All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Back from the rheumatologist - AARGH?!
      #249242 - 02/28/06 04:03 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Well, let's just say I wish I could drop-kick something. A doctor, maybe? I'm just kidding! I'm not a violent person, really, but I am frustrated right now.

On the bright side, we went over my bloodwork - everything was normal, so normal in fact that I was smack dab in the middle of all the various ranges. Only one test came up a little on the high side, and that was the TIBC (total iron-binding capacity). He said this woudn't affect my health, and it's probably due to the BC pill I'm on. He asked if I was on a iron supplement and I said, "Nope. I don't even eat red meat!" (So, there you go, you can get all the nutrients you need on this diet! )

He went through my symptoms asked me if anyone in my family has RA. My father and maternal grandmother have RA, possibly an aunt, so that increases my risk but doesn't mean I'll get it. Today was a good day for me, so I didn't have a lot of pain or swelling; only my toes hurt and he said he could feel swelling in those joints. Because I didn't have any swelling or inflammation anywhere else today he couldn't make a diagnosis. This is where it gets frustrating - if I had come in a few weeks ago, when I was having the noticeable swelling he might have been able to see what's wrong. But for some reason, today my body was fine. (That was this morning, now I'm getting the swelling and stiffness again.)

I told him that I didn't know what to do anymore, because obviously and according to the tests I'm healthy. I'm really happy about that, but it's frustrating to be missing so much work, so much life, because of those days I do experience symptoms. I told him that because no one can find anything wrong, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with me. I know I have anxiety issues but they don't really seem to affect the stiffness, pain, and swelling one way or another. He was very kind and said that just because he couldn't find the signs or markers of a problem that didn't mean my symptoms were merely in my head.

He said it just meant he couldn't find anything wrong with my joints and that was a good thing because it meant my body isn't doing damage to itself. He said that sometimes you can only make a diagnosis when an autoimmune disorder is active and right now, today, if it is an autoimmune problem, it was inactive.

He sent me for more bloodwork to check for other autoimmune disorders (one for Lupus, a new test that can check for RA in its early stages but can also give you a false positive). I was too upset to write down the names of those tests, but I have an appointment to see him again in three weeks. Next week I see my PCP to go over the lab work again and do a med check.

Thanks for all your support everyone! I'm feeling kind of down right now, you know, frustrated and confused. But I know how fortunate I am that all my blood work came back normal and to know that I really am healthy.

Edited by Maria! Maria! (02/28/06 04:43 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: forgot to mention... new
      #249252 - 02/28/06 04:25 PM
lalala

My rheumatoid factor test wasn't back yet, but he seemed to think it would just come back negative.

FYI: Name of that second blood test for RA new
      #249255 - 02/28/06 04:32 PM
lalala

Anti-CCP
http://arthritis.about.com/od/radiagnosis/f/anticcp.htm

(Okay, I'll stop replying to myself now. Hee hee. )

My aunt always said... new
      #249295 - 02/28/06 06:09 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

that sometimes a person needs to talk to herself if she wants to have an intelligent conversation.

Quote:

But I know how fortunate I am that all my blood work came back normal and to know that I really am healthy.

Well, I wouldn't feel that way. I wouldn't want something bad or chronic or serious, of course, but if I felt sick all the time, I'd want something in my blood work to be way out of line. I was always so glad when I felt awful to go to my endocrinologist and have her say, "Yup, we need to up your Synthroid again."

This may be a dumb question, but as far as your rheumatologist needing your symptoms to be active in order to make a diagnosis, could you just call your rheumatologist on a bad day and say, "Hey, I'm having a terrible day. Can I come over right now?"

I'm sorry you still don't have a diagnosis, Maria. Let us know how the tests come out.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: My aunt always said... new
      #249311 - 02/28/06 07:33 PM
lalala

Quote:

that sometimes a person needs to talk to herself if she wants to have an intelligent conversation. So true.

Quote:

But I know how fortunate I am that all my blood work came back normal and to know that I really am healthy.

Well, I wouldn't feel that way. I wouldn't want something bad or chronic or serious, of course, but if I felt sick all the time, I'd want something in my blood work to be way out of line. I was always so glad when I felt awful to go to my endocrinologist and have her say, "Yup, we need to up your Synthroid again." That was me trying to be positive. It sounds so canned, doesn't it? I spent a good amount of energy swearing up a storm after the visit and decided to balance it out with something positive. Really, I would love it if a doctor said, "It's so simple and easy to take care of! I know exactly what's wrong with you!" And it would be nice if he/she added an "A-HA!" at the beginning just for fun.

This may be a dumb question, but as far as your rheumatologist needing your symptoms to be active in order to make a diagnosis, could you just call your rheumatologist on a bad day and say, "Hey, I'm having a terrible day. Can I come over right now?" That's a good question. When I was waiting to get my bloodwork done my fingers started to swell. I considered running back to the rheumy's office to show him...I'm going to ask my doctor about that. Or maybe I should do something before I go in that usually causes a flare-up - like scrubbing the tub or something.

I'm sorry you still don't have a diagnosis, Maria. Let us know how the tests come out. Thanks, Sand. It'll be a few weeks before the results for those newer tests get back, but I'll be sure to update.

Re: Back from the rheumatologist - AARGH?! new
      #249344 - 03/01/06 07:00 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

It's kind of weird. Here my doctors want me to see a rhuemy doctor because of possible autoimmune problems and I don't have any symptoms but they seem to think something might be there while you have symptoms and your doc's don't think anything is wrong. (sigh) To me it's just a big pain in the butt sometimes to deal with your health. Again I truly believe you have to be an advocate for your own health and body. Good Luck with everything Maria. I hope you find some answers!

#249457 - 03/01/06 11:53 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hugs sweetie!! I know how frustrating it is to be sick and for the dr's to not know whats wrong. And why does it seem that our bodies are always on their best behavior while we are at the dr's office but as soon as we leave, they act up again! I would definitely call them the next time your having a lot of swelling and just say, I need him to see me like this now! As I mentioned before, you can have RA without the positive blood test but it is hard to diagnose, especially if there is no swelling on examination. Have you tried taking Advil when it hurts? It seems to take the edge off a bit for me and physical therapy does seem to be helping also. Hang in there, I hope you gut some answers soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#249496 - 03/01/06 12:59 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

This sounds SUPER frsurating! Did you ever call the doc and find out if you can just come in and show him how inflammed things are when you have a flare up? I like the idea of doing something to make things flare before your next appointment (I just hate that you have to go through pain to get properly Dx!! )

How are you doing today? Yoyu mentioned that you were swelling up yesterday...has it gone down yet? *hugs*

Sending you lots of love and continued strength and courage on your journey on the road to answers and recovery *hugs*

Lots of love,

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Yeah the Citrulline test.... new
      #249874 - 03/03/06 01:10 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...is pretty good. I'm still waiting to have that one.

Sounds like RA to me. You ever had Psoriasis???

Re: Linz... new
      #250923 - 03/08/06 11:16 PM
lalala

I'm not sure how often you check these boards anymore...but thanks for taking the time to pop in here and reply. How are things going with you? I hope you're feeling better. Are you still in a flare-up?

No, I haven't had psoriasis. Is the citrulline test also known as anti-CCP?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 554 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5118

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review