All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
nerve pain/compression? sheesh... (aka my night in the hospital) ugh.
      #238329 - 01/13/06 02:45 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Nothing is ever simple with me. I am supposed to be getting surgery done on an inguinal hernia on Tuesday. My pain in that general area became so unbearable yesterday that the nurse had me come in to see the on call doctor. I was nauseated from the pain, dizzy, ready to puke on them all. He freaked and said my hernia was NOT strangulated (intestines stuck in there, would have been bad news) and that he could not see how my hernia alone could put a person in that level of pain, he admitted me to the hosptial and ordered a CT scan. I spend the night in the hospital but they found nothing new apart from all the wrong things they already know about me, none of which can explain this recent bout of crazy pain. It is in my left groin area where the hip meets the abdomen, goes down into the labia (lovely) all on left side though, and sometimes shoots straight through the back of my buttocks. My left leg and arm have also been known to go numb. SOOooo they are thinking nerve compression. What on earth do you do about that??? And why out of nowhere, here, all of a sudden? So the plan right now is to go forward with the hernia surgery in case somehow this condition is compressing a nerve or something. Because the timing makes sense, all this started back during our move when my hernia was discovered (due to pain in this area, though not this bad at that time, gotten worse over time).

If anyone has any experience with compressed nerves I'm wide open. I'd love to hear someone say that yah, a hernia made them feel this way and after surgery they felt GREAT! But I don't expect anyone will be able to say that. Back to the internet...

thankfully my mother was able to take the kids to their place a few days, but I miss them already

OH - and as a side note - REGLAN is nasty stuff!!! They gave it to me IV to prevent the pain meds from making me nauseated. It made me CRAZY!!!!!!!!! My legs/body wouldn't stop moving and I had this uncontrollable urge to rip all the IV'S out of my body and go leap out the window. Sure it's okay for a lot of folks but not for me.

as if this isn't long enough, my husband said the sweetest thing to me as I lay there waiting for the scan - he said, "You know what, you were going to have to go through all this stuff in your lifetime, regardless... I'm so glad I get to be your husband and go through it with you". who SAYS that???? and means it!!! We have had our share of rocky road along our 15 years but he sure takes good care of me, I am thankful.

this is a novel... sorry... can you tell kids aren't here? thanks...

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Edited by ecmmbm (01/13/06 03:40 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: nerve pain/compression? sheesh... (aka my night in the hospital) ugh. new
      #238345 - 01/13/06 03:36 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Gee, that's too bad. I don't know much about your problem though.
They gave me reglin for the nausea I had and it worked great. I even asked for more later that night. I guesds our bodies all respond differently.
Hope all works out well for you.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Ugh, Michelle...... new
      #238364 - 01/13/06 04:38 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Sorry about your painful experience. I don't know anything about nerve compression but it doesn't sound like fun.

WOW, your hubby is so sweet....he's a keeper!

Good luck getting better.

Barbie

--------------------

Awwwww new
      #238383 - 01/13/06 05:51 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

What a sweet thing for Eric to say! It just makes you want to keep him just a little longer doesn't it?

My husband and I will celebrate our 20th anniversary tomorrow. I don't feel old enough to be married that long! Years 10 thru 15 were some kind of awful and only by God's grace did we make it.

I am so sorry that you are going through all of this nonsense. It's got to be so frustrating! You know that you are in my prayers!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Feel better soon, Michelle! new
      #238447 - 01/14/06 07:58 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I'm so sorry to hear you are hurting so badly!!! Nerve damage is the pits! I hope the surgery helps. Hang in there and TAKE IT EASY!!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

poor Michelle! (hernia surgery info) new
      #238465 - 01/14/06 09:44 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Michelle, that SUCKS!! I am so sorry to hear that. I didn't have any of that with my hernia.

My hernia repair was yesterday. It was a piece of cake compared to my laparoscopy. They gave me a bunch of shots around the incision area, so I felt pretty good yesterday. Today the shots have worn off and I woke up in a ton of pain. They have me on two Percocet every four hours but it only really lasts for a couple of hours. I plan on going back to work Tuesday, though, and I'm pretty sure I will be OK to do so.

They didn't warn me about this beforehand, but I had to be on a liquid diet after the surgery. So make sure you have soup and jell-O and whatnot. It's just for that day -- I'm eating solid food again today. I ate three bowls of chock-full-of-dairy mint chocolate chip ice cream -- ssshhh, don't tell. it didn't bother me, but with all this Percocet, I could probably eat three whole pizzas with no problem.

Anyway, the big thing for me is going to be resting, so make sure you've got someone else lined up to watch your kids. you don't have to ship them away (unless you want to), but definitely you need another adult around. your husband sounds great so hopefully he'll be around. Mine is also very good about taking care of me.

Hopefully you will feel better after your surgery!! I'll be thinking of you, let us know how it goes.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Ahhhh, Michelle new
      #238530 - 01/14/06 02:30 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I missed this post yesterday. I didn't realize when I emailed you that you had been in the hospital and in so much pain! I wondered where your kids were when you said you and Eric had some time alone.

I'm surprised your doctor doesn't want to do a nerve conduction test before they do surgery. That is what my doctor (a physiatrist---not a psychiatrist!) did on me when I was having that tremendous pain in my lower back that radiated down my buttocks into my leg. He was afraid that I had nerve damage, but it turned out that I didn't. But they can do a simple test in the office to check this. Let me know if you'd like more info or his name. He is the BEST doctor I've ever been to. Very thorough and level-headed and determined to figure out what is wrong with his patients. He treats patients with all kinds of ailments.

As for your husband, would you lend him to me? I can't say that mine has the understand and compassion that yours does.
You are one very lucky woman!!!

Hope you get some relief from the pain soon.

Happy 20th anniversary, Rachel! What are you doing to celebrate? **** new
      #238531 - 01/14/06 02:32 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

email me that dr's name, in case this hernia surgery doesn't do it new
      #238559 - 01/14/06 04:51 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

The hernia has to be fixed, regardless, or it could suddenly become dangerous without warning - and I do think it is responsible for some of my pain, sudden onset like this. But some of it also does feel more like a nerve issue... thanks.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#238572 - 01/14/06 06:31 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Have you thought about a chiropractor? Some people don't like them, but mine is a Godsend for me. I've had a pinched nerve about 3 times (same place every time in my back). I use a cold pack and muscle relaxants and then, even though it's a no no; I use my husband's pain pills. But, the thing that works the best is my chiropractor. I love that guy!!!! He does spinal manipulation, and it truly works wonders. Hope you're doing better very soon and good luck with your surgery, too.

#238629 - 01/15/06 07:36 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Is it hurting near your pelvis? I know you mentioned incontenece a while back (I have it too ) and I found out I hav something called Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. Your pelvis can spasm out of nowhere and it feels like someone is punching you and stabbing you and it is SOOOO painful! I'm wondering has this happened before? Did you see a urologist for the incontenence?

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO sorry you are goin through so much Michelle!!! *hugs* Sending you tons of love, hugs, more love, and prayers!!

I love you!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Oh, Poor you! new
      #238630 - 01/15/06 07:36 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Don't you just hate hospitals...and pain!

Sorry you had to go through this, Michelle. I don't know anything about the compressed nerve, but hopefully when you have your surgery for your hernia, that will take care of the nerve pain.

I agree...Reglan is horrid! I tried taking that once and had the same reaction as you.

On a positive note, may I say your husband is a sweetheart. And you can tell, it came straight from his heart.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#238796 - 01/16/06 06:03 AM
tc2004

Reged: 05/26/04
Loc: Texas

Sounds very much like your sciatia(spelling) nerve is pinched. Most of the pain from usually goes from your butt down your leg
and grabs a hold of you and does not let go.If you can use ibroprofen try that and a heating pad sometimes helps. I can also make your feet, hands numb.I know as hard as this may be but if you can walk around alot that may help as well.
Good Luck
Terry

#238814 - 01/16/06 07:22 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm sorry Michelle, that sounds very painful. I don't have any personal experience with anything like this so I'm afraid I have no advice. However, I do second the person who mentioned the chiropractor! It may not solve your problem but it sure makes me feel better! Good luck with your surgery tomorrow!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

BL new
      #238920 - 01/16/06 12:31 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

Thank you for the good wishes!

My husband and I went out for a nice dinner at our favorite restaurant that we can't afford to eat at often! Then we went to Starbucks for coffee...

The kids were at my friends house for the evening, it was nice to come home and have the house to ourselves...none of the "take your bath", get clothes ready for church and all that stuff.

We are planning a trip to San Francisco...Hawaii...or some place in the summer. We are waiting for good weather months!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Does anyone know... new
      #239357 - 01/18/06 07:47 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How long you have to be in the hospital after hernia surgery? I pray Michelle's surgery went well and that we will hear from her soon.

Thinking of you Michelle.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1893

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review