All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
Re: Name of book...help please! new
      #240010 - 01/19/06 06:20 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

You're probably thinking of "The Chocolate War", by Robert Cormier. I've never read it myself (YES!!! there are books out there I haven't read!!) but it's supposed to be a classic. I think it came out in the 70s.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden ... Kay Tracey new
      #240013 - 01/19/06 06:30 PM
jen1013

I also read Kay Tracey!!! I actually own three or four of them but, like most of my Nancy Drews, they are the "updated" versions. Even the cruddy updates are hard to find, though.

Mildred Wirt Benson was from Iowa so she's somewhat of a legend around here. Her books were definitely a lot better than the other series writers.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: OMG! Trixie Belden! new
      #240015 - 01/19/06 06:34 PM
jen1013

Bev ... they published Trixie Belden books up until the early 80s! I think the last one came out in 1983? (I can't remember exactly off the top of my head.) At any rate, they must've listened to you after all about publishing more, since I am pretty sure you were out of elementary school by then.

I always wanted to BE Trixie, but I wanted to LOOK like Di. I always sort of vaguely hoped I'd wake up one day with long black hair and violet eyes, but somehow it never happened.

--------------------
jen

Re: Nancy Drew fans! new
      #240017 - 01/19/06 06:37 PM
jen1013

Harry Potter is a lot scarier! The revised Nancy Drews (which are pretty much all you can find these days) mainly have generic cartoon violence/scary moments. As an adult you won't find them scary in the least! If you can find them, try reading the Applewood Press reprints of the original Nancy Drews. They are SO much better than the revisions they began in the 50s.

--------------------
jen

Re: Kate, if you don't mind....I'm curious why not? new
      #240018 - 01/19/06 06:39 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

While an enjoyable story, I thought that it received more media attention than it deserved. It is not a work of literary genius. It is mostly a marketing success, in my opinion.

Did you find it scarey? I thought it was funny versus frightening. I found it tiresomely predictable & more or less a formula series of novels.

Kate.

Re: Pierce Anthony new
      #240020 - 01/19/06 06:43 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Xanth is fun! Do you like Mercedes Lackey? Tracy Hickman?

I like some of the SF/F work of Elizabeth Moon. And then there is always David Eddings. I still love "The Belgariad."

Oh dear, how could I neglect Terry Brooks? Have you read any Terry Brooks? The "Shanara" Books?

Kate.

Re: Love you too, Ruch, and new
      #240036 - 01/19/06 07:18 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Our 1st year of marriage was just awful! I thought he would leave me for sure! 2nd year not much better. In our 3rd year now I am FINALLY beginning to believe he might not leave after all. That he loves me.

SO sad! I totaly understand how you feel...I'm glad to have someone who understands I must say...so thanks for bringing it up *hugs*

Love you bunches!

Ruch

P.s. Who would EVER leave you?? Not someome too bright or perceptive that's for SURE!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Thanks for the response, you've got mail! n-t new
      #240038 - 01/19/06 07:22 PM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Oh you are TOO sweet! new
      #240041 - 01/19/06 07:28 PM
Snow for Sarala

LOL Mush mush!!!!

You too? I was like a size 0-2 (anorexic) and looked like Jennifer Aniston! Not anymore...now I just look like me

Def show us a pic! That would rock!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

WRITER, oh writer where art thou? new
      #240042 - 01/19/06 07:36 PM
Snow for Sarala

Def get back into writing! It sounds like it's as natural for you as breathing. You should def do it if you miss it!

American Lit...really? What was so appealing to you?

Drama Queen!! LOL You are BOT, silly! Funny, clever...yes....mellodramatic (in a fun way), maybe. A drama QUEEN....that's a little overboard dontchya think

If you are though...I don't see it. Perhaps I don't know you well enough (or perhaps your exaggerating...sorry couldn't resist!)

Who are some famous Canadian authors?

Brit lit...ah yes! I miss those classes! Not just Shakespear....almost everything we read in that class was wonderful. Jane Eyre (cannot recall the names of the other books...but I know the characters well!)

Of course Shakespear was quite wonderful.

I miss writing papers. Hubby and I were just talking about that the other day. I want to go back to school! LOL

Anyone want to pay for it?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 127 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 96533

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review