All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Who's been on steroids?
      #244943 - 02/08/06 08:12 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, the swelling in my hands and feet is just about unbearable. Typing is very difficult and slow. I can hardly comb my hair or other daily activities. I talked to the rheumy on the phone last night and I'm seeing him tomorrow. He is thinking about starting me on some steroids until the placquenil starts helping. I'm concerned about weight gain and depression as I'm already well over weight from the fertility meds and pregnancy's and well I'm still depressed and don't want it to get worse!! I'm just not sure what other options I have right now. I can't take the nsaid drugs because they tear up my belly and I'm already taking the maximum dose of Tylenol. Any other suggestions or comments?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Who's been on steroids? new
      #244946 - 02/08/06 08:17 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i have not been on them, but i've had clients when i was a personal trainer who had been, either from cancer they had to take it, or other reasons. I remember it was really hard for them, becuase for one, you do gain some weight, and it just makes you not feel completely like yourself. i use to do ease intensity (mainly becuase they were older) stretches with them. for their entire body. low cardio, and low workouts. i know the women i had got extra hot extra fast, and sweated even when it wasn't a hard work out.

i know i cna't provide alot of help, becuase i've not gone through it, but have been close to women who have. as far as pain relief, i don't know. but i hope some info may help you...especially SOME exercise. even low intensity water areobics...i don't know what the doc says abuot it though...so do as doc does for that..but i know the pool can ease some pains too.
\
take care michele

#244955 - 02/08/06 08:41 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Michele,

As one who suffers from swelling in the hands, I feel for you, though mine is not as bad. I do take Aleve and do OK with it (I'm surprised!). Is there any chance that cortisone shots would help instead of taking Prednisone? My rheumatologist mentioned it to me as an option if I want it. As I understand it, the cortisone is a steroid, but should not have all the side effects of the Prednisone like increased appetite and weight gain. I can understand why it is a big decision to go on the steroid. Hope you find some relief soon!

Laura

#244958 - 02/08/06 08:49 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I know someone who I work with taht has taken them for a condition he had. He gained weight and had a much quicker temper ('roid rage). I am not sure if the 'roid rage is a factor when women take steroids though.

--------------------

#244960 - 02/08/06 08:57 AM
michele

Thanks Lyndsey! I wasn't aware of the hot flashes but I'm acquainted with them from the fertility meds I was on! I cancelled my membership at the Y but I've been looking for another pool to go to, I loved the water aerobics class I used to take!

--------------------

#244961 - 02/08/06 08:58 AM
michele

I've had the cortisone shots in my hips 3 or 4 times now and they only help minimally. I guess I wasn't aware that they could use them for the whole hand, I thought the shots were just for a particular joint? I'll be sure to ask the dr tomorrow though!

--------------------

#244964 - 02/08/06 09:01 AM
michele

Hmmm, lovely! I'm very concerned about the weight gain and I'll have to ask if the roid rage is a factor in women, I'm not real sure either! I know my mom has been on them several times and they have just a short 10 day pack that can sometimes break the cycle instead of having to take them long term so hopefully that will be an option for me.

--------------------

#244967 - 02/08/06 09:14 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

I'm constantly on steroids (hydrocortisne) and will be for the rest of my life. However I am on a lowish dose and as it it is replacing what should be there naturally I do not get any side effects.

I was previously on double the dose that I am on now and that made me put on weight, however then I went on Thyroid meds and lost the weight - so it may have been that.

Good luck.

#244968 - 02/08/06 09:20 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Michele,

I don't really know if the shots can be used for the whole hand. I have two particular spots that swell and are painful and red. The rest of my hands are sore, but not swollen so much. Might be woth asking about though.

Laura

#244979 - 02/08/06 09:50 AM
michele

Thanks Cath! I'm hoping it won't take too much to get the swelling down for now. I won't be on them any longer than I have to. I just started placquenil so hopefully that'll kick in soon!

--------------------

#244980 - 02/08/06 09:52 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Michele,
My dad took prednisone for about a year when he was diagnosed with a kidney disease. He did gain a lot of weight, and had mood swings. He also was "puffy" looking. It did really help him though, although it takes a long time to wean yourself off of them, but so far his disease hasn't come back. (he went off them at the end of 2003). I used to have to take it when I was younger and had asthma and again, it really helped, but my mom said I got "puffy" too.
It's definitely a good thing that you're asking questions, and making sure you're informed first.

--------------------

Have you ever heard of perrafin (sp) new
      #244981 - 02/08/06 09:53 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

It's a wax that heats up that you put on your bod for pain. Also try heat therapy. A girl from BYDLS mentioned that she does this. (Have you posted there on this? I highly recommend it!)

And yea, steroids made me gain weight I was taking them for breating so I have no idea wht it does/doesn't do for pain so can't help you there. But I would use it as a last option personally.

I'm SOOOOOOOO sorry you are going through this *hugs* I wish we could all make it go away by loving you as much as we do....let us know how we can support you *huggles*

Love,

Ruchie

P.S. You don't seem like you need help or support....just answers...but I want you to know just in case you need it we're he're (you're SO strong I doubt you will)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#244982 - 02/08/06 09:54 AM
michele

Hmm, puffy and fat or in pain?? Not sure I like either option to be honest but I guess if that is what will help then I'll probably try it. The pain has got to stop, its making my depression worse.

--------------------

True... new
      #244985 - 02/08/06 09:56 AM
epa_ginger

and your body WILL recover afterwards. My dad starting losing the weight pretty quickly when he stopped taking the prednisone, and got all the way back to normal. It did however diminish some of his muscle tone---but he doesn't exercise now. Since you're younger, if you exercise when you can afterwards, you'll probably be just fine.

--------------------

Re: Have you ever heard of perrafin (sp) new
      #244986 - 02/08/06 09:57 AM
michele

Thanks Ruchie! I email with one of Linz's friends form BYDLS and she suggested the wax also! I'm going to check with the nail salon next door to see if they do the wax treatments! I have a heating pad plugged in next to my chair and one next to the bed! I alternate between putting it on my shoulders/neck and on my tummy where I can rest my hands and wrists and it does help to comfort them for the moment.

--------------------

Re: True... new
      #244987 - 02/08/06 09:59 AM
michele

Yeah, I keep saying I'll lose the weight when I feel better, it just seems that I never feel better! I'm about 50 pounds heavier now than I am in my profile picture from the miscarriages and fertility drugs.

How's the baby growing coming along?

--------------------

Parafin Wax... new
      #244990 - 02/08/06 10:05 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

If you don't want to spend money at a salon for the parafin wax treatments - I know they sell at-home kits. I really don't know much about them, how they work, etc...but i just thought I would throw that in here for you!

Example - at CVS.com

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Oh, very cool! new
      #245016 - 02/08/06 11:04 AM
michele

I think I'll be making a trip to the store this weekend! I didn't know they made them for home use like that and they aren't all that expensive either!!! THANKS!!

--------------------

Well, something is growing... new
      #245022 - 02/08/06 11:52 AM
epa_ginger

specifically my gut! There are a few pairs of jeans I won't be wearing again anytime soon, and some shirts as well. I feel just kind of fatter right now, and a little uncomfortable. I'll feel better when we tell everyone (This weekend!!) and I don't have to try and look skinny anymore!

But I feel MUCH better than I had recently, I have more energy and I'm not sick all day!

--------------------

Re: Well, something is growing... new
      #245026 - 02/08/06 11:58 AM
michele

Glad to hear you are feeling better! I was in maternity jeans when I was 7 weeks with the twins!! I found some really cute ones from JC penny catalog and on-line at the gap! It'll be easier when you aren't trying to hide it!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 321 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3141

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review