Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
life is funny sometimes
      #24866 - 10/29/03 09:44 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Hi everyone,
just needed to talk, having one of those life is funny times.
Ist I'm job hunting, I hate it.
2nd we rescued a 2yr old Doxie, she has the sweetest face
and her Name is Maggie.
we were told she was fixed by previous owner, guess what
she's not! now waiting out til she can have surgery.
She isn't house broken and vet said best way to teach her
is never let her out of my site in the house. And not safe to leave her outside by herself.
So we roam the house together her leash looped in my belt.
seriously that's what vet said to do.
3rd I'm taking another computer graphics class in the evening.
I feel like someone upabove is having a good laugh
as I struggle to make it to bathroom (IBS-D) with
little dog in tow! thank goodness for healther and her books I don't have the D everyday.
meanwhile when I take Maggie outside to go potty,
she looks up at me as if to say "why are we here?" she can hold it all day!
LOL, got to laugh, and hope things are better in a few weeks.
Anyone have tips on house training a dog.
Paintlady

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: life is funny sometimes new
      #24868 - 10/30/03 01:22 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Not sure about house training a dog, but can sympathise about the loo-company! My family's dog has a real thing about not missing anything and he follows my Mum and I into the loo - you can't get ANY privacy from him! Mum says it's like having toddlers again.

Oh yeah...job hunting sucks, doesn't it.

Linz

#24874 - 10/30/03 04:02 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi PL! So good to see you!

You sure do have your plate full, don't you? LOL

Luckily my dog learned in about 2 weeks to potty outside, and she was only about 10-12 weeks old. I think I was blessed! LOL

Besides the obvious of telling them NO! and rushing them outside as soon as you see them start to 'assume the position', I have seen something on a dog training video where if they do have an accident, tell them no, then when you clean it up with a towel or something, take that towel outside to the spot where they should be going, so they can associate that spot with their 'potty scent'. Also, they say take them to the same spot always so they make that their potty spot.

Also, they have videos to help give you tips on training at the library - that's where I borrowed mine from.

Good luck on the potty training!

#24998 - 10/30/03 09:25 PM
paintlady

thanks everyone,
Linz for understanding and Mags for the tip (video at library)I'll check it out at my library. Can't believe the previous owner couldn't house train our little maggie, she is so smart. She tries to please and has a sweet personality. I'm wondering if the scar on her tummy has anything to do with her holding it so long before she goes. (she had surgery as a puppy old owner said beacuse of being hit by a car!) He lied about so many things don't know what to believe. She sure seems to like being with us. She makes us laugh, we've had her only 3 weeks now and seems she has always been part of our family.
Paintlady

#25052 - 10/31/03 11:22 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I can just see you walking around the house with this dog tied to you! I never could do that because of the stairs. I would be tripping all over myself.
Make sure you make a big fuss when she does go! Jump up and down with joy, praise her in a sweet voice, give her a belly rub, and then run to the treat box! That will make her catch on fast.
Also, use the same phrase every time you want her to go---such as "let's go potty" and she will learn to do it on command. This is good for cold, rainy nights when you want her to hurry up!
My neighbors must think I'm a nut, because I get so excited when my smallest beagle finally urinates! Ha!

#25054 - 10/31/03 11:23 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

My big beagle follows me into the bathroom and sits and watches me. Don't know why he's so fascinated, but if I want any privacy, I have to close the door. Worse than my boys when they were little!

#25105 - 10/31/03 09:17 PM
paintlady

Hi Bl,
thanks for the info, Yes sometimes I also wonder what our neighbors must be thinking as I say Maggie go potty and then cheer "good girl Maggie" LOL.
Paintlady

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 648 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1131

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review