All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I have my first assigment
      #23709 - 10/17/03 10:00 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

for this weekly news/magazine published for residents in the south part of Charlotte!!! I took some samples of my work by to the editor, and emailed her with several ideas, and I can't believe it , but I'm now working on the cover story for the Halloween issue. Yikes! Good think I received my peppermint tummy tea and hot pads yesterday because my tummy is in knots.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I have my first assigment new
      #23710 - 10/17/03 10:07 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Congratulations!! That's great! I'd love to get some of my poetry published someday. How did you get your foot in the door? what kind of story are you going to do?

#23716 - 10/17/03 10:50 AM
BL

I just emailed the editor and told her a little about myself. She asked to see samples of my work. I took some by her office, and I guess I passed that first test, because before I knew it, she was emailing me and asking if I had any story ideas. (I have a degree in journalism and have worked for newspapers and in public relations departments.)
You are going to laugh, but I am doing a story on spiders for the Halloween issue. For some reasons (I suspect the heavy rains we've had this year) have caused us to have these huge spider webs all over our yards and inside our houses. Everyone in town is talking about them, and joking that we don't need to decorate for Halloween. One neighbor went out to get her newspaper and there was a spider web wrapped across her entire front doorway!!! I have put in calls to the local county extension agent and the head of entomology at NC State. If I would just hear back from them today, I'd be happy.
Also, I have a great idea for a Thanksgiving story (a student at the local high school who missed a year of school while she battled cancer. She is now cancer-free and has been accepted to a university where she will study nursing.) Her mom just gave me the ok to interview and photograph them for a story on blessings!
This freelancing may not pay much, but I love doing this kind of thing. I love having a deadline and working under pressure. (I know, I'm weird!)
What kind of poetry do you write? Have you had any published? You just have to be persistent to find a market for it!

Re: Congratulations Beaglelover! -nt- new
      #23717 - 10/17/03 11:02 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

--------------------
- Jennifer

Congrats Beaglelover! --nt-- new
      #23720 - 10/17/03 11:27 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#23726 - 10/17/03 11:41 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

That sounds exciting and fun. I'm not sure what kind of poetry I write. It all ryhmes (sp?). Some serious, some funny. I never used to write, but after my grandmother passed away 4 years ago, it just came easy to me. Have written a lot of poems for my husband and family and have been designing a custom x-mas card now for the past 4 years for a local hotel and convention center. The owner likes my photographs and poetry so much that he contacts me every year to do their x-mas card...even though I no longer do freelance design from my home. He says he hopes I'll continue to do their x-mas card. I used to do other things for him until I gave up freelance designing.

I would like to put a book together of photographs, family recipes and poetry of mine and my grandmother's.

Re: Congrats Beaglelover! --nt-- new
      #23901 - 10/19/03 02:58 PM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

--------------------
Morven

Thanks! I am having fun already! ---nt--- new
      #23918 - 10/19/03 06:32 PM
BL

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 465 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1185

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review