All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
panic du jour
      #235793 - 01/04/06 08:26 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Oh man, I'm afraid you'll get sick of my posts all on this topic! So with apologies to those who don't want to know the inner workings of my panic attacking brain, I'm freaking out AGAIN! Its been so often lately. I got a flu shot today - the 4th year in a row that I've gotten one. Last year I felt nothing, the year before I got a low fever like 99, the year before that nothing. I was feeling fine until about 1/2 hour ago when my stomach started to cramp and I got terrified that I'd throw up. You know, I'm not sure writing this all out helps me though. I start to act out my panic even more as I talk about it. I don't know because sometimes I feel better afterwards. I guess it helps, but I need to find a long term non-drug solution. Maybe I should start smoking pot and mellow out a little! I've done the hypno cds twice already....

SO this time I was lying in bed and got convinced that I'll get sick from the shot or that I'm coming down wiht the thing our babysitter had, which she described to me in graphic detail - I'll spare you!. That's actually what prompted me to go and get the shot, i'd been putting off this year.
Anyway I have to face this, i'm going to be around a lot of stomach upsets now that I have a kid, and I REALLY don't want to pass this attitude down to her. How to change though when a bit of nausea makes me want to run right out of my skin!?? (In fact the first time I had a panic attack - 4 years ago, I literally tried to do that! I just started running with no idea of how that might help - I guess I was trying to outrun the nausea! )

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: panic du jour new
      #235803 - 01/04/06 08:57 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Sometimes when I'm worrying about something, I have to step back and try to reason out my fears. But it usually helps if I have someone to talk it over with. So, don't worry about posting too much!

I don't know if this will help, but a flu shot shouldn't affect your GI tract. Neither should the flu since it's a respiratory infection.

I know what you mean about stomach upsets and such - I worry about this a lot too. But if you wash your hands frequently, don't touch your hand to mouth, and use an antibacterial gel (preferably an alcohol-based one), you shouldn't have to worry about getting sick. I guess it's like pink-eye: you see kids get it, but you don't really see a lot of adults with it because we're not always touching our eyes or forgetting to wash our hands.

Keep us updated on how you're doing. Maybe some hot tea or a hot shower will help you relax a little.

Take care!

Re: I should also add... new
      #235804 - 01/04/06 09:04 PM
lalala

that I suffer from panic attacks and GAD. I'm currently on medication for it, after years of trying to deal with it myself. I used to do the running thing too during a panic attack, but that just seemed to work me up even more. I thought I was the only one who did that!

Re: running new
      #235805 - 01/04/06 09:18 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I haven't done it since that first time - crazy! But I still get the urge. I definitely find that allowing myself to express the panic outloud to my wife often makes it worse- i get more worked up and she gets worried about me and I get worried shes judging me, seeing me as weak or crazy... Thats why I'm posting more often here... Can I ask what meds youre on?

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Re: running new
      #235809 - 01/04/06 09:31 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Have you tried prayer and meditation to help ease some anxiety? Exercise sometimes helps too.

If your looking for something in a bottle, have you tried Valerian? It's a plant used in natural medicine.

#235844 - 01/05/06 06:41 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I had a flu shot and was just fine, if that helps relieve some of your panic. And I react to everything usually!

Running is your bodies way of releasing the adrenaline that builds up when you are in the panic "fight or flight" mode. You want to "flight"!

I have a huge anxiety disorder, plus OCD. I take Klonopin and valererian and when I remember, Rescue Remedy. Unfortunately, they don't seem to help much at all. I also take prozac, which my doc says can be used to help anxiety and OCD...but I don't think I'm on a high enough dose for it to help.

I'm sorry, and disappointed, to hear the Hypno tapes didn't work. I was sort of counting on them to work as my "last resort" since nothing else has helped yet. Marilyn had to to them 3 times, so maybe try them again. It can't hurt, right?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#235887 - 01/05/06 08:37 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Dan...you MUST continue to post here if it helps. I insist, ok!!

I have MAJOR anxiety. MAJOR. And panic. OCD, and bipolar as well.

I tried to do it without meds. I tried things naturally. No go. (In fact...be careful! Certain herbs can actually make things worse. Feel free to post questions re. the different herbs out there...like melatonin, valerian, etc.)

For the 1st time in my LIFE I am beginning to have a healthy attitude towards things most people don't even have to think about. And I owe it to therapy and meds (and the folks on the boards for encouraging me to seek help!)

I used to worry hubby was judging me. I used to worry that I was going to die. SO many worries...I can't begin to list them all! Through a GREAT therapist and taking my meds...I am slowly getting better at this.

I don't know if meds/therapy is the answer for you. But please keep in mind a)this is not your fault b)this is a chemical imbalance in your brain (it is a MEDICAL issue...NOT emotional) c)it doesn't have to be this way. You can feel better!

Perhaps you should seek the counsel of a psychiatrist (if you are already seeing one...I think you said you are? maybe get a 2nd and 3rd opinion?)

We all care about you and want what is best for you and for you to feel your optimum! So please always post here and remember we are your IBS fam! Ok?

Looking forward to hearing how you are today....

P.S. Sorry to come on so strong...I just truly care and I want everyone to feel better who is dealing with such issues. No one should have to suffer!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#235892 - 01/05/06 08:47 AM
ebrbetty

Reged: 03/31/05

I get terrible pain attacks and have PTS, have you tried xanax,it helps me
try and relax lol easier said than done..I know!

#235903 - 01/05/06 08:59 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I've been through a LOT lately and it does help me to write it out here because, like you, if I vent to my spouse too much I feel that I'm stressing them too much or that they will get tired of me being "sick" all the time, etc! Post all you need to, if it helps you-it does me!

I have suffered panic attacks on and off in my life, I have depression and LOTS of anxiety. I stay on a low dose of anti-depressants and I use Xanax for the anxiety. Unlike ad's, Xanax can be taken just as needed. I sometimes go many months without them at all, sometimes I take them daily, 2 or 3 times a day for months. Depends on whats going on in my life and how I'm feeling. You may benefit from Xanax or something similar when you get these feelings as it works pretty fast, 15-20 minutes. I've also been seeing a shrink now for about 2 years and thats help me a great deal.

I've gotten he flu shot the last 2 years and I've never had stomach upset from it. Maybe a day of achy, tired kind of thin but nothing serious. I now also carry Purell in my purse and have a pump bottle on my desk. If someone comes into my office coughing or sneezing, I don't hesitate to hand them the purell and ask them to us it! I'd rather seem a little rude than get sick!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Medications new
      #235912 - 01/05/06 09:17 AM
lalala

After about ten years of trying to deal with it on my own, I've been on Buspar since February, which is for anxiety and not panic attacks. I do have a prescription for lorazepam, for panic attacks, but I try to use it only as needed. It can also be prescribed for those really bad IBS attacks.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 425 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1157

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review