All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Driving up to the Eastern Shore
      #245921 - 02/13/06 10:44 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

This morning I got a call from my friend Andy, whom I've mentioned a couple times bafore here. His mother is going in for triple bypass surgery tomorrow. Yeah, valentine's day, I know.

I'm going to drive to the Eastern Shore tonight for a couple of days to help him out while she's in the hospital. As I've mentioned, he's in a wheelchair and has always been a support to me. He's one of the few people outside these boards who understands daily pain and has always been a comfort to me.

It drives me nuts that his able-bodied brother is not flying in for the surgery. That's his only family. At least I can help do laundry and other easy stuff for me, hard stuff for him.

His mother has always been there for me. She had severe IBS in the '50's and unscrupulous doctors removed part of her stomach in an effort to help. We always joke about docs telling us to remove stress from our lives. ("Wow. I'm cured! Thanks for the advice." ) She's been dealing with IBS and fibromyalgia since before I was born, and I've learned a lot about patience and humor from both of them.

She's been in the hospital for the last 6 days, but this morning was the first time he'd been able to give me a call. I wish he'd let me know before, but I'm glad I can help my friend now at least.

Have a great v-day everybody, and I'll try to check back when I can! I'll be back Thursday at the latest. BF's been understanding because he realizes how important friends are to me. He hadn't planned anything for VD aither, so the heat's off him this week!!!

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Driving up to the Eastern Shore new
      #245930 - 02/13/06 11:16 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm sorry to hear about Andy's mom. I know you guys have been close and its great that you can go and help out! I hope your tummy behaves and you have a good trip. I'll keep his mom in my thoughts and hope she has a speedy recovery!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

*HUGS* new
      #245938 - 02/13/06 11:44 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

You, Andy, and his mom will all be in my thoughts. Let us know how it goes, and shoot me an email when you get back.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#245969 - 02/13/06 12:59 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

You're a GREAT friend to him Nelly. Hugs!

Hugs Nelly new
      #245972 - 02/13/06 01:06 PM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I hope you have as good a trip as possible and that your fibro and IBS behave. I am sending you nd your friend good thoughts.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#245992 - 02/13/06 01:33 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Nely- my uncle had a triple bypass five (I think) years ago on Valentine's Day- we always remember him saying "Today lots of people are getting their heart broke but I'm getting mine fixed!" He is great now, no problems since with it, even though he has been very bold.

You are a great friend to Andy too. The recovery from the bypass is tough, I remember visiting my uncle two days after he had his op and he looked like a truck had run over him, but like I said he is great now.

--------------------
S.

Nelly, where at on the Eastern Shore? new
      #246028 - 02/13/06 03:22 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

I grew up on Kent Island. Have a safe trip in all this snow and ice. My prayers are with you and your friends family.

Happy Valentine's Day: UPDATE new
      #246243 - 02/14/06 11:54 AM
Nelly

Hey everyone, Thanks for the great replies. I was off the boards not even a day and I missed my friends! Greetings from the eastern shore-- not much snow here and the drive up was quick this time.

Andy sez hi. We visited his mom last night and this morning, and she's goofy off her meds, but in good spirits. She's in surgery this minute, so we're relaxing at his place and scrounging for something to eat. Slim pickins here at the mo. Between he and his mom, they don't get a chance to do much food shopping.

Just wanted to check in! Sorry I haven't had a chance to weigh in on the other topics in the living room. I'll do some catching up soon. Best to everyone,

~nelly~

Re: Happy Valentine's Day: UPDATE new
      #246256 - 02/14/06 12:31 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Nel!
I've been off the boards more than on recently since I've been busy at work, but I need to email you about catching up this weekend - can you still get email at your friend's place?

It was great of you to make the trip for him and be such a supportive friend! I'm glad the drive went smoothly and I hope it didn't make you too achy or anything.

Prayers for your freind's mom with her surgery!

Min

Cheeseburger ICU new
      #246516 - 02/15/06 10:20 AM
Nelly

Hey Min! No email here, but I'll be home tonight and will be able to catch up then. The surgery went well. They took out her breathing tube this morning, and she was back to her old self. She's tripping hard off of the morphine-oxycodone-darvon cocktail they've got her on, and we got a call at 1am from her night nurse who had been convinced that Andy and I had been in a car accident. Andy's mom doesn't remember the whole situation today, but we got an earfull from the nurse.

Visiting hours in the ICU are weird, so we have 1/2 an hour to visit her between 2 and 2:30. So we're picking her up a cheeseburger from McDonalds. Can't wait to march back into the ICU with a McDonald's bag, with all of those heart attack patients looking on, sniffing the air. She's not eating so they have her on a completely unrestricted diet to try and get her appetite back. We'll make them rethink that.

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 781 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 943

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review