Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Janey, you are in my thoughts..... new
      #249953 - 03/04/06 07:49 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Janey,

I'm sorry you are having to go through this with your mom.I know it is very tough. My niece (34 yrs old) is addicted to Darvocet pain pills. It started out with taking them for back pain, then toothaches, now just anything she can come up with. She has been to de-tox several times but always goes back to the pills. She will even go to different doctors that don't know she's addicted and get them. I don't know how to help her anymore but the future doesn't look good for her.

Wishing you luck in coping with this from someone who's been there, too.

Barbie

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Good thoughts coming your way new
      #249962 - 03/04/06 08:25 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I'm so sorry you're going through this. My friend's grandmother was in the same boat and even went to the extent of hiding pills so her daughter wouldn't find them and take them away. They found pills all over the house, under lamps and in pockets of sweaters. The way my friend described it was, "It'd be hillarious if it weren't so sad." This is so hard on families, I don't think the addicts even realize.

I'm sending good, positive thoughts your way! Stay strong.

~nelly~

Re: thoughts and prayers needed
      #249963 - 03/04/06 08:30 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

You are so strong, H!! It takes a lot of self-sacrifice and looking inward to be as strong as you've had to become. We can all learn a lesson from you, and I'm so glad you're on the boards. *HUGS*

~nelly~

I am praying for you both! -nt- new
      #249972 - 03/04/06 09:42 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Thank you all new
      #249975 - 03/04/06 10:02 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

You have helped me more than you can know. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences with me and for your thoughts and prayers.

The hardest part for me is feeling so guilty that I should be doing something to help her. Just hearing from others that I have to look after myself and that there is nothing I can do to help her makes me feel much better. I always feel such turmoil inside and it is driving me crazy. I have been having migraines every week now for some time. I didn't realize the stress that I was under.

It was very difficult for me to open up and talk about this. I feel that I have lost the mother that I knew and it isn't something you can really talk to others about.

Thank you very much for your support. It means so much to me.

--------------------
Janey

Melissa new
      #249976 - 03/04/06 10:10 AM
Janey

I am sorry that you have gone through all of this. I thank you very much for your advise. I have to realize that I can't help her and honestly at 72 I don't see her ever getting off this stuff. Every time the phone rings I think it is going to be the dreaded call.

I am very proud of you for realizing at such a young age that drinking wasn't the way to go. This is such a difficult situation to deal with and for you to have so many family members who are addicts I can't imagine what you must be going through.

I am lucky that my mothers addiction started when I was an adult. Unfortunately her grandchildren have grown up with their grandmother being an addict. I worry about them and how it will effect them.

I had a strange upbringing where my mother was very self involved and usually put her interests first. I am used to that. My sister and I learned early on that the only person we could really count on was each other. We are very close now because of that.

Again thank you.

--------------------
Janey

Re: thoughts and prayers needed *DELETED* *DELETED* new
      #250020 - 03/04/06 04:18 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Re: thoughts and prayers needed *DELETED* new
      #250075 - 03/05/06 07:14 AM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Post deleted by TeeCee

Shelby new
      #250094 - 03/05/06 09:03 AM
Janey

Thank you for your support. I have to agree that these docs who continue to prescribe addictive pain meds for patients have to take some responsibility. It is a very frustrating situation.

--------------------
Janey

TeeCee new
      #250095 - 03/05/06 09:08 AM
Janey

Thank you very much for writing. It does help knowing that others are experiencing that same thing. I watched an Oprah show a while back about a woman trying to get off this stuff and she was having a very bad time. This is why I know that my mother will never stop taking it. She cannot or will not go through the detox.

The slurred conversations keep me from calling her most of the time. I just can't handle hearing her like that. She choses to believe that because her doc prescribes these meds that it is ok. Shame on him is what I say. He is a professional and should know what oxycodone does to someone. I guess you may be able to sense a bit of anger here.

I pray for her everyday because there is nothing else I can do.

Again thank you for sharing and your support.

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 505 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1688

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review