All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
Elizabeth Moon (edited) new
      #240238 - 01/20/06 12:01 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Note: These are NOT children's books. No way, no how.

My very favorite Elizabeth Moon is "Sheepfarmer's Daughter". The back cover blurb says:

Paksenarrion - Paks for short - is somebody special. She knows it, even if nobody else does yet. No way will she follow her father's orders to marry the pig farmer down the road. She's off to join the army, even if it means she can never see her family again.

For me, it's one of those "impossible to put down" books. It's the first in a trilogy and the first half of the second book ("Divided Allegiance") is just as good. After that, the rest of the trilogy is still readable, but not spectacular - and kind of weird.

She's also written the Serrano Legacy books - I've read a handful of them. "Once A Hero" is excellent. It's a good adventure story and it also deals with family issues around abuse. The other books in the Serrano Legacy series are:
Hunting Party, Sporting Chance, Winning Colors, Rules of Engagement, Change of Command, and Against the Odds. I don't actually remember which ones I've read, but they were all good adventure stories featuring strong, likable women.

She's also written some other stuff, both Fantasy and SciFi that I haven't gotten to yet.

As for keeping track of all the books you want to read, if you figure something out, please let me know. I've got scraps of paper with books written on them, word documents on my computer (some with one document for each author, some "lists" like "100 best scifi"). I've tried spreadsheets, data bases. I'm really starting to think 3x5 cards, like the old card catalogs, are the way to go. Then when I go to the library, I can just pull out a random handful to take along.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (01/20/06 12:52 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

A horse, a dog, and some goody-two-shoes - more classics new
      #240243 - 01/20/06 12:13 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The Black Stallion by Walter Farley - I loved this when I was around 10. A 17-year old boy and an unbroken stallion are shipwrecked together. They learn to trust each other and, when rescued, go on to become a racing phenomenon. Written in 1941.

Treve by Albert Payson Terhune - A valuable dog is damaged and abandoned by his money-grubbing owner, only to be taken in and cared for. Copyright 1924 - it seems to be out of print.

Heidi by Johanna Spyri - A really nice book.

The Five Little Peppers - I always sympathized with Joel, who spoke his mind, even to the minister's icky sister.

Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter - I didn't read this until I was an adult. Although "Pollyanna" has become something of an insult, it's actually about appreciating what you have.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

You're totally right, new
      #240335 - 01/20/06 03:57 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Alicia. I ahve a 142 IQ and feeluterly stupid a lot of the time. it's not your IQ, it's your I CAN.

I believe that gifted/highly intelligent people have far more to worry about, because their brains don't shut up. may just be me, but my mind is on 24/7. Sometimes I beg it to shut up!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Oh, stop it! new
      #240337 - 01/20/06 03:59 PM
_Willow

You make me blush. And the same goes for you, by the way. Everyone else sees what we don't allow ourselves to....

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

LOL! I miss writing papers too-it'd be ideal new
      #240338 - 01/20/06 04:06 PM
_Willow

if they were free courses, and there was no deadline. Of course, i'd never write them,LOL! I need that gun to the head.

Anyhow, I exaggerate on a regular basis. No I'm not a drama queen, only when I have to be. but I'm a "big fish" tale spinner-they're always true, but usually involvel esser details.
I try not to exaggerate on here...not like IRL, LOL!

I don't know what I liked about American lit. Might just have been my prof's choice of books and his teachign style.

As for Canadian Lit-read Such a Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry. His more famous novel is A Fine balance. I read a ton of great female writers and can't recall the books right now. beautiful writing, and all fairly contemporary(in our lifetimes)

But the crap I read might be too risky for you, knowing the delicate flower you are. I used to be a real rebel back then- I'd probably be shocked at it now.LOL!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: wow, great picks! new
      #240419 - 01/21/06 09:33 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

no! you don't want to be just like me! I'm both a lit geek AND a computer geek, so I am double-jinxed. This guarantees never having any dates except with guys who spray when they talk and are resentful because Angelina Jolie has never answered their fan mail. Unless, of course, you meet someone fabulous like my husband, who can look beyond the geekiness to what really matters -- my income potential. Ha ha. Just kidding. Mostly.

The Little House books are definitely NOT girly at all. There are actually lots of boys out there who read them as well. Sure, Laura may walk around in a skirt, but SHE is definitely what I would consider a tomboy, even if she does grow up to curl her bangs with a heated slate pencil. And go to parties where every guest gets a WHOLE ORANGE. And have calling cards of her very own, which cost a dime. And be courted by Almanzo, who comes every weekend to fetch her home from her teaching job where she boards with the crazy lady who gets up in the middle of the night to threaten her husband with a butcher knife.

Wow, can you tell I have read those books WAY too much?

One great thing is that you can also visibly see Laura's progress as a writer as the books go on. When I was little, "Little House in the Big Woods" was my favorite, but as I got older I liked the later books a lot better. When I got older yet, I realized that this is because the later books formed more of a cohesive narrative -- as Laura began to write, she was a lot more stilted and there was little to no dialogue. More like an anecdote being told, rather than a story. And anecdotes are fine, but I much prefer stories.

"The Long Winter" is my favorite, but "Little Town on the Prairie" is a very close second. Once you read all of them you'll have to let me know which one you prefer.

Oh -- and treacle is another term for molasses. I think this is probably a British term because I remember reading it mainly in British books (I also saw a lot of references to "treacle pudding"). It's also used to indicate something that is icky-sweet. Like overly sentimental Victorian literature.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: wow, great picks! new
      #240489 - 01/21/06 06:20 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Still wanna be like you if you can read quickly and have a vast vocab! SO THERE nanner nanner

Thanks for the def. of treacle.

WOW! You are SO observant...listen to you go on about Laura Ingalls and how her writing improved. You have a LOT of talent missy don't ever think otherwise.

People that are observant are in my opinion TRES COOL!!!

Sending you love and hugs and THANkS!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I tell my brain AND my talker to be quiet all the time!!!! n-t new
      #240528 - 01/22/06 08:07 AM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Oh, stop it! new
      #240529 - 01/22/06 08:22 AM
Snow for Sarala

Just being honest Shannon!

And yes...tis true...we often do not see ourselves quite right...esp. when we are told how awful for years and years....

We believe what we are told. If I tell you an apple is an apple and I call it that for years you will believe I'm right! Funny story...I know a woman (brilliant btw!) who was tuaght that a mango was called something else all her life (I think the something else was an avocado). She never knew there was a mango fruit! Boy was she surprised when her to-be hubby asked her to buy an avocado and she brought home a mango fruit!!)

So you see! We believe what we are taught.

Now believe this

I am Shannon and I am beautiful, intelligent, wonderful, a GREAT friend, creative, and just plain FANTASTIC!!!!

*hugs*

New tape recorder starts playing NOW!!

Oh and hubby thinks I'm just the most wonderful woman that ever walked the planet and he will be with me for all the days of our lives because he loves me and knows how lucky he is to have me.

Tell yourself the TRUTH SHannon!!!!! *hugs*

Love you!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Y'all might want to rethink the IQ thing.... new
      #240533 - 01/22/06 08:30 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Alicia's right! (which is funny that I agree bc I give at least one child an IQ test every week for work ). Anyways... People with learning disabilities have to have IQs within the average to high average range. IQ's tell what your ability SHOULD be.. but not necessarily what someones true performance ability is. In addition, its important to look at many other factors, such as interests, talents, long term performance in schools, rather then placing all the emphasis on an IQ score.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 334 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 96529

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review