All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
Re: LOL! I miss writing papers too-it'd be ideal new
      #240536 - 01/22/06 08:34 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

LOL You crack me up!

Thanks for the Canadian author lead...will have to add it to my now insanely long (BUT SO GREAT!!!! YAY) list of books to read! Don't you just love even the feel of books in your hands and having them around the house?

I know you're not a drama queen...but I bet you right kickin books! Can't wait till you're published!!! Let me know....

So I'll give you a topic and you me and we'll write papers. Can you believe I truly miss them THAT MUCH?!?!

Yeah...I am pretty naive in many ways...but in others not so much. It's a weird mixture. I've been overexposed and so in order to protect myserlf I "hide away" somewhere. Strange....

How's your weekend going?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Y'all might want to rethink the IQ thing.... new
      #240540 - 01/22/06 08:41 AM
Snow for Sarala

So how would you classify me Dr. Spice?

7 LD's, ADD, an avergae IQ score, but I got myself through school with decent grades (had no friends doing it though...who has time when you work THAT hard??) receiving a 4.0 my final semester in college and a 3.0 overall? What does this say about me? I would LOVE your opinion! I feel like you can be objective for me.

Thanks for posting! *hugs* It means a LOT!

Love ya!!!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#240556 - 01/22/06 09:40 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

well.. I think your ideas are right on. In order to have a learning disability you must be of at least average intelligence which you are, so the diagnoses are probably right on. HOwever, its obvious you had many strengths as well bc you were so successful in school! Kids with LDs are more than able to get through school successfully, because they are able to gain knowledge and are generally very smart people.. they just need to find ways to learn that are different from the ways in which a child without LD's learn. Its sounds like you were able to successfully navigate finding success! WAY TO GO RUCHIE!

In general, kids with LD's can't learn in the ways in which the mainstream student can, and it sounds like you got the help you needed to learn ways around that and overcome it!

--------------------

#240557 - 01/22/06 09:49 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Ashley...aka Dr. Spice!

It was SO HARD I cannot even begin to tell you! I spent my LIFE studying and didn't have a life! We didn't find out I had LD's until my senior year of high school so I struggled and no one knew why

In college I went to tutoring daily pretty much. I interviewed my proffs and let them know my situation up-front. If they didn't seem ok with it...or if they weren't willing to give me extensions on papers and extra help during their office hours...I found a proff who would. Sometimes I lost out on taking a class I really wanted to take because a proff wouldn't work with me...but in the end it was all for the good!

I had to be my own advocate. I had to be creative. And I spent more time workng than the Learning Assistance Center had ever seen a studnt work before. I wanted it THAT much! (AND I had untreated bipolar to boot!!)

I guess I should pat myself on the back? I never looked at this way until these boards. I succeeded!!! Hurray!

Thanks again Ashley! I'm finally starting to understand what I was up against and that I did it anyway!

Your job is SOOOOO important Ashley! Always remember that! There are SO many kids out there and you are helping them every day! Thanks for all you do for them...it means a lot to them, their parents, and to me

Sending you lots of love and gratitude again for all you do

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#240560 - 01/22/06 10:23 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

that's what I call perseverance and a can-do spirit. and believing you can do it, not istening to anyone else's crap!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

You, my dear, did an amazing thing! new
      #240562 - 01/22/06 10:29 AM
_Willow

learning disabilites are not a death sentence by far. But your "stick-to-it-iveness" is incredible and you should be terribly proud of yourself.
The way I explain it to people is that LD people have to put the information into their brains sideways, upside down, inside out...and that eventually if they keep trying diferent ways, they'll find one that works. In my experience with teaching LD kids(that's my special ed specialty)it's been amazing how I can re-explain things till finally, I get that little marshmallow into that teapot. And your teapot can hold however many marshmallows you choose!(this is how I explain children with cognitive delays...eventually,their teapot's marshmallowes get hard and they can't fit much more in, or it gets REALLLY HARD!)

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Ah, that's nice... new
      #240564 - 01/22/06 10:31 AM
_Willow

I think I might just start playing that tape. I'm working on it, relaly I am. I'm not even being hard on myself with my weight because my #1 priority this year is to get the perfectionism in check.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

awww thanks! new
      #240566 - 01/22/06 10:42 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I can imagine how much you struggled, but now you can lay back, put your feet up, and thank god that you never need to take another class, or write another paper on deadline again if you dont' want to. phew.

--------------------

Re: awww thanks! new
      #240570 - 01/22/06 10:53 AM
Snow for Sarala

You earned it Ahsley! You have a difficult job and you're DOING IT!!! Hurray for you! *hugs*

Funny thing is I miss those papers. As hard as they were I got a LOT out of them in every aspect you can think of....can you believe I'm seriously considering an MLS? LOL First we have to get me well enough then who knows...

I enjoyed school because I learned so much AND because it was such hard work. It was a challenge for me in a way most people don't experience school to be. And it was FUN (I know I'm weird!!!!)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: You, my dear, did an amazing thing! new
      #240571 - 01/22/06 10:57 AM
Snow for Sarala

Shannon in your anology are you saying that we take many explanations and much hard work before we "get" something? If not...please explain your analogy to me cause I'm missing the boat (or marshmallow)

Special ed proffs are HARD WORKING people and I love every one of you! I wish I'd had one all those years...but I'm thankful you're all out there so thank you for being you and doing what you do Shannon *many hugs*

Love you!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 254 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 96535

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review