All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
Re: AWESOME LIST! new
      #239144 - 01/17/06 10:13 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

YES!!! I own both of those books. I thought I was the only person in the world who did!!! I always really wanted dolls like those (from "Two Are Better Than One"), didn't you?

Oh, and I can't believe that I forgot Eleanor Clymer. "The Trolley Car Family" is one of my all-time favorites and "The Get-Away Car" is also high on The List as well. (I read "The Get-Away Car" and "The Pink Motel" around the same time so they always remind me of each other.) (My husband I bought a camper last year and I was trying to explain to him my dream of living in a trolley car just like "The Trolley Car Family" but he thought I was nuts.)

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: one more! new
      #239146 - 01/17/06 10:14 AM
jen1013

I LOVE that book!!!! Only my sister borrowed it and lost it, so all I have left is the dust jacket. oooh, those creepy button eyes!

"Good Omens" by Gaiman and Pratchett is also fantastic but not quite a "kid's" book I guess.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Series books new
      #239317 - 01/17/06 09:27 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Awesome list, Jen!

I was a HUGE Babysitter's Club fan back in the day. I also did all the Flowers in the Attic books--even when they got all weird and incestuous (anyone, anyone?)!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

I admit I'm not one for creepy... new
      #239418 - 01/18/06 09:38 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

so if you can give me a good reason to like it without getting well scared...maybe I'll give it a go!

Harry Potter is about as close as I get to "creepy" or "mystery"....I have enough nightmeres already (sad to say...being abused and having major anxiety/panic took all the fun out of scary stuff for me...)

I'm glad you all enjoy these books so much!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: I admit I'm not one for creepy... new
      #239424 - 01/18/06 09:43 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

in that case, i'd stay away from coraline. but 'good omens' is wonderful, even though it's not a kids book.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

OH MY GOSH THANK YOU ! ! ! ! ! new
      #239425 - 01/18/06 09:44 AM
Snow for Sarala

I only wish we had a printer so I could print these out...but I have to leave for my psych appoint. in about 20 mins and still eat something...and then I leave for the library (and I don't think they have internet access there!)

If you get this in the next few mins...let me give you a sample of what I already know I like and then maybe you can help from there?

I'm religious so even Piers Anthony is a bit too racey for me (LOVED him when I was in high school...Juxtaposition is my fav of his.)

I loved Paula Danziger

I like classics...I majored in Lit in college but Brit Lit was my fav out of the classes we took

I enjoy romance. I enjoy fantasty. I enjoy bios and auto-bios.

Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, etc...all GREAT stuff!

So...I hope this helps you help me

Thanks Jen...feel free to go on and on......I'll be recovering from surgery and I plan on READING my way through recovery

*hugs* and many THANKS!

Love,

ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: AWESOME LIST! new
      #239428 - 01/18/06 09:48 AM
Snow for Sarala

The Trolley Car Family...sounds VERY familair! If it's what I'm thinking of I LOVED IT as well!

Ok...I need to eat...I'm running late!

*sigh* Books are better than food!!!! LOL

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: I admit I'm not one for creepy... new
      #239432 - 01/18/06 09:51 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Jaime, as always, for getting back to me *hugs*

I think I will have to make another run to the library between today and next week. There are just sooo many great books!

I feel like a kid in a candy store with all my favorite jelly bean flavors (I'm addicted!) only better!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Series books new
      #239435 - 01/18/06 09:53 AM
Snow for Sarala

Yep...Babysitter's Club, Sweet Valley High...and then as I got older I was into Piers Anthony!!

And now I'm into Harry Potter (almost half-way through Book II)

Series are GREAT!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: OH MY GOSH THANK YOU ! ! ! ! ! new
      #239644 - 01/18/06 07:22 PM
jen1013

Well, I didn't read this earlier today (sorry!) but I'll take a guess as to a few of the books from my list that you might like better --

Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles
John Fitzgerald's "Great Brain" series
any of Diana Wynne Jones's books
Maud Hart Lovelace's Betsy books
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor's Alice books
any of E. Nesbit's books
Sydney Taylor's "All-of-a-Kind Family" series
Jean Webster's "Daddy Long-Legs" and "Dear Enemy"

I highly recommend doing series when you're going to be out of action for awhile -- for some reason I always enjoyed a stack of books better if they were a "group". Maybe that's just me.

Before you go to the library, swing by your local thrift shop. I get most of my kids' books there. For as $.25-$.50 per book, you can own it forever and don't have to worry about due dates. Libraries also usually have book sales 1-2 times each year where they sell their discards. I look forward to introducing my children to my book collection. Whether they like it or not.

I am so envious of you for just discovering these books for the first time!!! Make sure you post your reviews, even if you hated the book.

--------------------
jen

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 267 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 96524

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review