All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
See another doctor! new
      #239199 - 01/17/06 12:31 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

The rheumy I went to (referred by student health since they couldn't figure out what was going on) told me I couldn't have fibro because I wasn't depressed and because I was sleeping through the night (though I was waking up feeling like I'd been run over by a Mack truck!). I never went back!

Have you been able to try the magnesium/malic acid supplement yet? That might help with the muscle pain some. And I agree that the swelling IS NOT fibro related, it's something else. Grrrr, so sorry you have to go through this cr@p, Michelle dear!!!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: See another doctor! new
      #239208 - 01/17/06 12:59 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I haven't been able to find a magnesium supplement. Is it something special I have to order on-line? I looked at Costco and Rite-Aid and haven't seen anything that said magnesium on it??

I'll give this guy 30 days, until my next appt, to actually come up with something logical! I figure I'll give this new drug a try for a week or two and call him sooner than 30 days if it isn't helping at all! I agree, GRR!!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

depression! new
      #239209 - 01/17/06 01:09 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Michele, go see someone else. In the last couple years, I've seen a lot of different doctors, including some who have implied (or flat-out told me) that my problems all stemmed from depression. NONE of those doctors helped me. A doctor who falls back on blaming "depression" for your problems either (a) doesn't know enough, or (b) doesn't care enough. Either way it means bad news. All you get out of it is frustration, because every time you try to say you're not depressed, you get accused of being in denial!!

Have you thought about going to the Mayo Clinic? I know it's tough for you to get time off work since you're the only person in the office, but even if you had to take two weeks off work, wouldn't it so be worth it if they could figure out what's going on? At least go to www.mayoclinic.com and read some of the info on their website, if nothing else.

When other people asked me if I've thought about going to the Mayo Clinic, my instinct has been "No! Of course not!" -- but right now I am really strongly considering going. I have a friend who went (and got her problem solved after YEARS of fighting with doctors) and who keeps telling me I need to go. I do notice on their website under reproductive endocrinology (where I need to go) they say they're not taking any new patients for infertility, but I am not sure if that means just plain old infertility or if that means all reproductive endocrinology (since it is sort of all infertility-related). I haven't asked because that would mean I am seriously thinking about it and the thought sort of scares me.

I just hate that you're suffering when you've already had a hundred times your fair share. Give some serious thought to the Mayo Clinic. I'm sure that you, like me, would have hurdles to overcome -- probably mainly financial/timing -- but as I am trying to tell myself, think long-term instead of short-term.

Take care of yourself...

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: See another doctor! new
      #239210 - 01/17/06 01:18 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I get mine direct from my doctor, so it may be something you have to get online....

Here's the stuff I take (yes, it's a bit expensive, my doc's office charges $45 for the same size bottle which is 1 month's supply, since I have to take 6 pills of it a day: web page

Here's what Linz takes: web page , there's a store locator on the left hand side of the page, so maybe you can find somewhere near you that has it!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: depression! new
      #239211 - 01/17/06 01:18 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I agree with what Jen and others have said Michelle. It is well worth your time to find a doctor who isn't going to give you the easy answers (and you DESERVE it). You have been through so much and a doctor that empathizes with you and helps you come up with answers to your problems is out there.

Good luck, I'm thinking about you!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Re: Saw the Rheumy dr today new
      #239223 - 01/17/06 01:45 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Michele, I'm not a doctor, so take this for what it's worth. But I thought zanaflex is a muscle relaxant to be taken occasionally for someone who's pulled a muscle. At least that's what my doctor told me. They told me to try it (when they thought I just had a pulled muscle in my back), and it didn't do diddly squat for me! The only thing it did for me is make me feel drunk (very dizzy and uncoordinated) the next day---and it gave me horrible constipation!

Also, I read that it's not to be taken by pregnant women because they're not sure if it will do harm to an unborn baby or not. If there's any chance you could conceive, that could be dangerous.

It sounds like this doctor doesn't know what to do with you, so he's grabbing for straws. If I were you, I'd get another opinion. You deserve to have someone who will give you the care you need.

Hang in there!

#239228 - 01/17/06 01:50 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yes, Jen, I have thought about the Mayo Clinic or University of Michigan but as far as the "fertility" issues go, I'm just not ready right now. I've been trhough too much and the pain is still too much to get involved in that right now. As far as this "fibro/arthritis" stuff goes, definitely! I figure I'll give this dr 30 days and then I'm going to get serious if things haven't improved!

I know that I am depressed, who wouldn't be after what I've gone through but come on, I'm not THAT depressed and I just can't believe depression can cause 5 miscarriages, all this physical pain and swelling. Depression can't cause iritis either!

Luckily, I have great insurance, so the money issue wouldn't be too bad but getting the time off work would be difficult. However, I will do what I need to do to start feeling better! I've felt too bad for too long and I'm ready to feel good again!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: See another doctor!-Yeah! new
      #239236 - 01/17/06 01:56 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'd get another doctor.

But so happy you don't have lupus...that's good news!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Saw the Rheumy dr today new
      #239243 - 01/17/06 02:20 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

My hand hurt too much to type last week Try not to overdo it...I know it's SO HARD when you want support but you hurt...a bad, bad cycle *hugs* *hugs* *hugs*

We're absolutely here for you...even through the foggies...so know how much you're loved!!!

Take care and let us know how you're doing when you can...

Much love...and chasing your froggies away...
Ruchie

P.S. Sleeping well DEF helps with the pain! I agree BUT it is NOT the end all be all...AND...the doc did NOT have nice bedside manner and that is just not OK imo. I think you're such a smart lady to give it a week and then see what to do (but PLEASE don't hurt yourself and if the sleep meds do something nasty call the docs' office right away)...I was unwilling to try what the doc says without quitting right away. Good for you Michele for trying if that's what you think is right!!! *hugs* You prove your grace, dignity, and preciousness over and over again...

Love you!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#239255 - 01/17/06 03:20 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Wow! I didn't know this is what Mayo Clinic did!! Thanks for the info. Jen! *hugs* Are you seriously considering going? I've heard of it...but never knew what they DID...

I'll go with you ladies!!! I'm only half joking...

*hugs* Whatever you decide please know you aren't alone and that you are NOT depressed and therefore sick ok?

Love you!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2750 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3230

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review