All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Happy Valentine's Day!
      #246114 - 02/14/06 06:02 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

What's everyone doing? My vday is already off to a great start -- I got the cuuuuutest vday e-card from my spiciest friend Ashley! I have to go to school today and run a million errands, but I do have a date late tonight with a guy I met a couple weeks ago. So far we are just friends and I think he's afraid of me or thinks I'm some kind of religious fanatic, can't tell if he's actually into me, but we'll see. He's picking me up at 9 tonight and I'm wearing a super cute dress. I'll let you know how it goes!

What are everyone's plans?

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Happy Valentine's Day! new
      #246118 - 02/14/06 06:25 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

My husband and I went out for lunch yesterday and just enjoyed each other. As corny as this sounds every day is Valentines Day for us...our marriage was twice headed for divorce yet God saw fit to heal our marriage and is now using us to minister to others.

Soo...we are grateful for every day that we wake up next to each other hence the corny thoughts!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: Happy Valentine's Day! new
      #246127 - 02/14/06 07:12 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I'm working today.

We'll exchange goofy gifts tonight. My husband HATES washing silverware, so I got him a box of 300 plastic pieces -100 forks, 100 spoons, 100 knives.

My mom cracks me up. She sent us each a cheque to buy our own candy. Just a card would have been more than enough.

#246141 - 02/14/06 07:36 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

oooh glad you liked the card!!

My valentines day will be filled with..
A program meeting from 12-1
A seminar pracitcum meeting from 1:30-3:30
A methods of research class rom 6-9

I swear my profs must be anti v-day or in bad relationships.. cause they never want to go home today

I did make funfetti cupcakes with pink frosting to bring to my night class for V-day and my friend Erin's birthday tomorrow.

--------------------

#246143 - 02/14/06 07:39 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I'm working until about at 4:30 today. Then I will head home and make a nice dinner for me and my sweetie. We can't do much else because American Idol is on tonight - isn't that pathetic????? Ha! He is supposed to stop by the video store on the way home to pick out a movie for us to watch after Idol.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#246172 - 02/14/06 08:14 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Awesome, good luck with your date! I'm sure your dress will knock him dead!

Tommy and I are going to our favorite local Thai restaurant for dinner and then exchanging gifts!

#246174 - 02/14/06 08:17 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i'm working

but mike and i are going out on thursday to sushi. he told me he hadn't gotten me anything last night, that he'd get me something for thurs, but didn't know what...etc...then i woke up this morning, and there were 2 cards and 2 balloons and a vase of flowers. one balloon and card from him and the other card and balloon from my daughter. it was really sweet

for him i made him some boxers, well painted them. one it says "YES" all over, then it glows in the dark to say "Hell YES" lol, then another set of boxers that i decorated for love stuff...and made him a picture frame i have to finish today. i did the boxers, because i found some boxers his ex had gotten him from old navy..said ''happy v-day" and i was like WTF why do you have that still? he said he hadn't thought about it...so i made him throw it away, then gave him crap about it...so i had to 1 up that and make them personalized and better!! lol...i'll show pics of them later!
lol

i'm also taking my daughter on a date after school, i'm getting her a carnation and a ballloon. she's all excited for our date...lol

Rehaha! on the check for candy...because... new
      #246188 - 02/14/06 08:46 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i always thought it would be funny as h^ll to get someone like a $3.75 gift card from hallmark so someone could buy their own card...only thats really mean, so i've never gone through with it!! haha!!!!

Re: Hubby made breakfast! new
      #246197 - 02/14/06 09:06 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Will made me cinnamon swirl french toast this morning, YUMMMYYYY!!!!!! He even did the dishes afterwards! I got Will a mushy card and I'm hoping for some snuggle time tonight . I asked for a new pair of earrings, just some nice silver hoops, I'll let you know if I get them or not! We won't be going out or anything as I'm usually way too tired when I get home from work but thats ok, we don't need to go out to enjoy each other!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#246209 - 02/14/06 09:55 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

My morning started out with Noah calling Mama? Then he came into the bathroom and said "Happy Valentine's Day!" He gave me a big smooch and hug. Then I got the same from hubby. Those two things made my day! I did give hubby a pretty nice bracelet on Saturday night when we went out to eat. It was a Valentine's and congratulations bracelet on doing so well with his business. So we'll see if I get anything tonight. BUt to me honest I really don't care. Just having Noah and hubby in my life is enough. Now I get to deal with 31 crazy hormonal charged 5th graders for the next 1/1/2 for their Valentine party!!

#246249 - 02/14/06 12:12 PM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

I'm going to my honey's tonight for dinner & a movie. I Think he might have something up his sleeve, like jewelery too!! We'll see!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Spending V-Day watching House! (alone)!-nt new
      #246253 - 02/14/06 12:23 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Any thoughts on how we can celebrate? Or should we just forget it's Valentine's Day and pig out on IBS foods!

Whomevever invented this holiday sure wasn't a single person!

I hope all you attatched people enjoy your day with the one you love! I got a card from my mom!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#246254 - 02/14/06 12:27 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

So Will and I waited till the last minute possible to plan anything this year, but I still found a place this morning that I could make a dinner reservation for tonight - yummy seafood place that always does exactly what you ask them to with your fish - good stuff! I think dinner will be it since I found out last week I will probably have to get a root canal next month!!! EEEEEEK! Dental insurance not nearly as good as the medical and I know it will be expensive! Try not to think about that one too much on Valentines day!

Have a wonderful day to all!

Nothing really today.... new
      #246259 - 02/14/06 12:35 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Especially considering Mac had to take me to the fibro doc today, and he has class tonight. I got him a cute little book and a monkey bookmark, and plan on making him a cute card to give him all tonight. He was really cranky earlier when he took me to the doctor, so I don't know what's up. We have reservations at our favorite nice Italian place tomorrow night, since we didn't do anything for my birthday last week either.

My best friend bought me this shirt for my birthday that has a big pink heart that says FRAGILE on it and "Handle with Care" below the heart....since my fibro's been so bad lately. I'm wearing it today to cheer me up, and all the girls at the fibro doc's office loved it too

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Update -- long (like lunchbreak long) new
      #246659 - 02/16/06 06:14 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

*Swoon*
My date was wonderful. He picked me up in a cab (I feel like the last 3089240298 dates I've been on I've had to meet the guy at the place, so it was really nice to be picked up). He was wearing a suit and looked amazing. I wore a dress that I feel fabulous in, so it was all good. We went to a really nice restaurant across town. He checked our coats (took mine off for me), and pulled out my chair at the table. I was a little unsure of how things would go since we were supposed to be trying to get to know each other as friends first and then seeing where things went. The menu was great (I had a shrimp and crab appetizer, red snapper entree, and a naughty chocolate hazlenut confection for dessert; he had the same app, steak entree -- I had a bite and it was perfect -- and some vanilla raspberry thing). He ordered champagne, and it was delightful. I got him a little gift (scrabble cufflinks, a refernce to a running trash-talk we have about which one of us would win a game since we're both super nerds -- he's only 29 and OWNS a software company that he started 6 years ago), and he LOVED it.

By dessert he was holding my hand constantly, and I was totally suckered in by those ridiculous blue eyes. You blue-eyed people really need to be careful how you use them. They're dangerous. He's so hot, did I mention that? As we were finishing up we decided to call a couple that we are both friends with, since they lived a block away and we knew they weren't doing vday until next week because they were both swamped with work. They came and had a drink with us over at the bar in that restaurant. It was a lot of fun. He kept holding my hand in front of his friends.

When it was time to go, he got my coat from the coat check, put it on me, and lifted my hair out from inside my collar and laid it on my back. I literally almost fell down. We took a cab back to my place, and I told him that it was totally messy (as usual) since I wasn't anticipating company, but that he was welcome to come up if he'd like. So, he came in.

Within about 5 minutes we were smooching on my couch and it was SO NICE, like movie kisses with his hands on my face and everything.

Then, he kind of freaked out, said he should go, and started putting his coat on. I walked him downstairs and he just brought up the whole thing again about how much he likes me and is attracted to me but worries about the fact that I'm religious and he's not, and that he thinks that's going to be a real problem for me. We've already had this conversation ad nauseum so I don't know why he keeps bringing it up. Plus, he gets all clammy and inarticulate when he's nervous, so I have to kind of guess at what he's thinking and he says yes or no. It's rough. So basically I said listen, my bottom line, my dealbreakers, are that I get married in my church and raise my children in my church. Other than that, my faith is my own thing, I don't need a buddy system, I don't need someone who believes the same as me. He's not anti-religion or anything, just a very scientific guy and can't really believe in anything he doesn't see, and I get that because my dad is exactly the same way (and my parents have a great marriage and all the kids turned out fine, so it doesn't worry me). So basically I told him to stop worry about my having a problem, because I don't have one. I said if you have a problem with it, then that's a whole other thing, and he should own it. And he said you're right, I guess I do have a problem, I should own up to it. So I said, you think this is going to be a roadblock for you. And he said yes. And I said okay, I get that. And I said why did you just make out with me? And he said something like I guess I wanted to. So I said fair enough.

Then I stood up and said okay, good talk (kind of abruptly) and he was I think a little startled by it. I opened the door, said thank you very much for dinner, and said goodnight, let him out. By the time I got back up to my apartment my phone was ringing; it was him. "I don't know why I have to cause drama, who even talks about this stuff on basically the first date, why do I have to create problems, can we just forget that whole conversation? I'm so sorry!" So I said apology accepted, obviously, but what is it you want? I said I don't think it's unreasonable to think about these things, and if it's not going to work out I prefer to determine that now, rather than get involved and break up later, and hear myself saying for the millionth time in a breakup "If you knew this was going to be a problem all along why didn't you say so X years ago?" So I don't think he's totally nuts. And I said if you look down the road and see a roadblock, then it makes sense to do what you're doing. And he goes "I don't know what I see! Who am I to try to see into the future? I don't know what I'm going to feel!" (A total turnaround from before). So I said fine, how do you want to leave things? And he said let's just pretend that after our great dinner we made out at your place and then said goodnight, and leave it open as to whether we go out again. And I said fine, and that I had to go to bed now, and we got off the phone.

Yesterday he IMed me a million times and we chatted about random stuff, he thanked me again for the gift, etc. I don't really know how to proceed from here. Our mutual friends -- mostly his college buddies who I have met in law school, and who are protective of me but have known him 10x longer -- are all telling me to do different things. One says I should "take the bull by the horns" and give him some sort of ultimatum, which is SO not my style. Another one says that I'm a rockstar and that if he doesn't recognize that I should forget it. Then they both say that he's such a great guy and that he's not being crazy on purpose.

So, I don't really know what to do. I think I'll probably just take a back seat to the whole thing and see where he takes it (typically passive amanda). I'll probably end up seeing him this weekend because we have friends in common, but maybe not. I'm sure he'll IM or text me today or tomorrow since he seems to do that a lot. I'm going to karaoke tonight and this other boy that I've been crushing on for a while (and who kissed me last weekend -- that's a whole other story) is planning on coming, so I think I'm just going to focus on that.

Thoughts??????????????????

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Update -- long (like lunchbreak long) new
      #246662 - 02/16/06 06:37 AM

Unregistered

Well you are in quite a pickle. First though I have to say that you are a great storyteller That was perfect.

So onto my thoughts...I think you handled it just perfectly from your end. Since it clearly seems that the problem is his, that he needs to figure it out. I wouldn't say don't see him again, but I wouldn't start making it easy for him to just forget this is an issue until a later time- I definitely agree that if you see this as being a reason for this not to be able to develop into something more in the future, then why cause yourself all that emotional distress by putting yourself in a situation that is just inevitably going to end - and not that y'all can't stay friends since it seems there are a lot of mutual friends in between you both. He seems to really like you and it sounds like he's pretty awesome and definitely would be a good catch.

So I say just play it nice (I'm typically passive too so keep in mind where my opinions come from) but don't start inviting him up to you apartment just because he wants to make out with you and forget that he has some other issues to figure out first (and fast ). And even better that you'll probably see him soon so that you can just look fantastic and he'll realize that he better get on the stick with this before he loses you.

Haha I hope that made sense - I'm at work and so tired!

Well best of luck and definitely keep us posted on this guy.

WOW! new
      #246683 - 02/16/06 07:35 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

If you're really into him, don't let him get so caught up in the religion thing. I think that your proposition of raising the kids your way and his not having to be religious is a perfect compromise.

I think he'll come to his senses as it seems like he's crazy about you too. Just give him time.

No, don't give him an ultamatum. NOOOOO!!!

I agree with Brittany's advice!-nt new
      #246697 - 02/16/06 08:23 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#246720 - 02/16/06 09:40 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Great writing, I felt like I was reading a romance novel for a while! Not sure if I'm the best person to give dating advice as I never seemed to have much luck at it! I got involved in some scary relationships and had a thing for the "bad" boys if you know what I mean!

Now that I'm settled down though, I can look back and see how I would have done things differently. I agree with Brittany, go out with him again if he asks and have a good time however don't let it go farther than you want it to without having the religion talk again. Its HIS problem and not yours and you are being more than cool about it. If he is willing to say he will have an open mind and not be bothered by your religion than pursue it as far as you want but I'd keep the reins in a little until he makes up his mind. Until then, I'd say go out and have fun with however else you want to!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#246818 - 02/16/06 02:14 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I already told you some advice as well.. but I have to say I also agree with Brittany!

I think its still cool to date him.. however, I wouldn't go around making out, and giving in too much until he does make a decision, and can gauruntee that he won't be so hot and cold anymore.

As I said.. although you shouldn't make a huge deal about religion and roadblocks, you should consider them somewhat. because, wasting x amount of years with someone that later cannot handle your differences (that you had when you first started dating)is just that- x amount of years wasted.. and we're not getting any younger.

--------------------

Total SWOON! new
      #246857 - 02/16/06 05:02 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Quote:

...put it on me, and lifted my hair out from inside my collar and laid it on my back. I literally almost fell down.

AWESOME. I literally read excerpts of this whole post to my BF!!!! (Especially the face kissing with hands, LOVE THAT! )

You know, I've dated guys like this too, who all at once are super into me, then balk about religion. It's total cop out cos they know exactly what their beef is at the beginning! I've had a lot of abrupt make-out stops like the one you described too! Men. *rolling eyes* I was afraid you were going to say he was gay! Too few good ones out there!

~nelly~

#246875 - 02/16/06 06:53 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

You're doing the right thing by seeing that other dude while you are seeing this guy. After being in such a LT relationship as you were in, you don't want to get sucked into something quickly. Based on what you've stated, I am not sure if it is religion that is such a huge problem for this guy. I think he may be using that as an excuse for something. For what? I can speculate but what good would that do? Just be wary is all I am saying and keep your eyes and ears open. And remember to follow your instincts. Good luck!

--------------------

Stories like this.... new
      #246877 - 02/16/06 07:15 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

make me glad that I have been married 8 million years!

It sounds like a wonderful date and I am so thankful you had fun! Men I was never able to figure out when I was in my twenties and sometimes (at 42 years of age) still think I have much to learn!

I would take things one day at a time...and see where the journey leads. Being a woman of faith, a couple of conversations with God asking His advice wouldn't be a bad idea!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2794

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review