED their stuff...but it was too fragrant for me. I'm super sensative to smells...I can only do certain ones (puts a huge damper on my love of scented candles!) and I have multiple chemical sensativity disorder (get it from my mom) from the fibro....

But their products ARE good

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#251087 - 03/09/06 11:03 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks for the tips Michele! Any way you could show me an up-close pic? I'm not sure I followed all of that (Maybe it's my bronchitus making things fuzzy...I'll give it another read when I feel better! )

How are you doing today? *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: matching new
      #251088 - 03/09/06 11:04 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Jaime...I'll keep that in mind Wow, I'm learning SO much!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#251089 - 03/09/06 11:07 AM
Snow for Sarala

I look best in balck, white, dark deep red, hot pink, dark blue...

Does this help? Does this make me warm or cool? I couldn't do the thing on covergirl.com...my computer wouldn't let me work the page (stupid machine!!)

Thanks Jaime *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Sarala new
      #251090 - 03/09/06 11:08 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Our library carries videos/DVDs on how to apply makeup and books about beauty products. One that seems to get checked out a lot is a book called, Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me : a unique guide to over 35,000 products, plus the latest skin-care research by Paula Begoun. There might be information in there about cosmetics for sensitive skin.

Thanks Maria!! new
      #251096 - 03/09/06 11:24 AM
Snow for Sarala

I'll have to check that out next week when I go to the library!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Aww! You are the sweetest, you know? new
      #251099 - 03/09/06 11:28 AM
Snow for Sarala

I'm the SAME WAY...I'm always mixing and matching my lipsticks colors (in fact...my favorite is my blush with a lip liner LOL) I wish I could wear Mary Kay...their stuff is beautiful! And I LOVE L'Bri products...their stuff is all natural....I just wish I had a L'Bri seller in my area so I could try out products. Their stuff is completely fragrance free....ah well...I guess it wasn't meant to be! I'm sure i'll figure out something...I have such wonderful tips here!

And you ARE SO BEAUTIFUL Casey! I wish I were even half as beautiful as you!!!!

Love you *hugs*

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Aww! You're both sweet and beautiful!-nt new
      #251100 - 03/09/06 11:32 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: makeup demonstrations new
      #251101 - 03/09/06 11:36 AM
Snow for Sarala

Hey Jen!

I didn't really start wearing make up until I got married at 23...and even then I hardly wore any! It's just now with the bipolar meds working and my depression being lifted that I am actually beginning to want to wear make up

It's really nice to want to look good and feel good FIANLLY! I truly am beginning to feel like a woman and to love my womanhood in a way I've only "read" about LOL

LOL I never did notice the eyebrow thing...but you make me want to go back and look LOL

I know what you mean about not buying anything! I would feel to guilty to do that. I know my mom/Grammy will buy me at least something when we go to look (they spoil me rotten!) I know they have eyeliner for like a dollar at WalMart and lipstick really cheap...so hopefully I'll look great in no time with very little money spent!!

Thanks again Jen. Btw...thanks for making me laugh. You need to write a book called "The Funny Side" cause you sure have a beautiful and LOL way of looking at things!

P.S. When is your surgery? I want to pray for you...

Love you!

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#251102 - 03/09/06 11:37 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Kat

Those colors seem regal! Stunning! I'll have to be on the lookout for that at WalMart!!!

Thanks again *hugs*

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#251125 - 03/09/06 12:38 PM
jen1013

Hey Sarala (and by the way, I don't think I commented in the other thread on this, but that is a lovely name!),

I'm really glad to hear that you're feeling better!! That's awesome.

I am super-frugal and the best cheap cosmetics I've found is NYC brand. Not sure if Wal-Mart carries their stuff -- I know that Target does. I love their loose powder. It's the best I've found that matches my dead-white vampire skin. I hate the Wet-n-Wild stuff, it sucks!

I don't have any surgeries scheduled right now. I ended up cancelling the procedures I was having this month and scheduled an appointment at the Mayo Clinic instead. I don't know yet what they will be doing at Mayo. I'm sick of being in pain and feeling horrible and being jerked around by doctors -- so I figure I am finally going to straight to the top. I will be going next Wednesday, so sending good vibes my way would be appreciated!

Someday I will have to write a book about everything I've gone through ... but not yet, I don't know how the story ends.

I hope you will continue to feel better, and you'll have to post some pics for us! Oh, and good for your mom and grandmother for spoiling you rotten! You deserve it!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#251129 - 03/09/06 12:46 PM
jaime g

that sounds like you probably have cool undertones. (isn't dark red fun with really pale skin?) anything "cool" or "neutral" would probably work well.

--------------------
jaime

#251147 - 03/09/06 01:21 PM
Snow for Sarala

cool, thanks Jaime! My fav sweater I've ever owned was a dark red chenile sweater. Super soft and cozy!!! (It was also extra large so I felt extrea cozy in it!)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#251149 - 03/09/06 01:25 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Jen *hugs*

i'm sooo glad you're going to mayo clinic. I might end up doing the same if I end up with recurrent bronchitus again (which I'm hoping not to...but we'll see).

You have GOT to write a book. Start now even though you don't know how it ends. You can always end it later Make sure you get it out there before someone else does (like, er, me!) Seriously...I think you should go for it! With your humor esp. (can I take lessons from you btw?), you would write an AWESOME tale!

NYC sometics is that what it's called? And translucent powder you say? I will add it to my make-up hunt list Thanks *hugs*

I love ya Jen!

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#251154 - 03/09/06 01:34 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

If you get cable watch TLC's What not to Wear. They do makeovers and they show how to do makeup. Sounds if you real light skinned you should avoid any harsh colors around your eyes. Now instead of a black line they reccommend a powder brushed along the lash line. Soft and blended. Buy a CHEAP kit with a lot of different colors at K-mart and experiment. The worst you can do is get a good laugh before you wash it off. It may be fun.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#251158 - 03/09/06 01:50 PM
Snow for Sarala

A CHEAP kit...now that's an idea!!!

We don't own a TV...so I def don't get cable...but I will def. be looking for a cheap kit when I go to WalMart next, thanks :-) *hugs*

P.S. How are you Carol? I love this pic of you!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I have a feeling... (sliiiightly O/T) new
      #251168 - 03/09/06 02:26 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

we look alike. I always sort of thought that, don't ask me why.
I've heard that greens look great with greeen eyes. I had mine done in Banff when we went and DH loooved it. I am usu. very plain, and scared of makeup. I've stuck with browns and beiges because I ahve such dark allergic shiners.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

MAC IS FABULOUS!!! new
      #251185 - 03/09/06 03:40 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

I shouldnt be saying this as a ''poor'' student, but when I turned 21 I got some hyper real MAC foundation and I am now obsessed!! Im gona be scrimping n saving to make sure I can get a new one when this one runs out....its fabulous stuff....absolutely amazing and I know what you mean...its addictive! All the eyeshadows are great too my flatmate has a collection and they stay on forever!

Haha, I was just about to sign off when I saw ur post and the MAC MAKEUP thing just screamed at me....what am I like....get a grip natalie its makeup for gods sake but what would a girl do without it?????

Now dont get me started on Mascara.....now that is an obsession....

--------------------
Natalie

Re: I have a feeling... (sliiiightly O/T) new
      #251241 - 03/09/06 06:34 PM
Snow for Sarala

I WISH I were as pretty as you!!!! I have a heart-shaped face (it looks kinda like Reese Witherspoon's), with shoulder length dark hair and hazel eyes. And I wear glasses.

I think red hair is beautiful btw! Is yours nautral? I've tried red...it doesn't suit me *pouts*

Green eh? I used to have some green eyeshadow...threw it out. Most of my make up is YEARS old...from my mom and Grammy's samples stash from Clinique and so on. Eventually you HAVE to throw the stuff away.

Green. I'll be on the look out!

P.S. Any pics to share of you with your green eye do?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Michele, Natalie, and your good friend MAC new
      #251243 - 03/09/06 06:37 PM
Snow for Sarala

Is their stuff fragrant free? Perhaps I should hit more than one make-up counter when I'm in Miami?

Why do you like MAC so much exactly? Can it be described with words or do you just have to wear it to believe it?

And Natalie...what colors do you wear? You have my color hair it looks like!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

bump for Michele and Natalie! n-t new
      #251436 - 03/10/06 01:30 PM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#251444 - 03/10/06 01:49 PM
jen1013

The makeup line is called NYC: New York Color. I love the loose face powder -- the translucent shade is the palest I've been able to find anywhere. And, like I said, it is super cheap. Probably because it is made of like fish tank gravel or something and is totally ruining my complexion, but oh well.

I used to use those awful powder compacts with that hard slab of face powder and that tiny thin little piece of sponge, but then I read in a book (it wasn't a makeup book or anything, actually, but some novel) that you should always use loose face powder and apply it with a large brush. So I tried it and loved it and never went back. The brush I use is, I think, actually a blush brush. Whatever the cheapest one on the shelf was.

I think I will write a book about the frustrations of being misdiagnosed with IBS over and over when the real problem is a gynecological disease. I'm going to call it "Being Irritable." Ha ha.

Hope you're still doing OK with your bronchitis. I've had it a couple times and it's horrible.

--------------------
jen

#251495 - 03/10/06 04:07 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks for the tips! Perhaps I will try translucent powder next. Why do you say the stuf is ruining your complexion and why do you keep using it if it is?

I would love to read a book titled "Being Irritable"! Sounds like my kinda book!!! :-) Let me know when I can expect to see it in print...or better yet...if you need an editor I'm your gal!

Well...it looks like a sinus infection and the bronchitus is getting better...so good riddens to one and hello to another. Oh well...as long as it doesn't become chronic (it used to be!), I'm a happy camper

How are you doing/feeling? Are you excited about your trip to Mayo Clinic? PLEASE post and let us know how it goes (I want so desperately to remember the date of your appointment but I am just too foggy atm ) *hugs*

Sending you a happy and healthy weekend!

Love,

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Haha....dont get me started..... new
      #251499 - 03/10/06 04:23 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

or I'll never stop!! hehe...I LOVE LOVE LOVE turquoise...I know you guys out there have different trends and stuff but a real deep turquoise colour has been very fashionable over here for a while....sinead knows what I mean it is her fave colour too....her hen outfit was in that sorta colour....anyways...I will try and find something on the net to post to show you what I mean....but it really is MY colour and accentuates the dark brown eyes/hair....I wear that as an eyeshadow either that or gold/bronzy ones....I usually do my eyes really well...it is my best feature and I use lots of eyeliner/mascara....I love the stuff....not enough to look like a pamela anderson barbie doll or anything, but I work the smoky eyes look very well! I don't know if their stuff fragrant free...google it...but I think it could be. Their fake eylashes are also fabulous...loadsa different types from subtle to extravagant....but theyre great fun for nights out. People always comment on my makeup....I couldnt live with out it....makes you feel so much more feminine and is so much fun....as for why I like mac....well it is a try it and you'll see job....my flatmate was obsessed and I never understood the big deal until I tried it myself. The foundatio just glides onto your skin so smoothly and blends fantastically. You really do feel like your skin is free of makeup...none of that heavy business and the hyper real foundation just makes it instantly glow...it gives you that flawless look that celebrities always seem to have.....not saying that I look like a celebrity all the time mind...lol....but you know what I mean. Plus they do eyeshadows in little shimmer pots which are loose powder, they will literally last you years as you only need a tiny bit and it stays on for hours, unlike the cheaper versions. It really is just quality makeup and worth every penny I think. If your not too good on applying eyeshadow, then they do eyeshadow stick/pen things which are really easy and great. This is my tip for fabulous eyes....

Use concealer/highlighter like YSL Touche eclat(famous celeb makeup artist essential) to dab under your eyes and get rid of dark circles....then apply eyeshadow to the main lid but not going too far up....then blend with your fingers up towards you brow slightly, but making sure its very light towards the top. If Im using goldey/bronzy colours then I dab a bit of that shimmery sort of stuff below my eyebrows and blend to make that bit stand out. When I apply eyeshadow I blend it around the outer edges going up towards the brow and keep adding depending on how dark I want it to look, I BLEND ALOT....lots of smokey blending around the edges of the eyes and then apply mascara....usually let it dry and apply another layer of mascara...again depending on how I feel. I will try and find a good pic to post of my eye....my flatmate took a good one ages ago...if not will take one tomorrow and post it so you can see what I mean....hope thats a bit of a help.....gosh....I cant half talk about makeup can I!!! LOL!!!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Haha....dont get me started..... new
      #251728 - 03/11/06 09:09 PM
Snow for Sarala

WOW, Natalie!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! *hugs* This post rocks!

Please send me piccies of your eyes/make-up and any links you find...wow...girl...you sound like you could do this for a profession!!! Thanks for such a lenghty description! I can visualize what you wrote...very articulate (what did you say your studying in uni...I hope you get to use those skills in whatever you're doing!)

Make up is SO much fun and it IS such a femanine thing!

Thanks again!!!

Love,

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 412 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14110

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review