All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Tattoo time?
      #245826 - 02/12/06 04:59 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

My favorite show lately is Miami Ink. I've always loved tattoos but have seen so many people regret the ones that they've gotten so I've held off.

But now I *think* I want one. I was thinking of something similar to this. I would likely get it on the outside of my torso.

http://i1.tinypic.com/noehpf.jpg

I love the free hair, I like her expression and the sexiness of this tat as well. It would have to be pretty big though.

Anyone want to share their tattoos with with and tell me just how bd they hurt!

p.s. Does anyone have a good web site they know of with some inspiration artwork?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

For what it's worth new
      #245827 - 02/12/06 05:20 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've gotten 10 tattoos in the past 7 years, and although I've been less than pleased about how a couple came out, I don't regret a SINGLE bit of any one of them. I love the experience of getting a tattoo almost as much as the finished product, and they really do become a part of who you are.

You've seen my ink before, so I won't bore you with that. LOL! I have tattoos on my chest, bicep, calf, ankle, the back of my neck, and wrists. The least painful so far have been the bicep and calf - meaty areas typically hurt less. The most painful was the ankle - bony areas typically hurt more. I don't have any on my torso (and probably never will), so I can't vouch for how that'll feel. But the pain is temporary... I tend to think it's nothing you can't get through if you want it bad enough.

To me, a tattoo feels like being scratched on a sunburn - it's more irritating than painful.

If you have anything else you want to know, just ask! Actually, this is well-timed... I'm getting tattoos #11 and 12 on Tuesday, if all goes well.

My tats... new
      #245828 - 02/12/06 05:22 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

One on each wrist, a total of $120 ish, no pain at all.

In my experience, pain should not be an issue. If you're willing to go through and get something done (piercing, tattoo, dermal implants), then you shouldn't be worrying about how much it hurts.

'Shop' around for a good shop first. I recommend BMEzine for experiences, articles and recommendations for shops in your area.

They ARE addictive, just like piercings. I just had my nipples done last week, and I'm now considering my third tattoo, and I'm only seventeen. Also, a very famous tattooist in coming to Ottawa in May, so I'm considering some transdermal implants. It's insane.

Otherwise, on the day of the tattooing, don't be nervous. Take a bottle of water, some imodium and hubby, of course. The artist should show you the final design, ask for your approval and transfer it into a stencil. My one piece of advice is to speak up. If you don't like something, point it out right away. When they place the stencil on you, make sure you like it. Don't trust the artist to be perfect in his placing, just like a piercer with placing a piercing.

Good luck babe, and happy inking.

Re: My tats... new
      #245830 - 02/12/06 05:34 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Isabel. I can't ebelive you're olnly 17, you just seem older!

Great advice. I would get a pretty good NYC tattoo artist to do it and I would be SUPER sure about the final design. If it's permanent, I would make sure it's perfect.

Who is coming to Ottawa? Just curious as I know some tattoo artists.

Thanks Isa!

Re: For what it's worth new
      #245831 - 02/12/06 05:37 PM
Sara-Sage

I was hoping you'd respond Casey. I've seen a couple of yours but not all of them. I know you have blue birds, a letter as part of a tattoos projet and what else?

What are your new tattoos going to be? I think I asked you that in my last email though so you might not to speak up until they're done.

That's reassuring that you don't regret any of them.

Thanks!

Re: Tattoo time? new
      #245835 - 02/12/06 05:57 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I love Miami Ink. I was actually looking up tatoo places in my area. Good Grief ... I'm 58 years old, but I want one. I figure that I won't have to worry about them sagging when I get old ..... things have already sagged.
I like the mermaid. Go for it.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

That's so cute. new
      #245844 - 02/12/06 07:44 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I don't have any, but have come awfully close. I just got rid of my navel ring last month after 5 years of it. That was the last of my wildness, well, for now anyhow. Dh has a tat on his arm but now says he doesn't like the idea of me getting one. Maybe because at 48, his mom went and got one.LOL. She's so totally cool and hip. Best MIL ever.

Good luck, i do love merms!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

love those, raven...what do you play? And... new
      #245845 - 02/12/06 07:50 PM
_Willow

what sort of transdermals are you considering? I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean, but are you talking about those bumps that look like horns?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Show us Your Ink! new
      #245848 - 02/12/06 07:53 PM
_Willow

that was in the spirit of mardi Gras, LOL!
But really, i ahven't seen them, and am always interedted in seeing what everyone has.

One of my dear friends and bridesmaids got a giant angel(cherub) on her back to wremember her young brother who died. BUT this is HUGE and though pretty, a little bizarre.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#245850 - 02/12/06 08:09 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I have one on my lower back, right side, pretty small. I don't regret it, I often even forget I have it! It did hurt, but not unbearable. Go for it!

--------------------

Re: love those, raven...what do you play? And... new
      #245866 - 02/13/06 01:05 AM
Ravenndark

A transdermal implant is a piece of metal (usually titanium or niobium) that is placed under the skin. Some get horns, but me, I'd get a double line of stars down the back of my neck.

It has a very large chance of rejecting, but again, this is a once in a lifetime experience just because he is so famous and so, so busy.

Oh, and I play alto sax as my main instrument

#245901 - 02/13/06 08:33 AM
Sara-Sage

That's so cool! What would you get a tattoo of??

#245919 - 02/13/06 10:37 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Ooo, get it done by Kat. Her work is so excellent! I'm sure the Miami Ink guys Chris Nunyez and Chris Garver will know how to get in touch with her. I say go for the best!!

~nelly~

My husband looooooves Kat! new
      #245929 - 02/13/06 11:14 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

He doesn't like the show nearly as much now that she's gone!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Me too!! new
      #245941 - 02/13/06 11:50 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Kat's super cool. She's a phenomenal artist as well for so young. She should get her own show, I think. I'd watch!

~nelly~

#245947 - 02/13/06 12:17 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I'm not sure. Either something cutsie like a butterfly or flower or a broken heart with a rose growing from it. I put a red rose in Richie's coffin for him to give to me when we are together again so I can put it between my teeth and we can dance the tango. I'll chicken out and not do it, but who knows ??? Maybe another Miami Ink marathon will get me there.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#245963 - 02/13/06 12:56 PM
Sara-Sage

Yes, I like her the most too! She's a great artist.

Re: My husband looooooves Kat! new
      #245965 - 02/13/06 12:56 PM
Sara-Sage

Same here, she spices up the show! I love her rock n roll look, she's got GUTS!

#245967 - 02/13/06 12:57 PM
Sara-Sage

I might chicken out too!

so funny new
      #245988 - 02/13/06 01:26 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

She definitely spiced things up!

It's so funny, because DH is hardly into rocker chicks. I'm the edgiest girl he ever dated, and that's really not saying all that much. Compared to Kat, I'm like ultra-white rice! Still, he has a special place in his heart for her. LOL

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: Tattoo time? NO!!! new
      #246006 - 02/13/06 01:55 PM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

Sorry to be rude but The lord gave us bodies to cover our insides not to draw on them!!! Why not just get a drawn picture?!?

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

That's your opinion, don't force it on other people. new
      #246009 - 02/13/06 02:03 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

That's incredibly freaking rude. If you're anti-tattoo, there's no need for you to even be in this discussion.

Easy....she's 12...-nt- new
      #246013 - 02/13/06 02:05 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Re: Tattoo time? NO!!! new
      #246019 - 02/13/06 02:40 PM
Sara-Sage

I know that's your opinion and you're only 12 but what may not be right for you, may be ok for others.

Re: Ok, here goes.... new
      #246036 - 02/13/06 04:01 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Please, please, please, I'm not trying to offend anyone and maybe you were only looking for people with tatoos to respond but can I give my opinion without pissing anyone off? I'm not against them at all! In fact you might want to call me a "wanna be" but maybe is chicken for fear of stupid reasons like contracting hepatitis or worse aids..I know, I know the tattoo artists that are experienced and knowledgeable know how to sterilize but my fear stems from issues I have with getting an infection and not being able to take antibiotics(whole other story)Anyway, when I go to the shore every year I come home with some kind of "henna" tattoo somewhere on my body cause I think they are cool but don't want it permanent. I LOVE the ones on the small of the back. They are so sexy. I got one that was kinda scrolly and my husband loved it! Anyway, what I am getting at is, is it just me or does that particular tattoo that you want look like it should be on a guys arm or calf? It looks more suited for Tommy! How bout a fairy or not as quite as sexy mermaid? I don't know. It's just my opinion and I hope I'm not upsetting you Tina or anyone with it. I just think that if you are unsure by the way you say "think" you want a tat that you really think it over cause it is permanent. Ok, I'm done being mother hen now!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Love the alto sax... new
      #246039 - 02/13/06 04:13 PM
_Willow

still a little weirded out by the stars, but it is neat! am I starting to look old now?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Love the alto sax... new
      #246042 - 02/13/06 04:24 PM
Ravenndark

Not at all!

I'm a little hesitant myself, as I'm not sure I'm ready to take such an extreme mod. It takes me a very long time to heal, and normally with problems along the way, so I'm not sure if I'm going to go through with this.

Still working on the third tattoo though!

I love Miami Ink new
      #246045 - 02/13/06 04:49 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I watch it every week! I love seeing what types of tattoos other people get and their stories of why are interesting.

I have a lady bug tattoo on my left ankle. I want to get two more, a R and J intertwined on the inside of my wrist and a sunflower on the top of my foot.

I was very nervous when I got my first tat but it ended up being fine. I remember going to the shop I had to make DH turn the car around so I could go home and hit the bathroom before I went. It really didn't hurt too bad but mine was small. I think it really depends on where you get it too. Some places are much more painful than others.

I think you should find a picture and print it and look at it for a little while to make sure that is what you want. I have had a couple of different ideas for mine and finally have settled for the above.

My son has a tattoo on his arm and carried the picture around in his wallet for two years before he got it done.

Good luck Tina!

--------------------
Janey

#246066 - 02/13/06 07:47 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey Tina!
My friend is really into Miami Ink too. I started to watch it the other day and at first I thought it was really interested but then I got bored really fast. Some people have CRAZY tatoos, though, that look sooo painful - I had to stop watching!

Anyway, I think you should do whatever you feel like you want now AND in 30 years, hee hee.
One of my best friends got a tattoo and she chose the size and everything, and got it done on her lower back. Even though she still likes the design, she really regrets getting it so large.. and it's not even THAT big. So I would definitely keep size in mine, because it does look like with particular tattoo and all the detail it would have to be pretty big, like you said.

That's a pretty daring tattoo as well for your first body art! I am kinda surprised, but if it makes you go 'oooh', then whatever makes you happy!
If you do decide to go for it, be sure to show us the final result!

Good luck!
Cheers,

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#246070 - 02/13/06 08:02 PM
SueZQ

Reged: 01/30/06
Loc: Tennessee

Whoa! NOT ME!!! I was informed that if you EVER have to have an MRI or other type of full body scan done for medical testing that one of the first questions you are asked is if you have any tatoos. Apparently the inks cause EXCRUCIATING pain because of the chemical reaction from the machines. And I know a girl who is saving up to pay the thousands it will cost to have one removed because she now regrets having it done. My husband says they are "permanent reminders" of a big mistake. I can see it now...folks in nursing homes sitting around comparing tatoos - ones that used to be nice and pert...now sadly sagging... very sad!!

#246105 - 02/14/06 04:09 AM
Ravenndark

You know, my belief is that I'll cross that line when it comes to it. We all only live one life, and I don't want to be sitting in a nursing home when all those sagging people are comparing sagging tattoos and wishing I had had mine done.

I plan on living my life to the fullest, without any regrets or "I wish I had"s

Then again, to each her own.

#246117 - 02/14/06 06:13 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I say whatever works for someone. I personally don't want Tina to get one but wouldn't be angry if she did. It is an individual choice. There are much worse things that one can do to one's body.

--------------------

#246150 - 02/14/06 07:49 AM
Sara-Sage

I had an MRI and they didn't ask me if I had one. They did ask me if I was wearing metallic eye shadow. I did so I had to remove it as that would have caused me some discomfort.

Steph new
      #246151 - 02/14/06 07:51 AM
Sara-Sage

I agree on size. I would get it pretty small so I get I'd have to choose another design.

Re: I love Miami Ink new
      #246152 - 02/14/06 07:53 AM
Sara-Sage

Ya, I don't think this mermiad is "the one". I will keep looking.

ha ha Lisa new
      #246155 - 02/14/06 07:56 AM
Sara-Sage

I like that she's so sexy. And yes maybe it's more suitable for a guy but I've seen woman (straight woman) with pin ups! It's kinda a way to express their sexuality maybe.

Anyhow, I'm not going with that tattoo.

You didn't offend me at all! I think friends speak their minds even if it's not what the person wants to hear. I am all for honesty. Tommy told me he hated the tattoo as soon as he saw it. I didn't get mad at all.

MY DECISION... new
      #246157 - 02/14/06 07:57 AM
Sara-Sage

No tattoos for me anytime soon. I'll have to find a design that I love and not just pick something on impulse. Maybe that will mean I'll get one next year or in 10 years. Whatever!

Thanks for your comments/suggestions everyone!

My two cents... new
      #246159 - 02/14/06 07:59 AM
Sara-Sage

I wouldn't get that done Isabel. Just my own opinion.

That's a good decision, Tina! new
      #246160 - 02/14/06 08:01 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I haven't posted anything because I didn't want to get involved. But, I'm glad you decided to think about this a little longer...and really get one that you will be happy with for a long time! With, or without a tatoo, you're beautiful!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

So I would have been safe saying I didn't like it either? new
      #246161 - 02/14/06 08:02 AM
Augie

I just didn't want to make trouble!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: MRI's and tats new
      #246165 - 02/14/06 08:06 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Have you guys ever watched that show MythBusters? Well, they did a segment on this and it was BUSTED! Meaning that you can have an MRI and a tat and its just fine! My hubby is a MythBusters junkie so we watch it all the time and they actually have some cool stuff on there!

Tina, I see that you decided to wait and thats your choice. I say if you want one, get it, just be sure its the design that you want. I don't regret having a tat, I just wish I had thought out the design a little better first!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: That's a good decision, Tina! new
      #246169 - 02/14/06 08:10 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Bethie! I just can't imagine something permanently on my body. I just can't get past that fact. I kinda like having a blank canvas.

Re: So I would have been safe saying I didn't like it either? new
      #246170 - 02/14/06 08:11 AM
Sara-Sage

Oh yes. I am always open to people being honest.

Re: MRI's and tats new
      #246171 - 02/14/06 08:12 AM
Sara-Sage

Not surprised as I had an MRI and they never asked me if I had one.

Yes, it's a permanent thing so I need to be 100% sure. There's no rush.

i've got tattoos...i love them.. new
      #246191 - 02/14/06 08:56 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i have 7 tattoos...lol..i loveeee tattoos...when i'm board i'll post what i've got...but i think if you want it, and you think about it enough...get one!

my first one i got when i was 18, it was about 2 weeks after my grandfather died..it's a hibiscus and the words "until we meet again". i was there when my grandfather died. he said before he died..before he was incoharent "lyndsey, it's not goodbye, it's aloha, until we meet again" then we sang that song at his funeral..."aloha-oiee" song (don't know how to spell that...) so i got that for him.
my second one i got is an anklet with hibiscus' and my daughter's name is the vine...
3rd is a butterfly on my back after i lost being able to move from california to colorado, the family court would't grant me that...
4th and 5th are me and my daughter's zodiac signs
6th is a hibiscus on my lower back (it's a cover up becuase i had a birth mark i didn't like
7th is one on my wrist sun-moon-star mike and i have the same one.

after i take a shower i'll share them...lol

MRI (havne't you seen myth busters??!?!?!?) new
      #246193 - 02/14/06 08:58 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

it's actually not true, there isn't enough lead in the tattoos...and they were talking about old school tattoos..which still didn't have enough lead...

or alot of us would blow up!! lol i would!

Re: i've got tattoos...i love them.. new
      #246194 - 02/14/06 08:59 AM
Sara-Sage

Yes, please do share them! Thanks.

Ha Ha! new
      #246196 - 02/14/06 09:02 AM
Augie

I'm quite found of my blank canvas!

--------------------
~ Beth

#246218 - 02/14/06 10:35 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I knew that if I spoke my opinion to Tina she'd be cool with it. She's that type of person! I normally keep my mouth shut on other issues with other people too but Tina is a great person and I knew she'd be fine with it!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#246224 - 02/14/06 11:16 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks, no problem. You can always speak your mind with me. I prefer that even if it's ever in the "tough love" category.

#246258 - 02/14/06 12:34 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

I've read that the only time tatoos are dangerous in MRIs is if you get them done in prison or in a third world country. More rudimentary inks that involve lots of metalic materials can be used in those instances, so it becomes a concern. So I think Tina, if she so chooses to get a tatoo, would be safe as long as she keeps herself out of jail! Should we be worried Tina ? ?

I should have realized this! new
      #246263 - 02/14/06 12:39 PM
Augie

I've been honest with Tina before...even if it wasn't what I thought she would want to hear! I just didn't want to possibly jeapordize a special friendship over a tattoo post!

--------------------
~ Beth

Jail? Who me? new
      #246291 - 02/14/06 01:11 PM
Sara-Sage

I don't plan on ever being in jail. Nope!!!

he he

Re: I should have realized this! new
      #246293 - 02/14/06 01:13 PM
Sara-Sage

Oh gosh no! I have always had a friend or two in my life "tell me like it is". People like that are great. One of my friends was pretty instrumental in me breaking up with the ex because she gave me LOTS of "tough love". I'll always appreciate her for doing that.

for the record, i like it! new
      #246391 - 02/14/06 07:26 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I know you decided not to get it, but for the record, I like the mermaid! I think the idea of a "pinup girl" type tat on a woman is really cool and sexy, maybe because it's so unexpected... I dunno. it's like a reappropriation of that image (a really typical "male" image of a woman) in a way I guess...

Re: MY DECISION... new
      #246399 - 02/14/06 08:33 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I love tattoos. I like the entire process. It's more of an experience really. I have a cresent moon with stars on my ankle. And I have a backpiece with a phoenix, lotus, tribal design, and all kinds of other things done in black and greys. It covers my entire back. It's good to wait until you're certain of what you want before you get a tattoo. And shop around. Look at artists portfolios and ask people you see around who did their work if you like it. Make sure that the place you go to meets sterility/safety standards and uses only new needles. Depending on where you get your tattoo at and your pain tolerance, it can feel like anything from a deep massage to someone pulling a knife over your skin. Most places just feel like someone scratching a sunburn. The most painful place I've had tattooed is the base of my back on the spine. The least painful place the top center of my back and the calf above the ankle bone. Any questions-just ask.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: MY DECISION... new
      #246470 - 02/15/06 08:15 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Melissa. Very helpful information.

Re: for the record, i like it! new
      #246472 - 02/15/06 08:26 AM
Sara-Sage

That's exactly it! I guess it's no biggie to me because I've had female friends (gay though) with tattooed ladies on their skin so I'm used to seeing it.

Re: Sorry new
      #246851 - 02/16/06 04:41 PM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

I was just having a bad day you're right its your choice

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20181

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review