All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
Re: Ah, that's nice... new
      #240572 - 01/22/06 11:03 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I'm playing a new tape thanks to flylady.net a FREE site about Finally Loving Yourself (FLY) and it is helping me keep my perfectionism in check (can help you declutter your home and bod) just thought you might be interested. GOOD FOR YOU working on perfectionism 1st...hurray for the smart lady!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ruch - Ashley is right on... new
      #240587 - 01/22/06 12:24 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

In order to meet the criteria for being LDisabled, you HAVE to have AT LEAST average intelligence. Which would be 100-110 or so. Many many LD kids are even brighter than that. If you got through school with a 3 - 4.0 GPA, I would guess your IQ would be a MINIMUM of 120 - 130. Correct me if I'm wrong, Dr. Spice.
I've done lots of IQ tests, too in special ed. To have 7 LD's and be that successful, that shows that you are VERY bright and VERY strong willed. You should be SOOOO proud of yourself.
There's no way you would have done so well with that much adversity if you weren't really really smart!
Smooches, A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Ruch - Ashley is right on... new
      #240593 - 01/22/06 01:36 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

nope I agree Alicia. I regularly test kids with ADHD, Dyslexia, Developmental reading disabilities, and other learning disabilities with IQ's within the 120-130 range. Its true that most have between a 90-110 IQ, but many of the kids I work are even farther along than that! woohoo ruchie.. you rock and are an inspiration for other kids with LDs.

--------------------

Holy Thread, Batman! new
      #240595 - 01/22/06 01:57 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I don't have much to add, but eh, here's my two cents nonetheless! I have a small collection of kids' books of things I find quirky or just sweet.

I read a ton of the Bobsey Twins when I was in 2nd-4th grades. They were kinda below my level, so I read them fast. They were formulaic, but I guess I liked them well enough.

Coraline is indeed an excellent & creepy read. There's even an illustration that creeped me out so much I slammed the book shut! At first glance, I thought it was a spider, but it was actually just a spiky hand.

I can't believe no one's mentioned Patricia Palacco. I think that's the right name. She wrote the Keeping Quilt and a bunch of other books. Once in awhile, I have to read the Keeping Quilt out loud to kids, and I choke up near the end every time.

I've yet to read any Harry Potter, but I did read about 7 of the Lemony Snickets. Those are great, but they're also sorta training wheels for future goths! But then, there's nothing wrong with goth in my book.

Patricia Polacco? new
      #240612 - 01/22/06 03:16 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I've never read her, but I used to shelve her books all of the time. I'll keep an eye out for "The Keeping Quilt".

What's so goth about Lemony Snickett's books? I love all of the sly literary references.

The Bobbsey Twins are yet another series that suffered from the Curse Of The Revisions. All these great kids' books that were written in the first half of the twentieth century underwent major overhauls beginning in the 1950s or so. Sure, they took out all of the racist stuff, but since they didn't stop there, most, if not all, of the books' original charm tends to be lost. The modern Bobbsey Twins in particular are really terrible. Applewood Press has begun to slowly reprint the original editions of some series, but I don't believe they're doing the Bobbsey Twins, at least not yet.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Jen? Anyone? Maybe you can help me find this book... new
      #240613 - 01/22/06 03:25 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Do you know the title of a book about a little boy who goes to live with his grandparents for a summer? I've been trying to find this book for years, but I can't remember the title or author. Here's what I remember:

--The boy wants to learn how to swim. He collects corks to make a flotation device.
--He befriends a smelly hermit who has a goat and makes goat cheese.
--His grandparents or the hermit tell him stories; one story is about a man who gives his fiance a ring which makes her cold. It turns out the ring is a crown to an evil witch/snake.
--I think the boy's name is Pip?

Thanks for your help!

Lemony Snickett and the Bobbsey Twins new
      #240633 - 01/22/06 04:14 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

What's so goth about Lemony Snickett's books? I love all of the sly literary references.

Actually, I wouldn't call them goth so much as just dark. Forcing a minor into marriage by threatening infanticide sort of leaps out at me - and I've only read the first book.

I liked the Bobbsey Twins, too, and have some old ones on my shelves. My 12th grade Biology teacher used them in genetics: it's pretty unlikely that the same set of parents will produce two children who are tall, dark, and lean (Nan and Bert) and two children who are short, blonde, and plump (Freddie and Flossie). They're also very useful if you do crossword puzzles - Nan and Bert come up fairly frequently.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Jen? Anyone? Maybe you can help me find this book... new
      #240641 - 01/22/06 04:51 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Sorry, Maria -- it doesn't sound familiar, so my guess is that I've never read it. It does sound interesting.

If there's a book that's driving you nuts because you can't quite remember the author/title even though you remember pivotal details, then you need to visit Loganberry Books. Well, not literally, but their website has a "Stump the Bookseller" section -- for $2 you can give whatever fuzzy details you remember and see if anyone out there remembers it. I am generally very very good about remembering books, but there's a handful that have continued to elude me, and I finally broke down and asked about one -- they found it!!! In fact, if you check in the index under "Tibor Gergely's Great Big Book of Bedtime Stories", you can see my original ditsy query with a really vague clue about a whale and an aquarium.

If you decide to do this, the details you've given below are very good, but I would also mention whether it is a picture book vs. chapter book. If you remember, I'd also put down the vintage of the book, whic helps a lot. If you don't remember that, at least put down the last time you remembered reading it -- if you haven't read it since 1990, that knocks out a lot of potential books.

When I have kids, I am keeping their childhood books!! My mom relentlessly threw ours out except for some that my sister had stashed away.

Anyway, good luck on finding it!!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Very helpful! Thanks! (m) new
      #240644 - 01/22/06 05:08 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I've just been looking through the "Solved Mysteries" at Loganberry Books. Wow! It's reminding me of even more books I enjoyed reading as a child.

Definitely keep your children's books! I still have a lot of mine, including a lot of Archie comics.

Unfortunately, the book I'm looking for was from my elementary school library. Maybe I should go there and see if they still have it, but with my luck they've probably discarded it by now.

Thanks again for the link and help!

Re: Lemony Snickett and the Bobbsey Twins new
      #240646 - 01/22/06 05:14 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

The "goth" bit was meant tongue in cheek. I like the literary references, too. In a way, it reminds me of Looney Toons. I remember as kid, not getting the references, but knowing it was supposed to be funny. And most of those cartoons are even funnier now as an adult.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 500 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 96532

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review