All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
I am a HUGE idiot.... long post....
      #240599 - 01/22/06 02:30 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I did the dumbest thing. I am on Celexa for my ibs. It helps with the pain and cramps a lot. When I moved to the states I needed my precription written by a US doctor. So the doctor I went to told me that Celexa for ibs was absurd and that if I'm not despressed that I should go off it. She did tell to me ween off slowly but she made me feel like a moron for taking it.

So what did I do? I stopped taking it. First for 2-3 days I just took half a pill and then I stopped altogether. So what was the result? I feel SOOOOOOO crazy today. (Poeple on these boards with mental health issues have my symapthy X 100!) I have been SOOOOOOOOOO moody, irritable, depressed and just feeling awful. Poor Tommy.

So now that I know that I DO infact need my Celexa I have started taking the full dose again. But it looks like it's going to take a couple of days (or more) for me to feel normal again.

The only trouble is that the doc only wrote me a prescription for 30 days with a "DO NOT REFILL" note on the prexcription. So now I have to find a brand new doctor in NY that will refill my prescription. Maybe I should just say I'm depressed as doctors here might not know about the ibs and AD link???

Also, I do think I have an underlining anxiety problem and taking Celexa has been very beneficial in my life.

I just want to feel normal again. I feel like I have a horrendous case of PMS. Aaagh!!!!!!!

To make matters worse, Tommy's upstairs neighbours were insanely noisy today (no idea why- construction or just very loud friends over???) and it drove me a bit over the edge. I had to take a walk just to get a break from it.

Any suggestions or hugs ar VERY needed today.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh no!! {{{{HUGS}}}} new
      #240610 - 01/22/06 03:11 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

You poor thing!! Doctor shopping is never easy. If this one does not understand the mind-gut connection, you need to find one who does. It is not safe or prudent for them to be putting you on, then taking you off, them putting you on this kind of med!! If we get that, why can't they??

I totally understand your frustration. You should definitely talk to your next physician about the underlying reasons why you are taking Celexa. And stress the fact that not all things work, but this works you you!! Don't give up!! You are totally in the right about this.

Is there a women's health clinic or other GP you can see, before your Rx runs out? Don't give up! There are other doctors, and you need one who gets it.

{{{{{EXTRA HUGS FOR YOU!}}}}}}

~nelly~

That's awful! new
      #240614 - 01/22/06 03:30 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

You're definitely not a moron. I'm surprised she wasn't familiar with using ADs to treat the symptoms of IBS. I'm in the US (Oregon) and years ago I was prescribed ADs by my doctor, so I don't think you need to say you're depressed to get your refill.

I'm really sorry you're having to go through all this. I hope you find a more knowledgeable and sympathetic doctor soon. ***HUGS!***

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (01/22/06 03:31 PM)

Re: Oh no!! {{{{HUGS}}}} new
      #240615 - 01/22/06 03:34 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Nelly.

I had a fab doctor before and I wish I could see him again. Oh well. I will have to do more doctor shopping, that's for sure. I have read about bad doctors before but have never experienced one. [Except for that first GI doctor jerk!!]She spent most of the visit telling me that I look so much youngner than my age and was curious about my accent. Oh brother...

Question-- she wouldn't fill my birth control prescription AT ALL and said that only a gyno can. Is that a US thing or is she full of it Nelly? I only have 2 months of the pill left so I need more of those too.

Tommy tells me his GI doc is very good and might refill my AD precription for my ibs. I might try him. Or else look for a new one. I will NOT put up with b.s. from a doctor. No way!

Now that I've eaten I feel a bit better. Tommy has been great and has given me a zillion hugs when I demand them. ha ha

I hope tomorrow is a new day and I'm not as nuts. This is no fun.

Hugs right back at ya Nelly. You're a great pal.

Re: That's awful! new
      #240616 - 01/22/06 03:39 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Maria. You'd think a New York City doctor would be up to date on the mind-gut conection.

I'll find a good one though. There's no way I am going back to her. Eeekkk!

she's full of it new
      #240635 - 01/22/06 04:19 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Sorry that you're having such a rough time!! It's not true that only a gynecologist can prescribe birth control -- a GP can also prescribe BC. Who cares if she can or not, though, obviously you don't want to go back to see her!

I find it hilarious that she WON'T prescribe you ADs for IBS, because when I was misdiagnosed w/ IBS for so long, everyone kept pushing ADs at me. I did try Elavil at the suggestion of the first GI, but it did nothing for me -- which, since I have endometriosis and not IBS, makes sense.

When you do see a doctor, don't just say you're depressed to get them to refill the script -- tell them the whole story, including your reaction when you went off of it, and your belief that you do need the AD for both your IBS and anxiety issues.

Although, just want to say that you did go off it way too quickly, so your symptoms are probably withdrawal and most likely not what you'll be all of the time when you're off it. Obviously if it's helping and if a REAL doctor doesn't see any reason to go off, though, then no reason to stop taking it.

Good luck ...

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: she's full of it new
      #240640 - 01/22/06 04:45 PM
Sara-Sage

Oh my, she's full of it. Wow, I'm not surprised. She is a pretty bad doctor! She also wanted me to see a GI for my ibs even though I assured her that the best way for me to control it was through diet, stress management and the AD.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions on how to approach this.

Oh my gosh, Tina, I did the EXACT same thing! new
      #240645 - 01/22/06 05:13 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey Tina,

I did the exact same thing as you on Celexa! I thought I had enough to just wean myself off of it, so I decided I could go it alone and it went terribly! Here is a post I wrote then: Going Off Celexa

Anyway, the point is, I started to think that maybe I needed to be on them and I stuck it out.. although when I told my doctor what I did, she scolded me big time. I did start to feel way better, and I think that Celexa wasn't doing anything for me AT ALL. So as poorly as you are feeling now, it's probably because of the suddenly stopping and not because you would be feeling that bad otherwise.

I think that if you go to the doctor and explain that you tried to go off (maybe don't mention how fast you went off?) and you felt really awful and that you really feel you need to be on them? If one doctor says no, I'd try another. I think a lot of doctors are pretty willing to prescribe ADs to people who know they need them.

I hope the neighbour's have quieted down by now, and you aren't feeling as yucky. Maybe you can take a nice long bath.. eat some dark chocolate for those endorphins.

Feel free to vent on us any time, and let us know how you are feeling!

**big hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Yuck! new
      #240649 - 01/22/06 05:33 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'm sorry you have to go through that, Tina! I agree with everyone here, you need to find another GI, that one was full of BS. The only thing GIs have ever prescribed me are ADs and antispasmodics (I can't take ADs, at least Elavil and Prozac, because for both, one pill will literally make me have such migraines and dizziness, I'm bedridden). And any doc can prescribe birth control. If you can't find a doc in time for the BC pills, try Planned Parenthood. They'll make you got through an annual exam before prescribing them, but you can usually get in there relatively quickly.

*sending you and Tommy hugs and happy thoughts!*

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: I am a HUGE idiot.... long post.... new
      #240653 - 01/22/06 05:48 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

First of all you are not an idiot! You didn't know.....
Second, I think you are gonna find our healthcare system a lot different than the Canada Health care system. It seems that Canada is much more lax than the states. You won't find any Tylonel with codeine in any of our stores. That is a total prescription. Controlled drug they call it. Also it seems as if in Canada they refer you and don't have problems with it cause doesn't everyone have the same insurance benefits? Our docs here are strict in referring. They want to treat you themselves before referring. They lose something somehow if they don't. Stupid!!!!!!
Also, prescribing AD's for IBS is NOT uncommon here. They tried to get me to take something and I'm just chicken to. I'm afraid of the side effects of an AD. Besides, like your doc said, I'm not depressed, why go messing with my brain function. But as you saw, it did help you with IBS and your anxiety so it's better you stay on it. You get two fixes for the price of one
Tina, I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding a new doc. You live in a big city now!

Hope your are feeling back to your normal self real soon! and if not...Tommy will still love ya anyway!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Oh what a bummer! new
      #240655 - 01/22/06 06:11 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

But you're not an idiot, the doctor is. You'll find a doc, and this doc should get a spanking.
Feel better, shuga!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#240660 - 01/22/06 06:37 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Tina, I'm so sorry you're feeling so bad. I can relate. I have done this many times----and I always regret it.

My doctor once told me that to wean yourself off these type meds, you should reduce the dosage by 1/4 the first week, another 1/4 the second week, and so on until you are off of it. Anything quicker than that and you feel like you do---irritable, like you're going to crawl out of your skin, and 100 X worse than with any PMS!!!

Now that you've started it back, you should feel yourself again, but it will take several days. Usually, I'm myself again by 48-72 hours.

As for the doctor telling you the AD doesn't help for IBS, she obviously knows nothing about IBS. I hope you can find another doctor that can help you! Maybe if you explain how much it has helped you and how poorly you felt when you went off it it, you can get a new prescription.

Hang in there!

I really feel for you... new
      #240666 - 01/22/06 07:31 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

THey gave me meds (reglan) in my IV in the hospital that made me feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO crazy, agitated or anxious don't even come close, it was positively awful and it is really scary to feel that out of control of yourself. Eric had run home and when he came back he found me just a total mess. They gave me a sedative and I slept it off.

I know that is not the same but I'm just saying that I've developed a really strong compassion for people who feel they are not in complete control of their emotional/mental state for any given reason... it is no fun, scary, and really humbles you. Big hugs and I hope this passes quickly for you, and that you can get the Dr/prescription situation worked out.

(BTW you are not dumb... but you have learned a good lesson!) HUGS

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#240667 - 01/22/06 07:39 PM
dan the redneck man

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: Houghton; MI

I found that "newer" doctors tend to be more open to new ideas. My doc down home (port huron) is like 3 years out of med school. When I brought up the idea of narcotics for controlling extreme episodes, he listened to my thoery on why we should try that approach and then checked to make sure I wasn't a know addict and then perscribed a trial run of 10 pills. He made me feel like we were both in this problem together and he was willing to try anything and everything in his power to help me. He said the key to presenting an idea to a doctor is to do your homework and tell him why you think that medicine helps/will help. When the vicodin helped, he gave me a larger script 20 pills and also gave me his personal contact infor (home phone number, cell number, email, aim) and told me not to hesitate to contact him if I had questions about medication or had a new idea to try.

Re:HUGE HUGS!!! new
      #240710 - 01/23/06 06:46 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You are SO NOT an idiot!!! These doctors are supposed to know what they're doing. But you know what? They don't have to live with you. YOU have to live with you. And if the meds are making you feel better, then hey. So be it.
Besides, who died and made this Doc the end all and be all of what works for IBS?
Hugs, sweetie. Tell them whatever they want to hear to get your meds to help you feel better.
XOXO

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#240714 - 01/23/06 07:00 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

This doctor is an f'n idiot. I have a GI doctor Tina can go see that is extremely good when it comes to IBS. He understands the mind-gut role in IBS. Thankfully, I have an excellent medical plan and Tina can go see as many doctors as she needs to. I also thought it was weird this Dr. wouldn't prescribe BC. It sounds like she wanted to get her buddy a referral and charge my insurance again.

But, on a good note, I will take care of my wife no matter what.

--------------------

#240726 - 01/23/06 07:46 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I just got in Tina and saw this! That dr is a total JERK!! As mentioned, ANY dr can write for bc pills although some won't unless they know you have had a pap within a year. I think its absurd that the dr suggested stopping the celexa, especially since you were feeling better on it!! Try Tommy's dr to get your celexa refilled but I would also suggest calling an OBGYN to get started with so you won't have any issues with the bc pills! Hugs! I hope your starting to feel better!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#240728 - 01/23/06 07:57 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Alicia. You are right.

Tommy new
      #240729 - 01/23/06 07:59 AM
Sara-Sage

You're the best hubbie ever! Maybe I will go see your GI.

I love you so much. xoxo

#240730 - 01/23/06 08:01 AM
Sara-Sage

Michele,

That's it. I haven't had a pap withing a year and told her that. That must be why she wouldn't prescribe them! You're so smart. I forgot that I told her that.

Thanks, I am going to find a gyno here. But maybe not the doc she suggested if she's anything like her.

Thanks Michele.

#240732 - 01/23/06 08:03 AM
Sara-Sage

My previous doc was the same. He was young and just out of medical school too. He was on my side 100% and agreed to try the AD as he said some of his other ibs patients had success with it treating their ibs.

I'll try to get a similar doctor here. Thanks.

Re: I really feel for you... new
      #240734 - 01/23/06 08:06 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Michelle. I am feeling a bit better today but yesterday was the worst. I did feel out of control and it wasn't fun.

Thanks, I did learn a valuable lesson, you're right.

#240735 - 01/23/06 08:07 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, I probably wouldn't go with the gyno she recommended either! Do you have any female friends where you are living now? I know it may sound like a funny thing to ask but most women will understand if you say to them that your new to the area and ask them who they go to for obgyn. If your not comfortable with that or don't know anyone well enough to ask them, call around to a couple offices close by and talk with the front desk girls and see if you get a good vibe. Here in the states, all the dr's I've been too are pretty strict about the once a year pap, especially if your on the pill.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#240736 - 01/23/06 08:07 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks BL. I think the worst feeling with this is the irritability. Any tiny thing yesterday was magnified so much. Poor Tommy was eating a brownie yesterday and the sound of him chewing on it made me lose it a bit. That's not normal!

#240737 - 01/23/06 08:09 AM
Sara-Sage

The gyno I go to has to be listed under Tommy's insurance plan. So I would need to go to one of them.

Tommy's mom and sister I think go to the same gyno so I could ask them who their doc is.

Lisa new
      #240739 - 01/23/06 08:14 AM
Sara-Sage

Oh yes, I am finding the healthcare system here very different than Canada's. I have a bottle of Tylenol with codeine here that I got for $7 from Canada. I bought if for my migraines. Tommy toldme that I couldn't buy it here so I brought it with me.

I have to get usd to how things are here.

I want to sta on my AD's as it gives me double benefits. I just don't like the idea that missing a couple of days doses made me so wacky. I won't mess with that ever again.

Tommy's been great. I burried my face in his armpit the other day for quite a while. It comforted me. He kept asking me how I could breath like that. ha ha He's the greatest!

Thanks Melissa -nt- new
      #240740 - 01/23/06 08:15 AM
Sara-Sage

Re: Oh my gosh, Tina, I did the EXACT same thing! new
      #240743 - 01/23/06 08:20 AM
Sara-Sage

You did. Oh no!

I agree that my nutso symptoms are withdrawal and not how I'd be without taking them. I really hope so!!!

Thanks for asking about the neighbours. I think they stopped around 6pm. Not sure what they were doing but it was WAY too loud. I think they're at work today because I haven't heard a thing. THANK GOODNESS!

Thanks again Steph. It;s nice knowing I can come here and people will support me.

I understand completely new
      #240745 - 01/23/06 08:23 AM
BL

Irritability is the worst! When I'm not on my med, I've been known to cry in the laundry room because my boys left their socks turned inside out! Is that stupid or what? But like you said, every little thing is magnified when you feel this way.

I can't even stand the radio to be on in the car! I get so angry that I'll be walking through the grocery store and think to myself, "I just wanna knock over that perfectly stacked aisle!" Yikes!!!!

And caffeine, ahh, that makes me a raving idiot. If I have one cup of regular coffee, I will chew out everyone in my path.

I hope this feeling goes away soon because I know it is no fun.

((((Hugs)))))

Re: I understand completely new
      #240749 - 01/23/06 08:33 AM
Sara-Sage

Being irritable is the worst especially when you know you're overreacting. I always know I'm irritable when I yell at my cat for stupid reasons! She always lets me know by coming up to me afterwards and apologizing. It makes me feel awful as I know she didn't do a thing!

#240764 - 01/23/06 09:34 AM
Nelly

You know, my GP prescribed me BC pills before. I don't see why you have to go to a specialist, especially if these are pills you've taken before. You can definitely get ADs from a GP. The one thing is they want you to have a yearly pap for the BCs, so if you don't have records, you'll have to see a gyno to get up to date.

Also try Planned Parenthood. They're cheaper than a regular gyno, and they can do all sorts of tests on the cheap too. The ones in my area accept insurance too, but even if you have none they can treat you and you pay on a sliding scale, according to income. They're also nicer, in my opinion, than the regular OB/GYN office slackeys. (My personal favorite thing about PP is that there are none of those obnoxious pictures of freshly squeezed out newborns plastered over the walls.)

Don't let this GP push you around!! None of us should have to settle for bad doctors anymore. The older we get, the less that compromise makes sense!

~nelly~

#240850 - 01/23/06 12:42 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Nelly!

#240854 - 01/23/06 01:11 PM
Nelly

~nelly~

You are not an idiot new
      #240857 - 01/23/06 01:17 PM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

I didn't take my prozac for awhile i got real moody your doctor shouldn't have took you off your body is so used to having it its hard to get rid of it so i need prozac for a long time or the rest of my life i can't do without it

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

You are not an idiot! new
      #240943 - 01/23/06 07:30 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hang in there Tina I've gone cold-turkey off of ADs before and I know how hard it can be...but you'll be ok. Just get back on them and try and find a doctor who will prescribe them for you full-time or at least give you enough that you can wean properly...which means REALLY slowly.

I hope you're feeling better by now...I know how icky it can be...I missed a week of work while going through Effexor withdrawal

*HUG* to both of you! new
      #240984 - 01/24/06 05:23 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and Tonny- good for you! take care of her! get her to a good doc.. I'm actually kinda surprised she wasn't just seeing your doc already

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: You are not an idiot! new
      #241034 - 01/24/06 08:17 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Kelly. I am doing way better today. I think the worst is over with.

UPDATE new
      #241036 - 01/24/06 08:18 AM
Sara-Sage

It's Tuesday and I am doing way better now. I think the worst is over with. I'll never do that again.

Thanks everyone for your support!!!!!!!

#241037 - 01/24/06 08:19 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I'm late here...sorry sis!

You are anything BUT an idiot...one of the smarties ladies I know in fact!

How are you doing now? Are you back on the med?

I'm so proud of you for posting instead of hibernating away...that took major courage yahooo for you! *hugs*

Update please on how you feel today

Love you

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: UPDATE new
      #241043 - 01/24/06 08:32 AM
Snow for Sarala

I missed this when I'm posted just now...

I'm glad to hear this Tina *hugs* I was def worried for you!!!

Keep feeling better

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#241125 - 01/24/06 11:47 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I'm so glad you went back on the Celexa.

I would suggest that you tell the next doc you go to that the Celexa has really helped your IBS because of the brain/gut connection. Tell them also that when you stopped taking it you felt terrible.

I feel sure they will give you a prescription that can be refilled.

Happy to see you back on track.

Barbie

--------------------

Glad you are feeling better, Tina --nt-- new
      #241200 - 01/24/06 01:03 PM
BL

#241240 - 01/24/06 02:23 PM
Sara-Sage

Hey l'il sis. Yes thankfully I am WAY better today. I won't be pulling a stunt like that again!

Love ya too!

#241242 - 01/24/06 02:24 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Rache. This litle bit of craziness definitely makes me more sympathetic for those in our ibs family with depression/anxiety,etc issues. It's not a walk in the park!

Re: UPDATE *DELETED* new
      #241278 - 01/24/06 05:02 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

#241291 - 01/24/06 05:48 PM
Snow for Sarala

You know big sis...I tried e-mailing you right before you got married (being none the wiser that you were about to tie the knot!! ) wanting to send you something. Can you e-mail me so I can get your addy? Thanks *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#241292 - 01/24/06 05:50 PM
Snow for Sarala

I'm SO sorry you had to find this out No it's def not a walk in the park! And being bipolar is not at all easy! Ups and downs...twists and turns...

I AM very glad though that you are doing better and feeling back to yourself. For that I am VERY grateful

HAPPY DANCES ! ! ! !

Love you *mwah*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

You're got mail! -nt- new
      #241520 - 01/25/06 12:43 PM
Sara-Sage

#241522 - 01/25/06 12:44 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks so much Shelby! Me too.

#241524 - 01/25/06 12:45 PM
Sara-Sage

I don't know how you do it!!

You're one strong chick!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10694

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review