All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
Re: Jen? Anyone? Maybe you can help me find this book... new
      #240648 - 01/22/06 05:30 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

That's incredible! What a fab idea! Thanks for sharing Jen...

So what are some that stump you? I doubt I can help but I'll try...

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Jen! I think I found it! new
      #240650 - 01/22/06 05:34 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I did a search at Loganberry's and was browsing when I came across this book: The Hill House by Ragnhild Chevalier Williams. I believe that's the book I've been looking for! It's out of print, but a bookstore I used to go to often, very close to where I live, IS SELLING IT. So, I'll have to see if it's the one!

Thank you!

Yeah, it kind of went off on a tangent. can you tell AShley, Alicia and I have a passion? LOL nt new
      #240656 - 01/22/06 06:15 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Hee hee, better explain... new
      #240657 - 01/22/06 06:22 PM
_Willow

When i refer to the lower IQ people who struggle to learn and will never really get to the point of a regular person... they have a "cup"(brain) in which to fill 'marshmallows" (information)...well, we all do. But for those with lower capabilities, hey can only fit so many marshmallows on before the blow the lid and can't fit more in without painstaking work. With an LD, there's no limit to how many marshmallows that fit in that teapot, but they have to go in different wasys than "normal" peoples marshmallows do. And yeah, sometimes it's repetition, sometimes I find dancing or hopping or clapping the spelling of a word helps kids. Sometimes they have to hold your hand and trace the letter over and over for the brain connection to see that, Oh! This is a G.But once it's there,y ou HAVE it.

People with lower brain functioning sometimes get it one day and it's GONE the next. That was the most trying part of my last four months. I had a fourth grader who was fourth grade level at math, and barely kindergarten with his reading. And it would NOT go in. Luckily, with LDs, it will eventually get in there!

Does that make sense or am I just scrambling you right up?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

LMAO! I had no idea that was an acronym! I thought she was just a weirdo... new
      #240658 - 01/22/06 06:26 PM
_Willow

but now I'll have to go back and REALLY check her out. I thought she just ad housecleaning tips, LOL!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Sherlock Holmes, Lemony Snicket... new
      #240669 - 01/22/06 08:04 PM
Snow for Sarala

I am pretty sure Sherlock Holems is under the category of mystery...so what would be an example of a who-done-it?

And what category does Lemony Snicket fall into?

I'm actually aching to read mystery and who-done-it thanks to Harry Potter, can you believe it? LOL

Who would've thought??

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Sherlock Holmes, Lemony Snicket... new
      #240671 - 01/22/06 08:13 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Ruchie, are you looking for adult mysteries or still children's books? I've read a lot of adult mysteries, but children's mysteries I'm pretty much limited to Nancy Drew and Kay Tracey.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

What about ... new
      #240682 - 01/22/06 09:45 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

John Bellairs' books? The Johnny Dixon mysteries, The Letter, the Witch, and the Ring (Louis Barnavelt mysteries). These are great books: great character development, well-developed plots, clever mysteries, just enough creepiness to keep you reading, and most of his books are illustrated by the fabulous Edward Gorey!

Re: What about ... new
      #240831 - 01/23/06 11:55 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'd never heard of Bellairs, but I did some poking around and his stuff looks really interesting. And I love Gorey! Thanks, Maria.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Hee hee, better explain... new
      #240882 - 01/23/06 02:55 PM
Snow for Sarala

This makes perfect sense!!!

If I can ever tell you things I did to make it go in...I'd be happy to share. Reading was like this for me as well as math.

I had a terrible time with reading com. to the point the LD head at my college didn't think I should major in English Lit and encouraged me to do performing arts instead.

But I stuck it out! And I would love to help someone else with my struggles in any way I can. You have my e-mail addy...write me re. this any time!

And thank G-D for people like you Shannon!!! Clapping your way to top!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 489 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 96537

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review