All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Made an appt with another RE
      #250408 - 03/07/06 08:18 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I just made an appt for April 4th to see a different reproductive endocrinologist. The hospital I go to recommended her and when I called and talked with her staff they seemed very nice. I stressed to them over and over, I'm NOT a fertility patient, that I am a "habitual aborter" (lovely diagnoses, huh?!) and that I want to be treated for miscarriages NOT fertility. They said that the dr has several women who she treats who have had repeated miscarriages as well.

Not really sure what I'm expecting as I don't think there is really any other testing they can do. I guess I'm just looking for a fresh set of eyes to review everything and give an opinion. I really don't want to do all the fertility drugs again. I know that I can get pregnant, given some time, so I don't want to do artificial insemination or anything like that either.

I still don't feel like the RE I was seeing before was really addressing the miscarriage problem. She just kept throwing hormones at me and not really treating anything. Since leaving her care, I've been diagnosed with Urea plasma (a bacteria in the cervix) Rheumatoid arthritis, fibro and chlamydia pneumonia. These are some pretty big things that I feel she failed to diagnose.

I'm not really ready to start trying again, maybe in a couple more months but I want to see what this dr has to say and if there is any sort of "treatment" that I should start before trying. I have been very sad the last couple of days and really missing my babies. I guess I feel that I need to be doing something to move forward. If this dr says there isn't anything she can do and I just have to take my chances, well, then, that will be something to think about. Not sure what I would do in that case but I guess I'm just trying to get all the information so I can make some sort of decision.

Also not sure what the point of this post is I guess it just helps me to type things out sometimes! I still read the cards that everyone sent me when I'm sad and it helps to know that so many people care!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Go get em, Michele! new
      #250420 - 03/07/06 08:43 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

{{BIG WARM HUGS}} to you, Michele!!! You deserve someone who cares about your sit, at least a new set of eyes!! Changing doctors is so hard. But once you've made the appointment, it's almost robotic, going through your story, the past diagnoses, the feeling that "there's got to be something else" everybody else is missing. I never thought I could get through my IBS story without tearing up, screaming and throwing things. I hardly ever tear up anymore, and now that my aim is getting better there is hardly ever bloodshed.

You deserve answers, and I know you-- you're never going to stop until you get them. Atta girl, Michele. You make me proud, and YOU give ME hope with your strength of character and personality. We deserve answers, dammit.

You reach out anytime. It's important to reach out! That whole pesky hope thing. I figure if my hope would just go away, I might be a lot happier in the long run not having my hopes continually dashed, you know? These latest run of diagnosises have got me down (I'm with you-- How does anybody miss C. Pneumonia??). We have to connect with each other in times like these. Cos to the doctors, at the end of the day we're nothing but a series of 50 minute appointments. Heartless b^stards. LOL.

I'm with ya, Michele. we've got to all rip away at the truth until we get to the bottom of what's going on with our bodies. I'm tired of this rollarcoaster!! I don't remember buying a ticket for this?! You lean on us as hard as you need to.

~nelly~

Courage, my friend! new
      #250423 - 03/07/06 08:48 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

This sounds like the logical first step back to the issue - especially since receiving the other new diagnosis. (rheumatoid ect..) With a fresh look and the knowledge you have gained from your other experiences perhaps now will be the time for answers. Still remembering you in my prayers and hoping time will reveal what must be done. You are one brave lady!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Courage, my friend! new
      #250432 - 03/07/06 09:02 AM
michele

Thanks Bamagirl. I must admit, I'm not feeling so brave right now. I want a baby so bad but just not sure I could handle another loss. I've had a tough couple of days, just really missing my babies. I think I would be big as a house by now and feeling the babies move all the time and everything, it just makes me cry. You would think that with Spring just around the corner, I'd be feeling better. But somehow, the Spring is reminding me about the circles of life and regrowth and it reminds me of life lost. It seems the world is moving on and I'm still struggling over the loss of my babies and I don't want to move on, I want my babies. I'm sorry, I'm just having a really bad couple of days I guess.

--------------------

Re: Made an appt with another RE new
      #250439 - 03/07/06 09:26 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm really glad you're getting a second opinion. I agree that it's strange that your other RE wasn't looking for another cause for the miscarriages. I'm interested to hear what your new RE will have to say about your situation, miscarriages, and how your recent diagnoses fit in to the overall picture.

Michele, it's great that you're trying to move forward and get all the information you can get. Make sure you keep us updated on your appointment and how things are going with you!

Oh, and I totally understand needing to type things out!

I just keep praying for ya, hugs and more hugs in whatever you decide! nt new
      #250442 - 03/07/06 09:29 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Where did my post go? new
      #250450 - 03/07/06 09:55 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I swear I replied to this earlier!
Anyway, I wanted to say that I think getting a second (or third or fourth) opinion is a good idea when it's something this important. Especially if you have reason to feel your previous RE didn't quite live up to your expectations.

I'm also glad to hear that you haven't completely given up hope, but that you're keeping a level head about things. I'm sure that's really hard to do, so good job!

I have my third appt this saturday, and I can't help being totally afraid that I'll find out something is wrong and the baby is dead. We will get to try and hear the heartbeat for the first time, and if we do, then I know I'll feel much better. It's just hard for me to "have faith" when I know so many people who have had problems. I've got no physical symptoms that would lead me to believe there is a problem...but sometimes there aren't any!

--------------------

Re: Courage, my friend! new
      #250455 - 03/07/06 10:07 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Grieving takes time and that time differs from person to person. It still has only been a short time for you. Bad days will still come....just further apart. To me, the fact that you feel that loss only ensures that your next decisions/plans are made with careful, deliberate consideration. You will know when the time is right. Hang in there!! Love and hugs and continued prayer for you, Michelle.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#250460 - 03/07/06 10:12 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I think this is a good idea. Especially since you are not ready to give up the fight. (which I don't think you should yet) A good fresh set of eyes really helps and different docotrs have different perspecitves. I am sorry you are hurting right now. I understand because my baby would have been due March 3 and I should be holding a new baby in my arms. I just thank God every day that I have been able to find aome answers to what caused my miscarriages. So I can certainly understand the need for answers. I will tell you this. The high risk doctor I saw said that miscarriages that aren't related to chromosonal problems means that there is another underlying cause. So don't give up hope. *hugs and love*

#250498 - 03/07/06 11:33 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Good luck. I think you are doing the right thing trying another dr. Each dr. approaches things differently and hopefully this one will see something different that will help. I'll be praying things go well and I would be sad too if I went through all you have. (((hugs)))

*HUG* good luck to you! new
      #250501 - 03/07/06 11:42 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

one thing I hope they bring up if you haven't done it already- have genetic testing done! that was the end of the line for me- thats when I found out why I was miscarrying... and once I knew I had to make an educated decision.. in our case that was that I didn't want a child badly enough of MY own to go through what was needed (it was half my bad genetics mixed with his that gave us the 10% chance of a live baby!)

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Good for you Michele new
      #250575 - 03/07/06 01:25 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I admire your courage! You do whatever you need to do whenever you feel ready to do it! I agree, another opinion...or even a third, certainly is worth the time for something so important to you.

Keep us updated. Glad you're cards continue to bring you comfort and remind you that you are not alone. We all care so much!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Thanks Beth! new
      #250591 - 03/07/06 01:55 PM
michele

I've lost count as to how many dr's I've seen but I guess one more can't hurt! Maybe they will have the answers I'm looking for.

--------------------

Re: Thanks Amie new
      #250593 - 03/07/06 01:56 PM
michele

Both will and I had a full genetic work-up last Spring. No answers there. They also know that 4 or the 5 babies (one was not tested) were chromosomally normal. I really think its related to my immune system, maybe the placquenil I'm on will help.

--------------------

Re: Thanks torbetta new
      #250595 - 03/07/06 01:57 PM
michele

I'm hoping this dr will see something the others aren't!

--------------------

#250597 - 03/07/06 01:58 PM
michele

I know you fully understand Angela, I know how hard due dates are. I'm hoping they have you figured out and you'll be pregnant again in no time! Lets just hope my new dr can come up with some ideas for me.

--------------------

Re: Thanks Ginger new
      #250598 - 03/07/06 01:59 PM
michele

I know its so hard not to worry but I'm sure everything will be fine with you! Good luck at your appt!

--------------------

Re: Thanks Michelle -nt new
      #250599 - 03/07/06 02:00 PM
michele

--------------------

Re: Thanks Nelly! new
      #250604 - 03/07/06 02:06 PM
michele

Yeah, I wonder if maybe I should just forget the whole baby thing and start dealing with the fact that I won't have one. But then I think how bad I want one but I know the pain of losing one (ok, 5) so maybe its best not to try at all??? I know thats the easy way out but how many times should I have to go through this?? ARGHHHHHH!!!!!

I figure I'll type out a general outline of my "fertility" history and just hand it to her with copies of the relevant stuff from my volumes of files! That way, we can just play 20 questions and maybe I won't have a total breakdown in her office.

Thanks for the support, I know I can always count on you for a laugh!

--------------------

#250606 - 03/07/06 02:10 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Good for you! Even if you're not ready to start trying again, it won't hurt to see this new RE.

I always wonder what responsibilities the different doctors have. Should a RE really be the one to discover you have RA or fibro or whatever? It is easy for me to get angry because I saw a zillion doctors and no one even thought about my having endometriosis (which I do, in spades) -- but none of those doctors was a gynecologist. So I'm not sure if I really have the right to be angry.

(And am I the only one whose GI did a breast exam?)

It's tough and frustrating when the doctors don't seem to be helping much. I really hope that you eventually find some kind of peace.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#250607 - 03/07/06 02:10 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Michele, this is GREAT!!! *hugs* You keep on keeping on and looking for answers...I've no doubt you will eventually find them I'm soooooo proud of you for staying strong and for reaching out ansd posting your thoughts to us...we all LOVE to hear from you and we want to know how you're doing as you are a beloved member of these boards *more hugs*

I'm going to say a prayer for you when I finish this post that G-d should grant you knowledge and faith to continue on your difficult journey throughout all of this madness. You're doing GREAT Michele!!! I love you!

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Michele *DELETED* new
      #250636 - 03/07/06 04:24 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

good luck.. I hope it all works out fine for you... new
      #250701 - 03/08/06 04:55 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

I just wanted to make sure you'd had that done since I know someone else recently who went through all kinds of stuff to find they hadn't had that done and when they went that suddenly explained everything.

Good luck!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#250714 - 03/08/06 07:17 AM
michele

Thanks Sarala! I'm trying to stay strong but its so hard sometimes. Thanks for the love and support, it means a lot to me!

--------------------

#250716 - 03/08/06 07:22 AM
michele

Thanks Jen. I guess the only reason why I'm angry with the other RE is because she lumped me in with all the "regular fertility" patients. I CAN get pregnant, I just can't STAY pregnant. Autoimmune issues, such as RA and infections such as the urea plasma and c. pneumonie can all have effects on the outcome of a pregnancy. I try not to blame anyone for the loss of my babies but I can't help but to ask myself if I had been treated for these things before I got pregnant, would my twins still be with me?

--------------------

Re: Michele new
      #250717 - 03/08/06 07:23 AM
michele

Thanks Shelby! I hope I get to find out one day!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 157 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2007

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review