All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Has anyone had a elective C-section?
      #249462 - 03/01/06 11:59 AM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

I am pregnant with my 2nd child and now that I have IBS I am terrified with the thought of a vaginal delivery. I had such a hard time having a bowel movement after my first vaginal delivery that I am scared with me being D prominent that it will increase my postpartum pain. I had a huge tear last time as well as hemorrohids so it was bad enough. So those two things on top of IBS just scares me to no end. I am only 7 weeks and I see my doctor in 2 more weeks and was going to see what her opinion was and if she has ever had a patient in the same situation as I am. My IBS seems to have gotten worse with my pregnancy and not better. I am curious if anyone has had a elective C-section and what your post-partum issues were/are.

Thanks for your advice~ Brandy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Had 2 CSections but they weren't elective.... new
      #249509 - 03/01/06 01:43 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

And let me tell you, they're no picnic. I had trouble having a BM after a C, too, so don't think you'll avoid that problem just by having a C Section. If you've already had a baby, chances are the second vaginal delivery will be better, since your muscles have already been stretched. Generally, they don't encourage elective c-sections anymore, unless there are special circumstances.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Has anyone had a elective C-section? new
      #249515 - 03/01/06 01:49 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I would say that having C-section would be harder on your system. I had a vaginal birth and I pooed about 5 days after delivery with minimal problems. My friend on the other hand had a c-section (not by choice) and has no pooing problems and it took her over a week to have a bowel movement because of the pain medication. When she did have her movement she told me it was the size of a softball. I would also agree with Alicia that hopefully next time around you won't have to push to much. Good Luck!

#249715 - 03/02/06 12:23 PM
BethE

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: Syracuse, NY

I had three C's - two emergent and one scheduled. Never got to hvae a vaginal delivery. The scheduled was much better than labor followed by an emergency C. I am D, and had no troubel, other than being completley unable to push, after my C. Of course, I was not IBS anything until after hte third C, so I cannot tell you if it will help or make things worse. I read soemwhere that ab surgery increases your chances of having IBS symptoms later, but do not nkow if it is true. It's been a long time. On the other hand, my SIL had her first C with her third baby, and much better time trying to poo, as she didn't tear from stem to stern! Really need to talk with your OB/GYN, and might even give your gastro a call on this one. Good luck!

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

#249724 - 03/02/06 12:52 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I haven't had a C section but I did have two abdominal surgeries. One I had my left ovary and fallopian tube removed and a year later had a total hysterectmy. I had 3 vaginal births.

Nothing I delt with after the vaginal births was as difficult or painful as my abdominal surgeries. Also, my IBS has been worse since my last surgery 13 years ago. My stomach muscles have never been the same either. Hard to get them in shape since those stomach muscles were cut.

My first birth was harder on my body than the second and by the third she just popped out. I think you will have an easier time since your body has already been stretched out.

I would talk to your OB about your concerns. I don't remember having much trouble pooping afterwards but it has been a long time now, my youngest is 16.

Good luck!

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 404 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2140

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review