All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pregnancy & IBS
      #249591 - 03/01/06 05:22 PM
spooky1991

Reged: 02/03/03
Loc: Kirkland, WA

I could not find the right board to ask questions about this subject. My ibs seems much worse while pg. I have worse constipation and bloating and in a lot of pain. I am 11 weeks pg and the last two weeks have been bad. When I go to the bathroom it is quite gross. Does anyone have these problems or advice how to help this?

Gina

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pregnancy & IBS new
      #249592 - 03/01/06 05:40 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

Hi~ I am 7 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. I did not develop IBS until after giving birth to my first child. So this pregnancy is totally different, I am D prominent and it had been horrible. I am just really cautious as to what I eat and make sure I eat alot of soluble fiber. I think I may bring on my D by eating/drinking things I should not be like a 1/2 glass of milk and lots of veggies and fruits every once in a while, but I feel that I need those extra vitamins. I usually just tolerate it and after a few trips to the bathroom I am ok so I save the immodium for trips or long days out of the house. Good luck and congratulations!

#249596 - 03/01/06 06:02 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh good Gina I'm glad you posted here...there are LOTS of girls here who can give you advise.... sorry I could not help you more via email....but I've never been PG.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#249641 - 03/02/06 07:48 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

If C is a problem while pregnant, try over the counter stool softeners. You can get them at any drug store by the laxatives, although they aren't a laxative, they just soften the stool and help you to go. I am C predominant as well and although I've lost all my babies by 12.5 weeks, I still got even more C while pregnant. I use a prescription called Miralax, which is an osmotic laxative which is safe for pregnancy but you do need a prescription from your dr. I would try drinking more water, I'm talking a huge glass every hour kind of thing, yes, you'll have to pee more too but the extra water will help the C and its good for baby. Try adding in the stool softener twice a day, morning and night and see if that doesn't help as well. You may also want to increase your SFS, I use Acacia and I've also used fibercon! Also, be sure to get some sort of exercise. I know I was super sick with morning sickness but I know on the days I was at least able to take a short walk or was active around the house, it also helped with the C!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Here's the official post... new
      #249870 - 03/03/06 01:04 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

IBS & Pregnancy

#253980 - 03/23/06 10:59 AM
MrBlueSky

Reged: 03/23/06
Loc: Bellevue, WA, USA

Please help!!!

My wife is 6 weeks pregnant and is in almost the same situation as rn21666. I am desperate to give her relief. With our previous pregnancy, I rushed her to the ER about every 2 weeks... and it continued long after birth... until about a year ago. Since the GPs, ER docs, OB/GYNs AND the GI docs have no idea what causes her to be so sick, they slapped the "IBS" label on her.

Now, she is pregnant again and is very, VERY ill (again). Her OB says the illness isn't related to her pregnancy... but I know better.

Please, people... can you help with advice. We've tried EVERYTHING... ginger root, tamarind, etc. etc. etc.

No one has been able to give good advice.

So, I am praying that someone out on this blog is reading this and knows what she is going through... and has another idea to try.

With our last pregnancy, her pain, nausea and vomiting occurred so often that I came within about 8 hours or so of ordering an abortion... simply because of my wife's long term health.

#254030 - 03/23/06 02:29 PM
michele

If she is only 6 weeks, could this be extreme "morning sickness?" There is an anti nausea medication the doctors can prescribe her while she is pregnant. Is she having diarrhea or constipation?

--------------------

#254218 - 03/24/06 12:21 PM
MrBlueSky

Reged: 03/23/06
Loc: Bellevue, WA, USA

Hey Michele. Thanks for your response. No... we saw this same illness/extreme pain with our middle daughter as well (2003-2004).

She vomits about 6 or more times a day... and the OB doc says that over 3 times a day is cause for alarm.

She is not constipated but she had 1 bout of diarrhea about 2 weeks ago... nothing serious.

It really boils down to the extreme pains and the nausea/vomiting. We got an Rx for Zofran ODT... I'll get that filled in the next day or so.

The OB doc placed restrictions on her to light duty at work (she is a housekeeper at a hotel), she must be allowed to eat constantly (string cheese, instant mashed potatos or sweet potatos with butter, etc) in order to keep nausea at bay and the doc wrote on the note to allow her to either clean less rooms or to allow her to take extra time per room.

We're trying this out. We'll see how well it works. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed!)

#254230 - 03/24/06 01:03 PM
michele

Hopefully the Zofran will help. The b vitamins, b-6 and b-12 are also helpful with mausea related to pregnancy, maybe ask her dr about this as well! Hope she feels better soon.

--------------------

#255594 - 03/31/06 03:56 PM
JenH

Reged: 03/31/06

HI, I have an IBS type problem. SEVERE pain, vomiting and Diarrhea. I am 18 weeks pregnant. I have had this my whole life. My 1st pregnancy I had a 9 months break. This time it is worse than EVER!! I almost called 911 this week for the first time. LISTEN. The only thing that has ever worked for me is hydrocodone. Half of a 7 mg pill at the FRIST sign of an episode and the entire episode stops. I have asked my OBGYN, GI guy, and another doc I have, a medical internist for pregnant women with other diseases. They all said that it was ok to take in small doses. I told them I would only take it about 2x /mo and they said it would be ok. ASK YOUR DOCTOR. See what they say. Good luck. I can empathize, i am not as sick as your wife , but what I deal with is extremely hard.
Jen

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2145 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1813

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review