All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
Thanks Jen,..I'm on the lookout! n-t new
      #240043 - 01/19/06 07:39 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

dead on, Kate new
      #240044 - 01/19/06 07:39 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I do think she has a great imagination, but she made a big mistake when she decided that she was going to be all serious and dramatic and literary. When I think about all of the capital letters squandered in #5 it makes me weep. Her characters are also rather cardboard-ish. I find it interesting how blah Harry himself is. Take a moment to sit down and write down his five most unique characteristics. ... Yeah, I know, me neither.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

YES!!!! That's IT!!!! Jen... new
      #240045 - 01/19/06 07:41 PM
Snow for Sarala

you must read it! I loved it! Read it in high school! I will have to re-read it. We had to write a paper on it. It was delightful (I loved writing papers...weird huh?)

If you read it let me know what you think.

I searched on line for books with chocolate and it never came up! I'm SO thankful you knew or I would have just stayed stumped! Thanks again, you're the best *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Pierce Anthony new
      #240047 - 01/19/06 07:45 PM
Snow for Sarala

Shanara sounds awfully familair...is it a series about a girl who "plays" a boy and gets to fight? Or was that Allana? I'm so bad with names!

What is the "BElgariad" about? Terry Brooks? Mercedes Lackey, Tracy Hickman? New names for me...

And Elizabeth Moon? What did she write? Sounds very familair...

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep track of all this stuff? I've gotten so many new authors/naems of books...I'm having a tough time keeping it all straight.

Thanks Kate! *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

wow, great picks! new
      #240049 - 01/19/06 07:52 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Let me know how you like "Copper". I haven't read it yet but it looks intriguing!

I actually read "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" as an adult -- I never read it as a kid because I thought it sounded sort of treacle-ish, but I was so wrong!! (Well, mostly.) Gotta love the cheesecloth graduation dresses. I always felt so cheated though about the way it ended, though.

Have you really not read the Little House books??? I can't believe any little girl could not read those growing up. I love all of the books -- but my favorite is "The Long Winter". Guess there's something just ultra-heartwarming about a family nearly starving to death in a harsh Dakota winter. I always cry every time Pa realizes he can't play the fiddle because his hands are so stiff and chapped from the cold.

You know what, this is like my all-time favorite thread EVER, but I am thinking that it's probably revealing what a colossal geek I am. Although I guess maybe everyone had kind of guessed that already.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: dead on, Kate new
      #240050 - 01/19/06 07:52 PM
Snow for Sarala

I think the fact that Harry is "boring" makes many people relate to him well.

So many of us wish we could be special. I think that's part of the appeal. He doesn't know he's special living with the Dursleys...but given a chance in a different world...he's special. Many of us feel that way. Like if only the world were different "they" (our parents, teachers, friends...) would see just how special we are. And who deosn't want to have a magical life?

I think many people can relate to it is all I'm saying. Perhaps simple is better? Just taking a stab here.

I'm not quite sure why I like it? But I def like how "normal" Harry is and how annoying Hermoine is and how "uncool" Ron is. I like the trio. And I LOVE her imagination! I think I like this best.

Only halfway through book 2 btw. Perhaps I won't like it as much as the series continues?

Anyway...just my thoughts (trying really hard not to delete this! I'm usually not one to state my opinion esp. if I know others might disagree. Ok Ruchie, just press the "Continue" button....)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: wow, great picks! new
      #240051 - 01/19/06 07:59 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Jen!

If you're a geek...I wanna be just like you! I've always wished I were a fast reader and had a vast vocab...but I have 7 Ld's so I go slow. And my vocab has little to be desired. (For example, what does treacle mean?) Can I "play" you in a book??

Never wanted to read the Little House books. I was tomboy-ish as a kid so I wasn't into "girly" things (being abused made it worse!)and now I am finally getting in touch with my femaninity and I LOVE IT! LOL

I'll let you know what I think of Copper! It def does look intriguiging! I'm thinking of reading it as soon as I finish the 2nd HP book. I'll let you know. I'm hoping to have it finished by Sunday night!

Well...I'd better go READ! Yahoo! (P.S. It's one of my fave threads too...but remember I started so I'm the bigger geek! I win!!!) LOL Love you Jen *hugs* *hugs*

Btw, thanks to you and everyone for being part of this thread! You're making my upcomign surgery less scary and I'm able to focus on it less with my IBS family and collection of books by my side!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

And the mallorean... new
      #240058 - 01/19/06 08:33 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I read all those series last year. I loved them, but I admit that I was ready for a new group of characters afterwards.

If you like those try George R.R. Martin's series (love it!) and also Robin Hobb series---first book is the Assassin's apprentice, and it's a rough start but by the end you'll be hooked and it's 2 trilogies, I couldn't get enough and was sad I finished them.

I haven't read the Xanth series, but I did read the Piers Anthony books about Thanatos, Chronos, etc, those were pretty awesome.

--------------------

Re: Yep, I agree about HP... new
      #240073 - 01/19/06 10:32 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

The book could have used some editing. The writing was a bit clunky.

Re: Ruchie new
      #240077 - 01/19/06 10:40 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

You're right, I think the author has a great imagination.

Don't delete your thoughts and opinions! They're important and it's great to have real discussions here.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 471 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 96532

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review