All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
My doctor has me nervous!
      #241939 - 01/26/06 08:43 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Well, I saw a new doctor today, and he wasn't as scary as I'd presumed. Actually, not too bad. But-get this-he is testing me for thyroid(I have seven markers, yikes!)for iron, for type II diabetes, PCOS and eventualy wants to give me a camera bum...if you KWIM...and wondered why I didn't get more than just a barium enema last spring. My tummy has been excellent. i'm having fairly normal poops but the occasional attack, usually after too much fat, too much broccoli or whole grains. Oh well I guess it's worth another inspection.

I'm scared that it is my thyroid, but sort of OK with it too...my sister has major thyroid...but really scared I'm diabetic. My mom is type 2. Looks like thyroid is much more severe to mess around with but neither autoimmune disorder looks fun!

Please keep me in your prayers!! I will let you know ASAP.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Edited by Shannon! (01/26/06 09:08 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

wow new
      #241949 - 01/26/06 09:15 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

What were the seven markers, just out of curiosity?

Well, I hope all of your test results come back favorably (don't want to say "positive" here, do I? ). In the meantime, you're in my thoughts and prayers.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Well, I'm willing to take whatever it is...why I'm getting all the tests.. new
      #241951 - 01/26/06 09:30 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

The things I'm experiencing that are thyroid related are
-super dry skin(didn't tell him that part)
-fatigue even though I'm sleeping lots and not working half as hard as Sept-Dec.
-VERY weird periods(like, they are super heavy but really irregular for me
-dry hair sometimes
-always cold-it's a record warm summer in Alberta and I'm friggin' freezing.
-irritable with kayleigh a lot (c'mon, I teach special ed, I have patience out the wazoo)
-bad restless sleep lately, but always always tired.
what else was there...hmm...
-sort of mini-depressed
-weight gain
-constipation

not all of these symptoms at all times, but enough to warrant.

oh yeah, I didn't tell him I've been weak too, like I'm just ultra lazy!

As for the celiac disease he wants to check out, he's not sure it's really IBS(because I'm lactose int. for sure) and it's good to check it out.plus it's only been dairy/whole grains as triggers lately. I've been eating fat no problem. Since whole grains bother me, he thinks it might be. Well, I guess I'll let him play and I don't mind tests as long as they find/rule out something.
The PCOS is because my periods have been so painful but so finicky. every 2-3 months, and HEAVY and painful. Gawd, you used to be able to set your clocks to my girly cycle.

That's more explaining than you asked for...

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: My doctor has me nervous! new
      #241952 - 01/26/06 09:38 PM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Hi Shannon,

I can speak from experience in saying that the tests for thyroid aren't too bad. They'll just do some blood tests and that will tell them what your levels look like. I think it's quite common for people to be hypo or hyper thyroid. Thyroid pills are also very inexpensive even without having insurance so try not to worry too much.

I've been taking thyroid medication since I was 19yrs old and I'm turing 26 in April and I've been just fine. I just go every 6 mos. to get my thyroid levels checked to make sure I'm ok.

Good luck with your tests.
Jenn

#242004 - 01/27/06 07:20 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Shannon, I've heard that IBS symptoms can mimick thyroid disease so it's not that uncommon for a doctor to order thryoid tests. I don't think you have to worry though. I've been tested for thyroid numerous times and it's come back fine. Both my sister and my mother take medication for throid and luckily I have escaped that inherited disease...for now at least

Let us know how you make out with the results. Good luck and prayers coming your way!!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Hypothyroid here... new
      #242007 - 01/27/06 07:34 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

specifically Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which means my immune system attacks my thyroid causing it to not produce enough. And thyroid tests aren't bad, just a bunch of blood tests. The treatment's easy: I take one pill every morning as soon as I wake up. No calcium or iron for at least 2 hours after you take it. The only problem I've had is I lost weight when I started the thyroid meds, and now I'm having problems gaining it back, but I've always been small and had problems gaining weight.

*HUGS* Let us know how the tests turn out!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#242009 - 01/27/06 07:37 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hey Shannon,

I know next to nothing about thyroid stuff, but I just wanted to say I hope the tests go well and that everything turns out ok! *hugs*

#242026 - 01/27/06 08:17 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I hope that things go well for you! I understand the anxiety and worry that comes with waiting for test results.

I'll be thinking of you. Please do let us know ASAP. -nt- new
      #242039 - 01/27/06 08:41 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#242088 - 01/27/06 11:13 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Oh, try not to let your mind go to bad places. I've been tested for thyroid and diabetes, and of course, they came back normal. I know it sounds bad, but I was hoping the thyroid would come back abnormal so that I could take a pill and that maybe I didn't have IBS, which I am unable to manage as well as anyone else.

Does your tummy hurt after any type of gluten or just the whole wheat? It could be just the whole wheat is messing you up.

I wish you luck, and peace, and I'll be thinking of you. Try not to worry (yeah, right). But what is already is...and you will be able to deal with anything they may find. But you're probably okay, anyhow!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2081 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6609

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review