All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I'm starting to feel like a hypochondriac
      #243847 - 02/03/06 10:49 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I get a Dx and then it seems I have something else to look into.

So now we have the IC and vulvo Dx. Well, I now have cracked (deep cracks!) and under the skin bleeding happening and it reminded me the naturopath who is in Israel mentioned this could be part of something bigger.

And my hands and feet are always cold. (Like right now my bod is nice and warm...my feet have socks on and I'm still cold!! And my hands are freezing!) And my mom has Raynaud's.

Hubby thinks I'm looking for Dxs. He's like "Why not just stop going to doctors if you don't want something else to be wrong".

But I have heard that getting an early Dx can stop some things in their tracks.

Oh and btw, I have an endo appointment in April for my thyroid nodule.

It never ends.

What would you do? Am I a hypochondriac. PLEASE be honest with me!

Thanks for any thoughts on this (HONEST ones!!!)

If it is all in my head I want to know...

Love,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

complementary medicine new
      #243857 - 02/03/06 10:59 AM
Maile

Reged: 01/30/06
Loc: California

This sounds like what my mom went through. For years and years, every cure she got for one thing made her get sick with something else. After a while, doctors (and everyone else, it seems!) started treating her like it was all in her head.

Finally, she went to a naturopath, who took a look at her whole body and mind and not just her symptoms. They helped her change her diet (turns out she's gluten intolerant) and suggested some supplements for a thyroid problem.

She's doing a lot better now.

Anyway, my point is that maybe you should consider going to an accupuncturist, a naturopath or an ayurvedic practitioner and getting their diagnosis. They may be able to spend more time with you and look at the bigger picture.

Not for everyone, but if you're open to it, it may be worth a shot. Some insurance companies will even pay for it (my mom's did, and mine reimburses a portion).

Re: I'm starting to feel like a hypochondriac new
      #243869 - 02/03/06 11:14 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Speaking from my own experience, maybe it has to do with anxiety. Now that you have been positively diagnosed with a variety of disorders, you can't help but wonder, "Well, what else could I have?" So I don't think you ARE a hypochondriac and I don't believe it's all in your head. You have legitimate questions about your health, but you may view some common symptoms (like cold hands and feets) as part of something larger due to past experience and anxiety.

Ruchie, you know your body best and if you feel you still don't have the answers and that your diagnoses are part of something bigger then definitely push your doctors for some answers. You're smart and I trust that you will make the right decision for you. If it were me in your position, I might not go in search of more diagnoses before trying to work on what I'm currently dealing with. Maybe you should just focus on what has been diagnosed, recovering from your surgery, and finding the time to do things you enjoy until your April appointment?

But as I said that's me and maybe I'm not the best person to give advice! I waited almost ten years before finally deciding to talk to my doc about a possible fibro Dx. I probably have the opposite of hypochodria - I can't believe anything's wrong with me even though I feel like crap!

Hugs!

#243873 - 02/03/06 11:18 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hey l'il sis.

I know of a hypochondriac. At my pervious job, this woman's hubbie hit his head and got a concausian (sp?). He was out of work on worker's comp for months on end. He had migraines every single day and was unable to work because of it. So at one point worker's comp made himgo to another city (6 hours away) for a week's worth on head-testing. Some of it was cat scans and other scans to see if there was any serious damage. Guess what? They found NOTHING! Not even a itsy-bitsy little anything. He was ordered back to work and advised to take some Tylenol or something for his headaches.

That is sooo NOT YOU!!! You get tested and they find real proof of some illness.

That said, I can see your hubbie's point. I'm sure if a healthy person went to a doctor, they would find something wrong with them too.

If you think you have something wrong (like endo), there's NOTHING wrong with getting tested for it. A hypo is someone that after being told they don't have it still think that they do and the doctors are wrong.

My ex co-worker's hubby swears that the docor's are crazy and he does have something wrong. They officially gave him a hypochondriac diagnosis. She is please because they lost so much money from him being out of work and she needed him to get back to work!

Re: Wow. I didn't know (m) new
      #243891 - 02/03/06 11:41 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

a person could get a hypochondriac diagnosis. I've just never thought of that. I guess it's just one of those terms that's thrown at anyone who is legitimately concerned about their health and well-being. It's similar to the way people use "anti-social behavior," not realizing it's a serious personality disorder.

Thanks for the example you gave, Tina, and the education!

Edited by Maria!Maria! (02/03/06 11:42 AM)

The picture looks like this: (if you have Raynau'ds PLEASE respond!!) new
      #243900 - 02/03/06 11:51 AM
Snow for Sarala

I have been Dx with IBS, fibro, migraines, allergies, sinusitis and bronchitis (in remission!!!!), hital hernia, IC and vulvo, mild hypoglycemia, and more.

I have a HUGE thyroid nodule. I cannot "make this up" you can see it when I swallow (all docs ask about it and proceed to give me a blood test that comes back neg. for thyroid disease). I have to get it cheked yearly.

I have some symptoms that are "strange". Cold hands and feet, deep cracks in my hands, aches and such that happen to both hands at the same time. (Like both wrists will hurt simulteanously not just one.)

I'm wondering if this sounds like Raynaud's (my mom has it but her hands turn blue and mine don't), and I should be tested or it's just nothing and I should get on my with my life. If it IS something I want to know because supposedly they have meds to keep it from getting worse...but I feel like a loser to keep going to doctros...and I'm beginnig to thin it's all in my head....and that if I stop going to doctors I'll be fine?

Am I just crazy?

Honestly...I don't want to go to the doc ever agin. But if they have a med that can help...which I've heard they do now........then shouldn't I go find out? I haven't been to the rheumy since my fibro Dx in Oct. of 04'. And i would need to find a new one......oy.

Quite honestly, I'm scared. I'm scared the Dx will never end. The thing is...I've had many of these symptoms all my life. They have just gotten worse as I got older. I guess G-d gave them to me through the genes. I'm just not handling it all very well right now

P.S. I've been to naturopaths and they don't know how to help me.

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#243907 - 02/03/06 12:13 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Ruch - I have cracked and dry hands and feet all winter. You're in a really dry area of the country. Also, my hands get cracked in bleeding if I'm washing my hands too much from the OCD. Could this be a possiblity?
Hugs, A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: I'm starting to feel like a hypochondriac
      #243912 - 02/03/06 12:19 PM
Snow for Sarala

Alicia,

Hmmm...I had this even when we lived in Miami (no winter and humid city!) And I'm not OCD with washing my hands too much..... (I use the sanatizers with lotions!)

Maybe I am losing it....getting so excited over this stuff

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: I'm starting to feel like a hypochondriac
      #243915 - 02/03/06 12:26 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Do you have any swelling in your wrists or joints that hurt?? I was told that the Raynaud's Syndrome's (SP??) tell tale sign was that your skin turned white. It could just be very chapped dry skin causing the cracks, I find Neutrogena hand cream to be the best and its not real expensive! If you have swelling though, you should definitely see a dr!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

I'm with Sara-Sage on this....
      #243921 - 02/03/06 12:35 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Ruchie,
All of the Dx you have received thus far are all inter-related and even a small amount of basic google reading will confirm that. Your doctors have proven each Dx with firm testing and results, so no...this is not in your head!

It does seem to be a lot for one person, but like I said, it is not uncommon for one person to have several of these same Dx, because they are all inter-related. As treatment continues, I personally think you will begin to heal and feel better.

Just hang in there! Vent all you need to, and trust your instinct if something isn't right or something changes. I can't imagine how tired you must be of Dr. visits, but at least it isn't in vain!

Love and prayers,
Kim

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 916 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2476

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review