All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
I am a HUGE idiot.... long post....
      #240599 - 01/22/06 02:30 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I did the dumbest thing. I am on Celexa for my ibs. It helps with the pain and cramps a lot. When I moved to the states I needed my precription written by a US doctor. So the doctor I went to told me that Celexa for ibs was absurd and that if I'm not despressed that I should go off it. She did tell to me ween off slowly but she made me feel like a moron for taking it.

So what did I do? I stopped taking it. First for 2-3 days I just took half a pill and then I stopped altogether. So what was the result? I feel SOOOOOOO crazy today. (Poeple on these boards with mental health issues have my symapthy X 100!) I have been SOOOOOOOOOO moody, irritable, depressed and just feeling awful. Poor Tommy.

So now that I know that I DO infact need my Celexa I have started taking the full dose again. But it looks like it's going to take a couple of days (or more) for me to feel normal again.

The only trouble is that the doc only wrote me a prescription for 30 days with a "DO NOT REFILL" note on the prexcription. So now I have to find a brand new doctor in NY that will refill my prescription. Maybe I should just say I'm depressed as doctors here might not know about the ibs and AD link???

Also, I do think I have an underlining anxiety problem and taking Celexa has been very beneficial in my life.

I just want to feel normal again. I feel like I have a horrendous case of PMS. Aaagh!!!!!!!

To make matters worse, Tommy's upstairs neighbours were insanely noisy today (no idea why- construction or just very loud friends over???) and it drove me a bit over the edge. I had to take a walk just to get a break from it.

Any suggestions or hugs ar VERY needed today.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh no!! {{{{HUGS}}}} new
      #240610 - 01/22/06 03:11 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

You poor thing!! Doctor shopping is never easy. If this one does not understand the mind-gut connection, you need to find one who does. It is not safe or prudent for them to be putting you on, then taking you off, them putting you on this kind of med!! If we get that, why can't they??

I totally understand your frustration. You should definitely talk to your next physician about the underlying reasons why you are taking Celexa. And stress the fact that not all things work, but this works you you!! Don't give up!! You are totally in the right about this.

Is there a women's health clinic or other GP you can see, before your Rx runs out? Don't give up! There are other doctors, and you need one who gets it.

{{{{{EXTRA HUGS FOR YOU!}}}}}}

~nelly~

That's awful! new
      #240614 - 01/22/06 03:30 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

You're definitely not a moron. I'm surprised she wasn't familiar with using ADs to treat the symptoms of IBS. I'm in the US (Oregon) and years ago I was prescribed ADs by my doctor, so I don't think you need to say you're depressed to get your refill.

I'm really sorry you're having to go through all this. I hope you find a more knowledgeable and sympathetic doctor soon. ***HUGS!***

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (01/22/06 03:31 PM)

Re: Oh no!! {{{{HUGS}}}} new
      #240615 - 01/22/06 03:34 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Nelly.

I had a fab doctor before and I wish I could see him again. Oh well. I will have to do more doctor shopping, that's for sure. I have read about bad doctors before but have never experienced one. [Except for that first GI doctor jerk!!]She spent most of the visit telling me that I look so much youngner than my age and was curious about my accent. Oh brother...

Question-- she wouldn't fill my birth control prescription AT ALL and said that only a gyno can. Is that a US thing or is she full of it Nelly? I only have 2 months of the pill left so I need more of those too.

Tommy tells me his GI doc is very good and might refill my AD precription for my ibs. I might try him. Or else look for a new one. I will NOT put up with b.s. from a doctor. No way!

Now that I've eaten I feel a bit better. Tommy has been great and has given me a zillion hugs when I demand them. ha ha

I hope tomorrow is a new day and I'm not as nuts. This is no fun.

Hugs right back at ya Nelly. You're a great pal.

Re: That's awful! new
      #240616 - 01/22/06 03:39 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Maria. You'd think a New York City doctor would be up to date on the mind-gut conection.

I'll find a good one though. There's no way I am going back to her. Eeekkk!

she's full of it new
      #240635 - 01/22/06 04:19 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Sorry that you're having such a rough time!! It's not true that only a gynecologist can prescribe birth control -- a GP can also prescribe BC. Who cares if she can or not, though, obviously you don't want to go back to see her!

I find it hilarious that she WON'T prescribe you ADs for IBS, because when I was misdiagnosed w/ IBS for so long, everyone kept pushing ADs at me. I did try Elavil at the suggestion of the first GI, but it did nothing for me -- which, since I have endometriosis and not IBS, makes sense.

When you do see a doctor, don't just say you're depressed to get them to refill the script -- tell them the whole story, including your reaction when you went off of it, and your belief that you do need the AD for both your IBS and anxiety issues.

Although, just want to say that you did go off it way too quickly, so your symptoms are probably withdrawal and most likely not what you'll be all of the time when you're off it. Obviously if it's helping and if a REAL doctor doesn't see any reason to go off, though, then no reason to stop taking it.

Good luck ...

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: she's full of it new
      #240640 - 01/22/06 04:45 PM
Sara-Sage

Oh my, she's full of it. Wow, I'm not surprised. She is a pretty bad doctor! She also wanted me to see a GI for my ibs even though I assured her that the best way for me to control it was through diet, stress management and the AD.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions on how to approach this.

Oh my gosh, Tina, I did the EXACT same thing! new
      #240645 - 01/22/06 05:13 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey Tina,

I did the exact same thing as you on Celexa! I thought I had enough to just wean myself off of it, so I decided I could go it alone and it went terribly! Here is a post I wrote then: Going Off Celexa

Anyway, the point is, I started to think that maybe I needed to be on them and I stuck it out.. although when I told my doctor what I did, she scolded me big time. I did start to feel way better, and I think that Celexa wasn't doing anything for me AT ALL. So as poorly as you are feeling now, it's probably because of the suddenly stopping and not because you would be feeling that bad otherwise.

I think that if you go to the doctor and explain that you tried to go off (maybe don't mention how fast you went off?) and you felt really awful and that you really feel you need to be on them? If one doctor says no, I'd try another. I think a lot of doctors are pretty willing to prescribe ADs to people who know they need them.

I hope the neighbour's have quieted down by now, and you aren't feeling as yucky. Maybe you can take a nice long bath.. eat some dark chocolate for those endorphins.

Feel free to vent on us any time, and let us know how you are feeling!

**big hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Yuck! new
      #240649 - 01/22/06 05:33 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'm sorry you have to go through that, Tina! I agree with everyone here, you need to find another GI, that one was full of BS. The only thing GIs have ever prescribed me are ADs and antispasmodics (I can't take ADs, at least Elavil and Prozac, because for both, one pill will literally make me have such migraines and dizziness, I'm bedridden). And any doc can prescribe birth control. If you can't find a doc in time for the BC pills, try Planned Parenthood. They'll make you got through an annual exam before prescribing them, but you can usually get in there relatively quickly.

*sending you and Tommy hugs and happy thoughts!*

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: I am a HUGE idiot.... long post.... new
      #240653 - 01/22/06 05:48 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

First of all you are not an idiot! You didn't know.....
Second, I think you are gonna find our healthcare system a lot different than the Canada Health care system. It seems that Canada is much more lax than the states. You won't find any Tylonel with codeine in any of our stores. That is a total prescription. Controlled drug they call it. Also it seems as if in Canada they refer you and don't have problems with it cause doesn't everyone have the same insurance benefits? Our docs here are strict in referring. They want to treat you themselves before referring. They lose something somehow if they don't. Stupid!!!!!!
Also, prescribing AD's for IBS is NOT uncommon here. They tried to get me to take something and I'm just chicken to. I'm afraid of the side effects of an AD. Besides, like your doc said, I'm not depressed, why go messing with my brain function. But as you saw, it did help you with IBS and your anxiety so it's better you stay on it. You get two fixes for the price of one
Tina, I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding a new doc. You live in a big city now!

Hope your are feeling back to your normal self real soon! and if not...Tommy will still love ya anyway!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10694

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review