All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Saw the rheumy dr today
      #241804 - 01/26/06 01:18 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

He did officially give me a rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis. He is starting me on plaquenil and is doubling the dose of the Zanaflex. He was much nicer today than the last time, I guess he was just having a bad day last time I saw him. We even talked about our dogs! He is having me take one placquenil a day for 6 weeks and then I'll see him again and if I'm tolerating it well, he will double it. He said it may take several months to actually start feeling better but at least I feel like I'm making progress now!

I started the antibiotics last night for the urea-plasma bacteria thing and of course have some major D today! Aw well, I brought some baby wipes to work with me!

While I was at the rheumy office, I dropped Harley off and he got his first doggie hair trim! He go a bath and nails clipped and smells so yummy and is all fluffy!! The groomer just kept saying what an amazing dog he was, how well behaved he was and if I ever had to give him up and I was like no way, he's my baby! I was so lucky to find such the perfect dog for me!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Saw the rheumy dr today new
      #241816 - 01/26/06 01:33 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Sorry that rheumatoid is the diagnosis, but know that it can be helped a great deal these days! Sounds like you are truly making progress! Keep us posted!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Good stuff! new
      #241818 - 01/26/06 01:35 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Well, not so good on the RA diagnosis and the D from the antibiotics, but glad to hear that the doc was a better than last time and that things are doing a bit better!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: Thanks Girls new
      #241820 - 01/26/06 01:44 PM
michele

The RA diagnosis does stink but to be honest, at this point, I'm just glad to have someone tell me whats wrong and why I hurt so bad!! Its like I hate to be sick but I'm glad someone is finally acknowledging it, does that make sense?

--------------------

Good news new
      #241821 - 01/26/06 01:44 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I'm glad you were able to finally at least get ONE diagnosis, and hopefully start feeling better soon!

--------------------

#241839 - 01/26/06 02:34 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hey Michele..

My mom is actually undergoing testing right now for what they beleive to be rheumetiod arthritis and/or lupus. ugh.. I'm pretty upset about it, especially bc I don't know much about either diagnosis.. especially since last year she had to have a full hysterectomy due to ovarian cancer. poor mom. Anyways.. I hope the diagnoses helps you get some better care, and that the problem is rectified soon!

--------------------

Some NEWS at least! new
      #241840 - 01/26/06 02:35 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

And there are lots of treatment options out there for RA.

Yay for Harley! Aren't fur babies fab?

Re: Thanks Ashley new
      #241844 - 01/26/06 02:39 PM
michele

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Either diagnoses isn't great news but they can be treated and managed although it sounds like she has already been through enough. Hugs!

--------------------

Re: Thanks epa ginger! new
      #241847 - 01/26/06 02:41 PM
michele

I at least feel like I'm making progress and feel a little more "validated" if you will. Who knows, maybe these treatments will help me carry a baby in the future but right now, its all about me and getting myself healthy!

--------------------

Re: Some NEWS at least! new
      #241848 - 01/26/06 02:42 PM
michele

Yep! He wanted to do the placquenil because it can be taken when pregnant so if I decide in 6 months to try again, I won't have to stop it!

--------------------

#241858 - 01/26/06 03:07 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Michele,
Glad to hear that this appointment went better than the last one Sorry to hear about the diagnosis but I guess it's better to have something "official" than to just be guessing. Hopefully you'll be feeling much better soon!

#241934 - 01/26/06 08:00 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Another diagnosis! {{{{{{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}}}}}}} Michele! You're right, at least now you have an explanation for all the pain. I have premature arthritis in my knees and finger joints No one believes me when I say that because I'm too young, but maybe they should take a spin in my body for a weekend. They'd believe me then!

Aren't dogs the best?? It sounds like Harley is totally in love with you. That's the way it should be! Grab some treats and teach him a new trick. The last trick I taught Kdog was "belly" -- When I say it, he rolls over on his back and waves his legs in the air. Someone told me I should call the trick "office party" instead. Sick, sick, sick.

Try to get some time to yourself this weekend and take a nice bubblebath. I think we all could use one after this cold week! You can get an innertube for Harley and he can join you! Just kidding!

~nelly~

#241992 - 01/27/06 06:23 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Michele,

I am sorry to hear about the RA diagnosis. Now you know what you are dealing with and hopefully the meds will help you feel better soon. I am glad that your doc experience was better this time. I personally feel that docs shouldn't have bad days when it comes to patients but I guess they are only human.

Your little dog sounds so cute. I am happy that you found him. Dogs can be such a joy in life. The unconditional love is wonderful.

--------------------
Janey

Re: Thanks Janey, Nelly and Vicam! new
      #242134 - 01/27/06 12:47 PM
michele

I'm trying to keep the typing to a minumum today as my hand is really sore and swollen. But, yes, at least I know whats going on and I know I'm not going crazy! The placquenil is making me feel rather strange today but the dr said it would take a week or two for my body to adjust so hopefully it'll get better! I'm just ready to feel better!

--------------------

Re: Thanks Girls new
      #242338 - 01/28/06 12:14 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Makes total sense!

I'm glad to hear that you're getting at least some kind of answers. Hopefully the new meds will help.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Yay! Answers at last! new
      #242717 - 01/30/06 09:57 AM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

Michele -

I am so happy for you that you are getting somewhere with answers! It's about time!

I must confess that I am quite angry and upset that it has taken your doctors THIS LONG to figure this out. RA is not that bizarre of a diagnosis! It should not have been that difficult, especially considering all of your symptoms.

I used to work as a RN, and I would get so darn mad at some MDs who just didn't listen to patients and when a patient didn't present symptoms in a 'typical' way, they'd pooh-pooh them and act as if they were crazy. Not everyone fits into the neat little medical 'box' we try to put them in.

I am praying that the Plaquenil helps you and that you are on the road to happier, healthier and more vibrant days!

Blessings,

Little Lamb

#242727 - 01/30/06 10:12 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Michele,

Sorry I mssed your post *hugs*

I'm sooo sorry for the Dxs. Maybe we can get through together? Are you ok? How are you doing? It can take a lot to let it all sink in. Take your time.

Even when we suspect a Dx it can be hard to hear it said officially. Sending you many prayers and my listening ear!

Love,

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

What breed of dog is Harley? new
      #242738 - 01/30/06 10:28 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How big is he gonna be?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Harley is a shih tzu! new
      #242741 - 01/30/06 10:38 AM
michele

He will probably be about 13-15 pounds full grown. He weights 6 pounds right now! I just got his hair bows in so I will take some more pictures soon!!!! I picked a shih tzu because they are breed to be companion dogs. They don't like to be left alone and need lots of love! Harley goes everywhere with me! The only place I can't take him is the grocery store and the post office! I LOVE him SO much!!!!!!! I can not tell you how good he has been for me. He won't replace the babies lost to me but he has helped to heal my heart more than anything!

--------------------

Re: Ruchie new
      #242743 - 01/30/06 10:46 AM
michele

I'm ok with the dx. I am really just glad to have some one else "validate" if you will, my physical pain. Now that we know whats going on, we can work on treating it. It will be a life long battle. The plaquenil will hopefully help in the long run, right now its making me a bit sick but I've heard that should go away in a week or two.

--------------------

Re: Yay! Answers at last! new
      #242745 - 01/30/06 10:52 AM
michele

Thanks LittleLamb! I've been having joint pain and swelling for a few years now but just within the last 6-8 months has it gotten REALLY bad. I was so busy with the reproductive endocrinologist and fertility stuff, that we didn't get into this too much. The RE did test for clotting and ANA and other things and it was all ok. Just recently has my ANA and Sed Rate starting increasing. My ANA is still typically "normal" at 12, I've been told that 13 is the upper most limit. The x-rays the rheumy dr took confirmed the diagnosis.

The combination of the Ambien and Zanaflex at night has been helping me sleep and helping a bit with the fibro pain. Now I just have to wait for the placquinil to kick in!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2686 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1517

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review