All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Saw the internist today
      #235891 - 01/05/06 08:45 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I must say I have a wonderful dr! She is so kind and caring. She cried with me as I told her about the twins and spent a whole hour with me. She decided to keep me on the zoloft and xanax and ambien. She suggested I call the rheumy dr back today and see if I can get in before my scheduled appt next month. She says that sometimes they will treat chronic inflammation (tendinitis, bursitis, iritis and joint pain in my case) with I can't remember if she said plaquenil or plavix. I can't take anti-inflammatory drugs because they aggravate my tummy something awful and I refuse to take any more steroids (other the the eye drops I'm on) because of the weight gain. She said she didn't feel comfortable giving that medication to me because it a few people it can cause some serious side effects with the eyes and liver and it requires a lot of monitoring. So, I will go back to my rheumy and see what he says and she suggested that if he doesn't do anything else for me than I should go to the University of Michigan. She agreed that we need to get all this inflammation under control and that it could be causing my miscarriages also. She said I've been seeing the best dr's, the RE, the rheumy dr and the high risk obgyn. In fact, she was suprised that I could even get in to see Dr. Lorenze, the high risk obgyn because people from all over, even other states come to see him and he is very selective on who he takes. So, I know I've been seeing the best dr's but its also frustrating that no one seems to be able to give me answers. Not with the miscarriages and not with all my "body pains," other than fibro, which is kind of like IBS-there isn't a definitive test for it and there isn't a lot of treatment for it.

At least she was nice and sympathetic and LISTENED to me. I got the refills I needed and at least a place to start. I see Dr. Lorenze (high risk obgyn) next Wed for a follow up after my surgery and I know he plans on running some additional blood tests. I will also ask him if he has any recommendations on who to see about the miscarriages. I don't think its worth my time to go back to my old RE (reproductive endocrinologist) because she already did all she thought she could do for me. Right now, I think its more important to get ME healthy again but I just can't help but to think that all my other problems aren't related somehow to all the miscarriages.

I see my shrink tonight and hopefully she will help me figure out the right path from here. I'm sure my depression and sadness over the loss of my babies is making things worse but I'm tired of hurting, both physically and mentally. My wrists hurt so bad today, I can hardly type. Ok, deep breath, one day at a time. Acceptance. Hug Harley and feel better!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Saw the internist today new
      #235932 - 01/05/06 09:51 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I am SOOO glad you posted this *hugs*

I'm happy you have such great docs....caring and concerned and SMART

I'm happy you have Harley.

I'm happy you're my friend!!

Keep posting and giving us updates about the goings-on and the clues to your wellness

I love you!!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#235936 - 01/05/06 09:57 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I'm so glad your internist is caring, I think that's a huge thing that more doctors need to be aware of. Not only do we need their medical help, but we need their compassion too. And you deserve that, especially.
You're right that the most important thing is to get yourself healthy, and I'm glad you're so proactive in that regard. I know you are still depressed, but you are not letting it keep you from moving on, and that's a big deal. You're a survivor, you know that, right?

--------------------

#235963 - 01/05/06 10:39 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Thanks for this update! You are so brave and patient to keep us all informed like you do! It sounds like you are seeing some super physicians and that is awesome! Just know you continue in our thoughts and prayers and that we rejoice/cry and whatever else you need...right beside you! Sounds like Harley is good medicine! He sure is a cutie!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#235985 - 01/05/06 11:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey Michele

I really recommend you check out BYDLS...alot of the girls on there are on or have been on Plaquenil (sp?). I know they have regular eye tests to check they're still okay.

Thinking of the future, I'd really try and get your weight under control (have you considered a hypoglycaemic diet? It helps the Fibro too) so that steroids are an option. You may well really need them somewhere down the line.

Has anyone suggested Elavil? It's practically the no.1 Fibro drug. And acetamenophin works amazingly well at taking the edge off the pain if you take it regularly....I've found my codeine on it's own does less for my pain than the acetamenophin on it's own!

And a magnesium malate/manganese supplement should help.

Email me if you have any questions!

Re: Thanks Ruchie new
      #235991 - 01/05/06 12:41 PM
michele

I hope your feeling better soon too!! Gentle hugs!

--------------------

Re: Thanks Linz new
      #235992 - 01/05/06 12:47 PM
michele

I'm still trying to figure out how the bydls site works! Its a little confusing to me but than again, my mind hasn't been real sharp lately! I've been googling plaquenil and the side effects sound pretty nasty and it seems to take a LONG time to really work. I guess though I'm to the point that I'll try about anything.

I am trying to work on my weight. I think its more about me exercising than changing my diet. I was on restricted activities for the 3 months while pregnant and I'm REALLY out of shape. I just hurt so bad all over, I just can't bear the thought of working out. I know I'll probably feel better once I do start working out again and I'm going to slowly start at it. I've been running around a bit more with Harley and I'm planning some MAJOR house cleaning and will get my exercise room cleaned out so I can actually exercise in it again!

--------------------

Re: Thanks Bamagirl new
      #235994 - 01/05/06 01:01 PM
michele

I must admitt though, I don't feel so brave. I'm pretty overwhelmed with all the medical stuff right now. I know I need to focus on MY health first but I won't be able to even try to get pregnant on a lot of the drugs they are talking about giving me and the thought of going on birth control when I want a baby so made is just crazy. I just get so angry with my body sometimes. Ok, I need to remember my "acceptance".......hug Harley again.....take a deep breath....put on the big girl panties as bevrs would say and do what I need to do to get healthy THAN worry about babies. Hmmm, looks good in writing, if only my heart would believe it!

--------------------

Re: Thanks Bamagirl new
      #236000 - 01/05/06 01:22 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I'm proud of you! I know none of us can truly realize all that you are facing! I hope you are soon feeling healthy and pain free. Perhaps feeling physically better will enable your heart to heal too. Just know that there are a LOT of folks talking to God about Michelle and her babies!! He's listening!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Thanks epa ginger! new
      #236001 - 01/05/06 01:25 PM
michele

I don't know what I would have done without all you guys and the ability to come here and vent! Thanks for all the continued support! I am really lucky to have some good dr's!

--------------------

#236010 - 01/05/06 01:33 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Sounds pretty good Michele. A NEW YEAR for you and a brand new BEGINNING.

Enjoy sweetie!

Re: Magnesium Question new
      #236022 - 01/05/06 01:48 PM
michele

I need to stop at the pharmacy and pick up some refills tonight, what do I look for in a magnesium supplement and how much do I take a day?

--------------------

I'm not Linz... new
      #236029 - 01/05/06 02:00 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

but my fibro meds have 300 mg of magnesium and 1200 mg of malic acid per day. Try and find something with both in them, as the malic acid is also helpful. Balance with calcium, if you need to, as I ended up with D from the magnesium in my fibro pills when I first started taking them!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: Thanks Linz new
      #236034 - 01/05/06 02:04 PM
Linz

I take Country Life's Malic Relief formula ....it's designed with Fibro-type problems in mind and is GREAT!

Take it easy with the exercise...overdoing it could land you with a Fibro flare. Maybe stick to swimming (& aquacize?) and yoga. And a dog walk everyday will def. help.

Plaquenil new
      #236037 - 01/05/06 02:17 PM
Linz

Here is Medicinenet's page on Plaquenil. It doesn't sound too bad...the main side effect in the eye can apparently be detected before it becomes a problem if you have regular checks...and that shouldn't be a problem for you, should it?

I've asked on BYDLS about it and will let you know when there are replies.

If you've registered on there, start by posting (click on "new topic" to get a new thread) in the New Members - Say Hello forum.

#236087 - 01/05/06 06:02 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Michele, you are really blessed to have such a wonderful doctor. That is great that she has such compassion and is willing to spend so much time with you. I know you are anxious to see the high risk ob/gyn too. I hope you get some answers soon.

I just wanted to say that I am so proud of you for the strength and courage you have to take it one day at a time. I know you are still hurting, but you seem to be doing so well. Give Harley big hugs for me! He's a doll!

#236099 - 01/05/06 06:22 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Michele,

You sound really upbeat dispite all the crazy things going on. I feel relieved for you that at least you have the best help out there. Do not give up, your life means so much to so many of us here.

Love Shannon

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Plaquenil new
      #236136 - 01/06/06 01:54 AM
Linz

Here are some threads on Plaquenil from BYDLS...

Old thread

New thread

Old thread

Hope that helps some.

Re: I'm not Linz... new
      #236342 - 01/06/06 01:46 PM
michele

I'll have to look for some more supplements than. I checked my prenatals that I'm still taking and they only have 30mg of magnesium! I tend to be C anyways so I doubt the extra mad will give me D!

--------------------

Re: Plaquenil new
      #236346 - 01/06/06 01:59 PM
michele

Wow, thanks Linz!! That did help! I have always been awful in the sun, I burn terribly if I'm not super careful and I never knew why as I'm not that fare! I didn't realize that the sun sensativity was related to all this other crap!

I haven't had a chance to talk with the eye dr I work for as we have been busy today. He is just an optometrist and not an opthlamologist but he can probably at least be able to tell if something started to go wonky.

I sat down to register before I left work yesterday, than I got busy and had my appt with my shrink so had to leave. I've been swamped at work today but I did read the links you posted for me and I'm going to register on Monday! Thanks so much for all your help with this!!!! Gotta run, boss is coming!!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 267 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1834

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review