All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
Re: Children's books and authors........ new
      #240087 - 01/20/06 04:35 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Hey Ruchie,

I am really out of the loop here and don't even know what kind of surgery you are having. Not having internet really stinks! I keep you in my prayers even when I am not on line. I think you are such a special person.

My favorite children's book is The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. This is the most wonderful book and I read it over and over to my kids when they were growing up. Actually, I love all of Shel Silverstein's books. He has several books of poetry.

I haven't read through all the posts so I don't know if someone else mentioned this or not. If so sorry for the repeat.

Take care,

--------------------
Janey

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Y'all might want to rethink the IQ thing.... new
      #240099 - 01/20/06 05:50 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

My Doctor when I was diagnosed stressed how common it is for bipolar people to be highly creative and intelligent. I never considered myself overly smart - definitely creative from the musical sense, but not overly intelligent. Guess what my IQ came back to be? 135!!!!! I just about passed out! I couldn't believe it. Here I have a brother with a freakin PH.D., a hubby and BIL who are engineers, and they all had scary high averages in HS. Just goes to show!

On a footnote, I also believe that IQ tests CANNOT and NEVER will be a total measure of intelligence. Creativity is not possible to measure nor ever will be. Some things simply cannot be measured.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Thanks Alicia *hugs* new
      #240137 - 01/20/06 07:40 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I know IQ doesn't mean everything. I just went through so much pain with school.....

But I did it! With 7 LD's, ADD, and bipolar and post traumatic stress...I graduated AND got a 4.0 my final semester graduating with a 3.0

I usually forget that I did this and tell myself how horrible I am But you reminded me I WAS creative in order to make it! Ex... I got the people at the learning assistance center to allow me as many hours as I wanted for tutoring when they only allowed like 2 a week! (Or maybe that was cause they had never seen someone work so hard at school in all their years there!! LOL This had actually been told to me there on occasion!)

Thanks again Alicia. I truly needed to hear this. Maybe I'm not so bad off with my brains after all

Love you!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

In defense of Rowling! new
      #240139 - 01/20/06 07:48 AM
Snow for Sarala

Most people don't have it all. This is why people get together and team up on things.

Rowling has a SPECTACULAR imagination! And she is able to weave a story together and line it up with sequence and storyline.

I'm not a good judge at the predictibility factor (esp since I haven't finished book II yet. I'm not sure who the voice Harry keeps hearing is yet nor do I know who frightened Mrs. Norris) so I can't comment here. I will say I was surprised at Proff Quirrel...but I NEVER read Who-Done-Its so this is super fun for me and I truly had no idea who it was (looking back I might have known due to certain things...like Quirrel's stutter and the way he arrived on the scene with the troll....but this is looking back. I wonder if I am right with the 2nd book? I'll let you know)....but again it depends on WHY you are reading a book as well.

I'm sure there are some authors who have it all. And perhaps that makes them GREAT. But if you are looking for a fun read that is deep enough without being too much fluff I LOVE IT!

Sorry Maria...I think your comment just went to my head...about sharing my voice! Maimonides (or Nachmonides, can never remember) says to go to the extreme before you come to a balance. Hope my extreme doesn't last too long. Sorry if I've said too much!

*Ruchie, STOP TALKING...errr writing*

Love you Maria *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Maria...how many new
      #240140 - 01/20/06 07:49 AM
Snow for Sarala

of the books did you read?

I'm wondering as I do some writing myself...what was clunky about her writing? I'm trying to learn from the good and the bad of other authors...help me out here! I would love your feedback specifically, thanks!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Children's books and authors........ new
      #240141 - 01/20/06 08:02 AM
Snow for Sarala

Janey!

SOOO Great to see you! *hugs* *hugs* *hugs*

I LOVE this book as well!!! Isn't it super!

How are you doing these days? I'm doing ok. My surgery is next Thur. We are doing exploratory surgery for Interstitial Cystitis which is inflammation of the bladder. This means that when I eat certain foods and come in contact with allergens that I ingest I am doing dammage to the bladder wall (if I have it...which is almost a sure bet). So I will need to restrict my diet down to almost nothing!!! But I will get through it. I'm nervous about the surgery and recovery which is why I posted this thread. I enjoy reading very much...it's one of my best friends and I am into children's books now as it helps me heal from PTSD. This post is getting me through!

Ok...off to reading! Can't wait to hear how you're doing when you get a moment!

Sending you lots of love Janey...you're sooo special always remember that!!!! *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Maria...how many new
      #240182 - 01/20/06 09:30 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I've only read the first two, so maybe it isn't my place to judge! I've read parts of the later books. I wish I had a copy of the book with me, so I could give you examples.

What do you enjoy writing? I've read your poems and know that you have a great way with words. Have you thought about writing children's books? Maybe this surgery and all the reading you're doing will inspire you to write some stories!

Re: Maria...how many new
      #240194 - 01/20/06 09:48 AM
Snow for Sarala

I write poems (as you know) and song lyrics and I was working on (yes, odd I know!) a horror novel in college. I scared myself and had to stop writing it LOL

I am beginning to consider children's book actually! I'll let you know if something develops.

No prob about not having the books to give examples. Do you recall if it was grammar or sequence? If it was related to that I'll be on the lookout.

Thanks again my friend

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: In defense of Rowling! new
      #240198 - 01/20/06 09:49 AM
lalala

Quote:

I'm sure there are some authors who have it all. And perhaps that makes them GREAT. But if you are looking for a fun read that is deep enough without being too much fluff I LOVE IT! I agree with you there! I think there is as much value in escapism and entertainment as there is literature with "deep meaning."

Sorry Maria...I think your comment just went to my head...about sharing my voice! Maimonides (or Nachmonides, can never remember) says to go to the extreme before you come to a balance. Hope my extreme doesn't last too long. Well, you definitely don't seem extreme to me! But I agree that what you want to aim for is moderation. Sorry if I've said too much! Never!!! You always put a lot of thought behind your words. But I think I know how you feel. Those lovely GAD feelings, maybe?

*Ruchie, STOP TALKING...errr writing* Nooo!! LOL! *Hugs*

Re: Horror novel! new
      #240202 - 01/20/06 09:59 AM
lalala

A horror novel? And you scared yourself? That is both awesome and funny, Ruchie!

Since I can't be specific, I'll say that in general there's too much exposition in Rowling's books. Details can be important, but you could skip paragraphs - even pages - in Harry Potter and it doesn't affect the story one way or another. In addition, her sentence structure is weak, too many prepositions, too many passive verbs. But considering the success of her books and how connected readers feel with the characters and how invested they are in the story arc, maybe I'm the one who has a problem! Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Yes, please tell me if you decide to write a story!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 96523

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review