Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Nelly, on these 8 Immodium nights...
      #247750 - 02/21/06 10:22 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

...I think of you!

How's life?

I think it's safe to attempt sleep now. I think I've past the fear of farting. Maybe I'll give up vegetables FOREVER.
I hardly eat any at all anymore. Honestly, it's just one of those eat Immodium like Pez candy days. Maybe I need a Pez dispenser for my Immodium Advanced!

Lots of organic chicken boob soup & flat gingerale to get those electrolytes back in line. (And knowing me tons of forbidden coffee--but cold. Hot coffee is too triggering!)

I have the most raw bum right now.

Okay, enough pointless babble. Time to crash. I think it's safe now.

Kate.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh Wind!! HUGS! new
      #247761 - 02/22/06 05:39 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Oh, you poor child. {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} big time!! Lol, yes, you know I will always know EXACTLY what you are going through. I'm so glad your sense of humor is still turned on though your other parts must feel ready to shut down at this point!

I messed up a seemingly safe chicken boob (rofl) sandwich yday for lunch with bbq sauce... Flash forward 1 hour and nelly's in severe pain the rest of the day. No D, just owie.

Hey good idea on the pez dispensers! I think we ALL need specialized pez dispensers for imodium!! My imodium dispenser would have a Goofy's head on it to remind me why I was in my predicament! I hope you're feeling better by now and have gotten some sleep. No bad food for you today! Stay safe and rest up,

~nelly~

Food (or drink) for thought! new
      #247775 - 02/22/06 06:54 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

First, sorry you had such a bad night! And hope you feel better now.

But, I honestly think you need to give up the coffee (as well as the sugar free gum) if you are ever going to be better with the diarrhea. I know you love it...but it really is such a trigger for D and other problems. Have you tried Teecinno (if you can handle inulin). Or just try and stick to herbal teas with sugar or rice milk for flavor. I have like 10 different flavors and drink it all day long.

You could just do this for an experiment for a few weeks.

I don't think it's just the hotness of the coffee...I think it is the ingredients itself.

Hugs...and hope you feel better soon....no matter what you decide to do. I hope you aren't offended by my suggestions....I'm just trying to be honest and help you, Kate.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Oh Wind!! HUGS! new
      #247782 - 02/22/06 07:24 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

One word for the sore bum, BABY WIPES!!! Ok, I guess thats two words but I keep a tub of baby wipes next to the pot at home AND the office for days like these!! I'm usually IBS C but for some reason the last few months, I've gone D and theres nothing worse than a sore bum with D!! Hope you're feeling better today!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Nelly, on these 8 Immodium nights... new
      #247789 - 02/22/06 07:50 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Kate, I hope you woke up this morning with a rested bum and confident farts. (Have you ever noticed how different they are after you take imodium?)

Thanks for the hugs! new
      #247821 - 02/22/06 10:07 AM
Wind

BABY WIPES, definitely! I'm out. However, I'm zipping out now for some. Thanks for the hugs. I more or less popped some sleeping pills and slept off the worst of the battle and feel better after some flat gingerale this morning.

I do hate that raw bum feeling though. I doubt I can even face a vegetable again. I'm afraid of even touching an herb, today.

I used some chilis, 2 days ago and have been paying the price.

AND YES, I'm totally an IBS diet deviant, so...NO WONDER.

Kate.

Fart confidence, indeed, Maria... new
      #247823 - 02/22/06 10:11 AM
Wind

They put simethecone in Immodium Advanced--that's the difference! Actually, I take that most days. It really helps with D gassiness.

I scared the crap out of my Dad, though...I didn't order any vegetables this week.

Kate.

Beth, you are probably right, however-- new
      #247826 - 02/22/06 10:18 AM
Wind

...I haven't smoked a cigarette in 10 weeks and chewing gum really helps maintain that non-smoking habit. Also, my D is worse (volatile) when I smoke. Also, chewing gum distracts me from my nausea/dry mouth (a side effect of anti-convulsants that I take).

I do not drink rice milk because it's loaded with sugar and I have a problem/issue with that. Inulin in anything causes attacks. Yes, I love phenols. And yes, I've been having cappucinos and lattes, so indeed triggers abound. Furthermore, I have issues with complex carbohydrates and beyond a little bit of token vegetables avoid them like the plague. I think I'll just do the Immodium thing, though. I feel like giving up anything with fiber FOR LIFE!

I hope I don't poop for a week, lol!

You are probably weary of advice but I'll share this just in case new
      #247829 - 02/22/06 10:26 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

You sound like a great candidate for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It is tough to stay on, I won't lie to you, it REALLY IS but my son was better in the first WEEK the d was gone and he said to me, "The tummy is better Mommy". The good news is he was on it for 2 years, got his gut all healed up, and now he doesn't have to be on it anymore!!! Other diets are maintenance, meaning if you go off them the symptoms come back. This diet allows the gut to heal itself (for those with that specific problem, which he obviously did have) and the POINT is that you don't have to stay on it forever. He eats everything now, just no whole grains and also no chemicals, I think he will be chemically sensitive forever.

HUGS - I just hate that you are sufferring so, I remember when he had explosive diarrhea all day and curled up in ball with his tummy hurting, it broke my heart! It was 2 years well worth it. He's got a gut of steel now practically!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Oh Wind!! HUGS! new
      #247832 - 02/22/06 10:40 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

A very wise woman turned me onto Vasaline for sore bums too. It's working absolute wonders for me...

--------------------
- Jennifer

aww i feel for you!! new
      #247871 - 02/22/06 12:05 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

immodium is a Ibs-d'rs best friend! if i'm out..i have to always make sure i have some on hand, and the advanced is cool becuase it has a mint taste to it too...(the little things in life)

i hate nights like that...especially being around mike, because it's embarassing...i know that they love us with our with out our butt problems, but it still makes you feel sorta unsexy!! though mike farts ALLLL the time...it's not as feminine for me to do! i always drink ginger tea when it's that bad, mixed with fennel, seems to help me...

i use to take like 3 immodiums a day, but now i've gotten to the point where i only take them when i feel i need them, or really do need them. i don't eat many veggies either, for that very reason!!

Re: You are probably weary of advice but I'll share this just in case new
      #247875 - 02/22/06 12:22 PM
Wind

That's really interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'm more or less fine as long as I don't eat complex carbs & sugar. Give me a bowl of Rice Krispies and I'm curled up in a ball, in pain. Put a potato on my plate and it feels like someone chucked a baseball at me. I can't even swallow a slice of any kind of bread. Soy anything comes back to haunt me. I'm completely disfunctional. So...I haven't eaten those foods in awhile. Actually, I do much better without complex carbs and follow a more or less lower carb diet. I don't require as high a dose of anti-convulsant drugs when I eat lower carb. Also (and this is weird), my hair grows back. When I tried eating Heather's kind of diet, my hair fell out in chunks, but I now have visible regrowth. My neurologist had to up my anti-convulsant drugs, recently (my blood levels were too low) and I'm adapting to that. I'm spaced out when I eat complex carbs & moody in a bad way. I literally cannot read a book.

However...I can sit there and eat a plate of eggs or meat without a hassle--as long as there is no ketchup or certain seasonings/preservatives. I can handle a small quantity of green vegetables (I'm not good with orange ones!). I'm functional again very quickly & generally require less medication.

I'm just not good at digesting complicated nutritional information. The most sugar I can tolerate is from organic dairy products, i.e. yogurt.

I'm glad that the scd diet has been so effective for your son. I think I'm definitely going to be more diet savvy.

Kate.

Vaseline! new
      #247877 - 02/22/06 12:23 PM
Wind

Petroleum jelly is wonderful for all kinds of things. I prefer it to chapstick, too.

Kate.

Re: aww i feel for you!! new
      #247879 - 02/22/06 12:27 PM
Wind

I agree. D is most unsexy. And, I think I might give up vegetables forever, except as a sort of condiment--maybe.

Yes, I might turn into one of those cavewomen, afterall!

Peppermint kills the spasms for me, best of all! Double bagged!

I cannot believe how much toilet duck I go through!

Thanks, Lyndsey.

Kate.

Just buttin in here...... new
      #247902 - 02/22/06 02:31 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Sorry you are feeling yucky! Get better soon!

Just wanted to let you know that most of the sugar free gums & candies all have one of these in them:sorbitol/mannitol/xilitol/malitol. They give me "D" big time.

Tucks help me a lot when I have a sore bottom. It kinda burns at first but then it soothes.

Barbie

--------------------

Goofy, definitely, Nelly! new
      #247903 - 02/22/06 02:34 PM
Wind

Goofy! Yes, that would be appropriate for me, too. Actually, I think I'd go for Bart Simpson.

I agree with you about BBQ sauce--very dangerous stuff. Okay, now I hope I'm not being too creepy and personal, but, do you consume any veggies/fruits? I'm considering barely eating any ever again. They always, inevitably, get me in trouble!

I want to be so C beyond belief. Although, and this sounds weird, even when/if I don't eat hardly anything that was a vegetable/fruit...things move...just less violently.

Weird. Anyways, I'm back in fighting form, finally, at five in the afternoon. I just know, though, that more than 3 tbsp. of vegetables would send me running. I also know that I must be ultra cautious with herbs. Seriously...more than 1 tsp. is potential for danger!

Goofy, though...that's good.

Kate.

I pass on the vegs! No thanks!! new
      #247914 - 02/22/06 03:13 PM
Nelly

Bart Simpson!! Great idea.

Ve-gies...? I think I saw one once, very long ago. They're green, right? Kinda taste like dirt? I steer clear of fruits and veggies. I indulge in a little cran-grape juice every now and again, but that's about it. Potatoes, anything colored red or yellow, or anything I have to peel I run in the other direction of. (I don't know what apples taste like anymore, although I like the way they smell!)

All that vegetal matter gives me killer gas that jumpstarts my D like you wouldn't believe (well i guess *you* would)! The gas is unrelenting and uncontrollable, and my molars are shot to hell from grinding down on all those simethicone tablets. I get ripping pain in my gut from my intestines and stomach expanding... it feels like the star of Aliens 2 is clawing and ripping its way through me. It's the most accurate description of my pain!!

~nelly~ Veggie free since '93eeeeee

By the way new
      #247920 - 02/22/06 03:32 PM
Nelly

I'm very C at the moment! Blissfully pain-free C. It's been about 3 days with no D whatsoever, and the only hiccup was that BBQ incident yday. I owe it all to my pain meds which are keeping the pain and D away for now.

It's like a D vacation for me right now. Nice.

~nelly~

Aliens! An apt description. new
      #247963 - 02/22/06 06:32 PM
Wind

I agree. It's the GAS/potential gas that begins the chain of events. You described the situation perfectly with your Alien 2 analogy--especially the ripping and crawling part. That is exactly what it feels like.

Why play with explosives? Why light matches with those asparagus spears? I can handle about 3 bites. NOW, I must program myself not to feel guilty...you know how they try to feed us this garbage about vegetables and anti-oxidants and fiber...blah, blah, blah. It's a conspiracy! Ever since childhood...they feed us all this garbage/program us! I haven't had a formed stool in goodness knows how long.

Okay, now...I must do some re-programming/self-hypnosis. I must re-write the lines that we are constantly fed about eating "your fruits and vegetables."

Okay, from now on, I'm on the most constipating diet ever imagined. You've convinced me, Nelly. I'm converted. Why punish myself?

I'm 31. I can exempt myself from eating veggies.

Kate.

Re: By the way new
      #247966 - 02/22/06 06:39 PM
Wind

A D vacation! Yes, C is a vacation from D. A blissful hiatus. As soon as those hiccups start...I'm doomed too. Have you ever "yeeped?" This is why I can't drink alcohol--I get the hiccups.

Are your pain pills effective? How's the fibro treatment going?

My head is finally not messed up and I think my electrolytes are balanced.

Kate.

LOL! Getting me started!! new
      #247972 - 02/22/06 07:27 PM
Nelly

Yeah! We're adults! They should all keep my plate out of their business! 5 servings of TNT is great for healthy people. If I'm going to feel healthy I can't buy into the psychological romance of having a colorful plate. Come on! We eat to survive. Aliens in my bathroom is not my idea of survival, and praying for them to just get it over and finish me off is not my idea of quality of life!

Hey, if these FDA guys knew there were aliens lurking in their precious brussel sprouts, believe me, they'd be off this planet in a flash!! Let them have their tree droppings. I want to sleep through the night and not launch myself into orbit with my gas.

~nelly~

#247974 - 02/22/06 07:31 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

C is a vacation for me too! It's so exotic.

Kate and Nelly - you gals are too funny! I'm so glad you're on the board to help lighten up IBS realities.

#247976 - 02/22/06 07:36 PM
Nelly

Yea for a balanced head! I hate pushing the fluids after an attack. It's a real high wire act.

The pain pills I'm on are to try to keep the fibro/IBS pain at bay. It's the lowest dose of vicodin you can get and I'm only alloted 2 a day. But with the regular imodium (perhaps a little less), I've been out of pain and out of the bathroom for a little while.

Thanks for asking about the fibro treatment! I'm going back to PA on Monday to get the results of all my blood tests, and get new prescriptions plus an IV fibro treatment (that part usually takes 1.5-2 hours). The last treatment I got was great for the stiffness in my shoulders. I actually was very relaxed afterwards. I'm supposed to get one every week, but I'm going back every 2 weeks after this one because it's so far away.

I'm looking forward to seeing #1 if I have Lyme disease (BF and dog have it), and #2 how my thyroid function is. And of course #3 seeing Melissa! She's great to talk to because she and I understand the science behind T3 receptors and other nerd-friendly information (I am a queen nerd, so true)!!

~nelly~

#247977 - 02/22/06 07:40 PM
Nelly

LOL, thanks. Sometimes it's so sad you have to laugh. I've had a bunch of moments where I thought it was just so rediculous that I must be being filmed! Like seriously, where's the camera!! Are you getting my best side? I can squeeze out a tear if I can get an Oscar nod from it!

You're pretty funny yourself too, M!M! Exotic C, LOL!! I totally concur.

~nelly~

Nerd Queens rule. new
      #247986 - 02/22/06 08:25 PM
Wind

Lyme disease--holy sh!t. I hope you don't have it.

I'm glad the treatments are helping. I get B12 shots and they seriously make a major difference.

You crack me up, seriously. I agree re: the fountain of D. A very bad thing. I'm tired of scouring the toilet everyday.

What kind of alien wouldn't eat veggies/fruit? Maybe I'll eat like a Borg? A Klingon? Hmmm...this is a tough one.
After this last attack...what's the point, I figure!

Kate.

Re: aww i feel for you!! new
      #248115 - 02/23/06 11:19 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

haha...i eat only lettuce and tomatoes in a sandwhich, i can have canned green beans and corn...thats about it...the rest i stay away from, i can DRINK carrot juice, but my body has a problem with whole veggies...steamed or not...silly bodies!!

Good alien question! new
      #248145 - 02/23/06 12:49 PM
Nelly

What do Vulcans eat?? They seem pretty smart. I picture it as a paste-type substance like the advocates in "Defending Your Life." I have definetly eaten like a Klingon in the past (insert loud slurping noises here)! That killer D can sure make a body ravenous.

Are you a trekkie?? What does the Borg represent, in your opinion? Is it death? The inability to survive outside collective autonomy? Religion?? I'd love to figure out what other people think. Also, what's in the suitcase in Pulp Fiction? The crown jewles? The holy grail?

OK, getting amped up and off track here. LOL!

~nelly~ I found a link for the Star Trek Cookbook

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4640

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review