All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What is wrong with me?Ladies...please weigh in...
      #239989 - 01/19/06 05:14 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I am having the most bizarre, irregular periods. They come every other month, and they used to start out SUDDEN and gross, and are now trailing to begin with and then hitting hard as of day 3. I'm in lots of pain, but I've always had miserable periods, and D with them.

Now, I also have been getting super cold hands and feet lately, so impossible to warm that they need a HOT bath.It's the hottest, driest winter in Alberta I have ever seen. I don't get it.

I've also got dry skin, no energy, irritability and my hair is falling out.

My sister had to get her thyroid out. I'm thinking mine's off kilter.
And guess what? A doctor I finally found out here has MOVED! And the last doctor I had was a woman, and was around for me for 15 years.I'm so sad. I've had very brutal doctors in my search for the perfect one. The one that moved was SO nice, so compassionate, and very very cute!

Darn it.

Anyone have any other ideas? Or has anyone felt these symptoms before?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Edited by Shannon! (01/19/06 05:52 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is wrong with me?Ladies...please weigh in... new
      #240028 - 01/19/06 07:04 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Well here's my rundown...

irregular periods make me think hormones are off balance somewhere which supports your thyroid theory

you sound dehydrated, with the dry skin, irritability, even hair falling out... but why would you be dehydrated? it is a symptom in and of itself. I stay dehydrated and am still vexed to WHY because I am sure it worsens my C but I drink water like MAD and they've checked my kidney function numerous times.

I'd say check out those hormones for sure. Also something most doctors don't consider but something I had was pelvic congestion or ovarian vein reflux... made for awful periods before I had my uterus removed and then even after that, terrible pain around my ovary before they embolized that vein off. It mostly happens to women who have had babies so it's worth looking into. Not saying you had that, just sayign I did and it's not something dr's typically think of.

hope you get straightened out soon, hugs

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Thyroid, thyroid, thyroid! new
      #240029 - 01/19/06 07:05 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

This definitely sounds like a thyroid thing to me! Is your weight stable? Any weight gain?

Get it checked. It sounds underactive to me. Do a search for "hypothyroid" or "hypothyroidism."

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#240102 - 01/20/06 06:11 AM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

It sure sounds like hormones to me, too. I had hypothyroidism and before I began medication for it, I had EXTREMELY dry skin and hair. (It was so dry that I couldn't get a hairbrush to go through it!) I was so tired that I could not stay awake during the day. I also was very cold and I was very depressed all the time. I didn't have the usual weight gain associated with hypothyroidism. I was put on Synthroid and I did very well on it.

#240324 - 01/20/06 03:35 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Shannon, didn't you also say your sister has endometriosis? This does run in families, so did you ever get checked out for this? This has a very wide spectrum of symptoms/problems depending on the person, but bad periods especially with D is a pretty classic symptom. I think irregular periods can be thyroid-related, but I'm pretty sure painful periods aren't.

Obviously your symptoms could be thyroid-related, and you should definitely get that checked. Make sure they do a thorough job testing, though -- my mom suffered with thyroid problems for years because her stupid doctor kept doing the same basic test and insisting it was "normal".

It sucks that you don't have a good doctor right now, but you've gotta find another one eventually, so it may as well be now. I hear ya about the brutal doctors -- I've had some real winners, too. Start the search now and that'll be all the sooner you finally find the next perfect one.

Your symptoms could also be some kind of vitamin deficiency -- get that checked out as well.

I don't have thyroid problems, but all of my life I've had iceblock hands/feet. 90% of the time when someone shakes my hand and says something, it is not "Nice to meet you", it is "Whoa, your hand is cold". I also have had dry skin all my life, too, and dry skin only gets worse as you get older. Sooo, your symptoms may not all be related.

Anyway, in the end, speculation is pretty pointless -- so go get checked out!! Let us know how it goes.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Oh yes....weight gain... new
      #240329 - 01/20/06 03:48 PM
_Willow

feels like about ten pounds in the past month or so. And it's never easy to lose....

And yep, i've researched hypothyroidism, and taken quizzes to see if I might have it, and yes....it's possible. if they're symptoms of something else I'd want to know too though.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Thanks ... new
      #240330 - 01/20/06 03:50 PM
_Willow

I am feeling depressed sort of right now. there's a ton of life changes again-back to being a sub, not at one job location every day, making less than half of my salary in December...so a lot of sad things, but...still, I can usually weather anything. I don't want to talk to anyone, just want to sit and be hugged....

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Thanks Jen... new
      #240333 - 01/20/06 03:54 PM
_Willow

I've always had colder feet, but in warm temps it's not usually an issue(to the point of falling asleep in my feather duvet in flannel jamms is impossible if I'm cold...)
and my skin is usually not dry- but I even have dry patches on my cheeks....I have a dr's appt in a week. I'm also freaked out because I ahve to pay for meds again, now that I'm not on a contract. I hate that!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Oh yeah, Michelle, I'm super dehydrated.... new
      #240385 - 01/20/06 10:36 PM
_Willow

I can't gag the stuff down. I have a really hard time drinking water of any sort, even with lemon in it.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Do you eat lots of soy products? new
      #241344 - 01/25/06 02:33 AM
Bananna

Reged: 03/19/05

Hi Shannon,

I actually came across your post while searching for soy health risks related to hormones and thryoids - my personal trainer told me today that she'd read an article on some ill effects of soy. I'm still researching, and there's lots of conflicting information, but some articles I've read say that soy can do funky things with thyroids, and some other posters said that they were advised not to eat soy when taking medication for hypothyroidism.

I just thought it might be worth mentioning

You posted earlier in the week, so I hope you're feeling better now!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1236 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3156

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review