All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
First Pregnancy Doc appt!!
      #237283 - 01/10/06 02:23 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

So he did a pregnancy test (positive), a culture for chlamydia and gonnorhea (NEGATIVE FOR SURE!!!), a pelvic exam, tested my urine for protein and sugar, gave me a scrip for prenatal vitamins, and some samples, and I have to get a blood test Friday to test for a bunch of things. He told me not to gain more than 20lbs. That's it?? I hope i can keep to that!!

And he said my tentative due date is Sept. 12---which is my husband's birthday!! Kind of cool. I go back in 4 weeks. Now I just need to decide how long to wait before I tell people. It's SO HARD!!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: First Pregnancy Doc appt!! new
      #237285 - 01/10/06 02:27 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

That's great news Ginger! Congrats to you and hubby! What a wonderful birthday present for your hubby. It is so hard to wait to tell people. I debated for a long time with Noah and told our parents at 6 1/2 weeks and everyone else at 8 weeks. But it does seem like a long time to wait.

Just 20 pounds??????????????? new
      #237288 - 01/10/06 02:31 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

Ya know in the old days I swear there was no limit! Maybe that is why God chose us to adopt. I can gain 20 pounds just by looking at pie!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

I agree with Rachel new
      #237290 - 01/10/06 02:33 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

that baby and all that fluid surrounding him/her will weigh at least 20 lbs. Phooey on the doctor (must be a man!) I say eat what you want, and enjoy yourself!

#237291 - 01/10/06 02:33 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Sounds like a GREAT first appt! They will draw a TON of blood at your next visit to test for a whole boat load of stuff, its all routine though so no worries! Twenty pounds is on the low side, especially is you are thin to begin with. I think between 25-30 is average! Heck, I gain 10 pounds in the 12.5 weeks I was pg with my twins!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Keep us posted! new
      #237299 - 01/10/06 02:54 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

Re: I agree with Rachel new
      #237341 - 01/10/06 04:20 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I agree. If you add up the extra fluids, blood, placenta, baby, and all that stuff, you're talking a MINIMUM of 20 lbs. That's just the baby stuff, not any added bulk on you!
The 20 lbs thing is very old school. 30 - 40 is much more realistic.
Still, we all do what we can, but don't worry.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

How exciting! new
      #237346 - 01/10/06 04:23 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey!
How exciting, what fun!
I was surprised when I read 20 lbs too. I have heard of lots of people gaining over 30 lbs. I'm not really a pregnancy expert or anything, but I know I could easily gain 20 lbs without any baby in my belly, hee hee!

Anyway, definitely keep us posted. I would love to be able to keep something like that quiet for a little while, but I'm pretty sure I would have told every person I ran into by now about a baby.. just 'cause I can't keep ANYTHING to myself, hee hee.

**hugs**
Very happy for you!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: I agree with Rachel new
      #237348 - 01/10/06 04:24 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Yep, that's insane! That's the last thing you should worry about when you are pregnant. Eat healthy and good and who cares what you gain. It comes off eventually anyway. Especially your first. Now don't go gaining 70 or 80lbs. Yep, had a friend who gained 70. She's as skinny as a rail now but still.....that can't be good. I say between 30 and 40 is norm these days! You look like a tall person. YOur body can handle it no problem!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#237357 - 01/10/06 04:34 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

congrats sweetie!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Super congrats!!!!! new
      #237391 - 01/10/06 06:03 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

But Puhhhleeeaasseee......20 pounds?????? I gained 45 with my first3 and 60 with my last. With the first 3 I was constantly beat on by my DR about my weight gain, With my 4th, she could have cared less and never said a word. with all pregancies I had different DRs too. I happen to gain wight very easy and retain water like crazy. All of my births were normal and I eventually lost all the weight. I say, do what you want(within reason) and ENJOY being pregnant. If your DR is like that all the time, than I say change DRs, if you aren't too attached to him. It's really no different than trying to find a decent DR to help deal with our IBS...:)

Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

well.... new
      #237392 - 01/10/06 06:05 PM
epa_ginger

I don't plan to really "watch" my weight, so I'm sure I'll be fine. And in all other respects he's reasonable. And he really didn't say DON'T DO IT, he said try. Plus---he was my mom's doctor when all of us were born, which means he delivered me 29 years ago, and I think that's pretty cool! But I'm definitely not going to hold myself to any unrealistic expectations.

--------------------

Luckily.... new
      #237393 - 01/10/06 06:06 PM
epa_ginger

I have this board to share with! Otherwise I'd definitely go out of my mind!! Plus, I told one of my closest friends who lives in Phoenix, and she's also my husband's cousin and they have always been close. So I've been sharing with her too.
Today, I was tired, queasy for an hour this morning..and my boobs hurt!!

--------------------

Yep... new
      #237394 - 01/10/06 06:08 PM
epa_ginger

I'm just going to try and eat healthy, but not restrict myself. I eat healthy anyway, and I just won't overdo it...at least, no more than I normally would!
I'm not really tall, only 5'4" but I guess I take that as a compliment. I've never weighed more than I do now (122), so I'm kind of nervous, but not really. Actually, this will be the first summer since puberty where I won't feel the slightest bit self conscious in a swimsuit! I can't WAIT. I wear one often as we go up many weekends to my husband's family's cottage in the summer. No sucking in my stomach this year!!!

--------------------

Oh good.... new
      #237398 - 01/10/06 06:33 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

That's cool too. I'm glad you at least know him and are comfortable with him. It also means he's probably just old school and that's the way it was back then. My first delivery, almost 22 years abo, was by the dr that had delivered my sister and brother.I'm glad you didn't take it to much to heart. Sorry if I came off too harsh. Having dealt with eating disorders for the past almost 22 years(yes, I believe there is a conection)I get a little sensitive when I hear Drs talk like this. I just want others to know it's OK.

Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

#237430 - 01/10/06 08:26 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I'm glad to hear everything went well! Yay for you and hubby!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Good news! new
      #237526 - 01/11/06 08:12 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Enjoy this! As to telling folks, I'd wait until after my second visit. By then, you'll know if things are going smoothly. Just my two cents.

I LOVED being pregnant!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Yay! Congrats!! :) -nt- new
      #237532 - 01/11/06 08:18 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

--------------------
~Cara~

#237548 - 01/11/06 08:54 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

what the heck? no more tan 20? your not over weight, so why did he say that? if you go to babycenter.com they have a weight gain o momitor thing or whatever, and it calculates how much weight you should gain. mine was 36-40, which is way alot....and too much i think..but i've gained 10 pounds in 5 months. which is around the right amount. but 20 is sorta low...anyway...don't stress too much, we are limited in what we can eat anyway...so you've already got that...

congratulations though!! keep us updated!! btw i gained 50 with my daughter.not planing on doing that this time....but just so you know...lol..most people gain more with their first i'd guess...most women i've met anyway..

That's the plan right now. Next visit-4 wks. Can I wait?!? We'll see.-nt new
      #237560 - 01/11/06 09:07 AM
epa_ginger

--------------------

lol! new
      #237565 - 01/11/06 09:15 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

That's what I've heard pretty much too Lyndsey - people gain the most weight with the first one.

I gained 60 pounds!!!!! And I definatley wasn't underweight to begin with.
But for the record - I lost 43 pounds in a week and a half after I delivered - so 43 pounds was mainly baby/placenta/water weight! I was very swollen by the end. I still have 17 pounds to go...kinda stuck. Hoping I can start working out next week!

--------------------
~Cara~

weight gain! new
      #237567 - 01/11/06 09:16 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Well I weighed 104 with my first and gained 50 lbs. 115 with my second and gained 50lbs. And I was 108 with my last and gained 35. I lost all the weight with all of them and in fact was even smaller than when I started. So PLEASE don't worry about weight gain. It just happens. I know I could have done much better with my first two! I ate a bit to many sweets!! With my last I just ate better and was more active! I looked good with my last too!! So I would just eat right and stay active! And don't worry about the numbers!!! My baby will be 6 mo on the 19th and I have lost all the weight!!!!!

Congrats! I'm very happy for you! And you must visit babycenter they are wonderful. You can get weekley emails on your pregnancy and you can have a daily calander as well. I loved that place. Oh, and they also have birth clubs. Those are msg boards with PG women due the same month as you!

Enjoy this special time!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 457 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1941

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review