All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
New Year's Resolutions Everyone?
      #234650 - 12/30/05 01:35 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Happy (Almost!) New Years Everyone!!

In that spirit, just wondering what everyone's resolutions are this year?
I have never been big on these 'cause I am so scared I'll break it, but I would like to try to make one this that I can KEEP.

Just thought some people might like the share theirs!

Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'm not normally a "resolutions" kind of person... new
      #234653 - 12/30/05 01:42 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...because I think that this time of year (the worst of winter) is HORRIBLE for making promises to yourself.

But I have one this year. I really have to go back to eating well, exercising, and STICKING WITH IT. I'm now 40lbs overweight and that's gotta stop... but it's not just that, I'm also very conscious now of the health problems that run in my family, and I'm hoping to avoid some of those later by making healthy changes now.

I think I'm going to be off to a good start. I'm refusing to let myself start until January 2 (Monday), and I've eaten so much crap food the past month that I CAN'T WAIT to eat healthier again.

NO SMOKING for me! new
      #234656 - 12/30/05 01:47 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Holy cow! I have abstained from the habit of smoking cigarettes for 4 WEEKS, today. I plan to make 2006 smoke-free. NO, I will just "make it so" (sorry, I had to borrow a Jean Luc Picard-ism from STAR TREK: TNG to indoctorinate/reprogram my mindset).

The game plan? I am successfully using Nicoderm Patches at the moment. Intend to do laser accupuncture WITH follow up sessions versus falling prey to hubris. The laser treatment

worked, but I didn't go for tune-ups every few months to keep that qi flowing.

I had one of those moment of ultimate truths, today. I am no longer addicted to the habit of smoking cigarettes. I am still addicted to Nicotene. It's a powerful drug. So, I guess, I've broken the habit of orally using nicotene. Now, I'm using it dermally.

Warped, huh? Such is addiction.

Kate.

I prefer setting goals to making resolutions... new
      #234659 - 12/30/05 02:10 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Something about the phrasing helps some...

Back in November, I set a goal to gain 10 lbs by my birthday (Feb 8), not sure if that's going to happen though.

My "New Year's" goal is to organize my desk and start using it. When we moved back in August, Mac and I set ourselves up an office with a desk for each of us. However, he uses his, while I tend to do work on the kitchen table, the couch in the living room, our bed....you get the idea, anywhere by my desk.

On the note of resolutions, I got this great email from CIcoach.com, it's a woman who coaches people with chronic illnesses and dealing with the workplace. Here's her resolutions which I think are well-phrased and well thought out:
Quote:

In the year 2006

1. I will not limit what I do because of fear of pain or more illness. I will take more risks and stretch my body 's limits and my soul because that will help me feel good.

2. I will not, however, ignore my aching self during the day and just keep pushing. I will remind myself that it's not just important, it is critical to take more breaks at the computer, walk early, mid and late in the day, and do my physical therapy exercises as prescribed.

3. I will not use fatigue and pain as an excuse to be crabby with others. I will recognize that I'm really only angry at me for letting myself get to the point where I feel so badly.

4. I will not wait until I'm desperate to ask for help just because my illness is getting in the way again. I will ask for what I need WHEN I need it.

5. I will not become sad or frustrated by how bad it feels when I am sick, tired or in pain. I will work harder and smarter at what it takes to make me feel good.

6. I will not resent others who seem to complain about the small stuff, especially when it's a health problem. I will do a better job of reminding myself that life really is a relative experience.

7. I will not become angry with the people whom I love when they don't notice that I'm not feeling "well". I will share what I need to share and remember that others can't really walk in my shoes.

8. I will meditate each day, even for only 10 minutes, because it will make me a more joyful and calmer person.

9. I will not tense with fear when I see that I'm on a path where there is only black ice on the ground. I will practice staying aware so I don't fall flat on my face.

10. And, finally, I will not forget to give myself a pat on the back at the end of each day. I will remember that if I am not my own best coach and cheerleader, who will be?

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: New Year's Resolutions Everyone? new
      #234660 - 12/30/05 02:15 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I really suck at making resolutions. In fact, in my entire life I can't recall ever actually making one.

This year, my resolution is to lose weight (a popular one I'm sure!). I am at least 15 pounds heavier than I am at my ideal weight where everyone thought I was skinny and beautiful. Nevermind the fact, I spent the entire day yesterday with my cousin and my sister who are both size fours (I used to be until this year as well), listening to my aunt and other cousin marvel about how skinny those two are, and how good they look, and how me, my aunt and other cousin should start trying to look as good as they do. ROAR. annoying. Luckily my sister doesn't push the envelope too much, because back when I was a twig, she was my size, and people would constantly tell her just how good I looked. Seriously, if possible, my resolution would be for people to stop telling me I look fat, and outlining everyone that looks good. Since thats not possible, I want to try to eat healthier, eat less (I tend to have large portions), and work out. I'm dying to get back into all my clothes that no longer fit.

--------------------

#234662 - 12/30/05 02:29 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Ashley...

My goal is the same as yours, except I'd rather be down 20 lbs. And it is all about fitting back into the pretty clothes. Here's to us actually doing it!

Re: I'm not normally a "resolutions" kind of person... new
      #234664 - 12/30/05 02:32 PM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

40 pounds overweight - I'm so happy for you. Seriously - this time last year you couldn't eat enough to stop losing weight, so that says how much better life has got.

I'm like you though - must stop eating lots of chocolate and get fit again. My mums side of the family is prone to high chloresterol and diabetes, so I don't want to risk that.

My goal - to stop being afraid of going to the theatre and to stop taking in too much work because I am afraid of saying no.

Also to horse ride more - I'm going to see someone tomorrow who wants me to ride her daughters two horses for free and its only 10 mins down the road. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Another resolution - to accept the fact that I am and always will be a terrible knitter!! I find it sooooo stressful :-)

Casey new
      #234671 - 12/30/05 03:34 PM
Stephie

Hey Casey,
Looks like you and I have some things in common! I too am not usually a resolution kinda girl, but I thought it would be a nice positive post.
Anywho, the other is that I too am about 40 lbs over weight right now.
Maybe we should make a go of it together? I would like to try and start Reporting In again on the computer, I do like to be held accountable.
40 lbs seems kinda daunting, but I really wanna lose the weight so I can get my boob surgery and feel good about it!

Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Ashley: I still think you look skinny and beautiful! -nt- new
      #234672 - 12/30/05 03:36 PM
Stephie

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#234674 - 12/30/05 03:46 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Thanks Chinagrl! I'm so glad to see you back around here.

90% of my clothes dont' fit and its sooooo discouraging! I'm crossing my fingers that BOTH of us actually do it, and do it right.

I usually say i'm going to diet, and then the next day i'm eating too much. This time we need to stick to it

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22145

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review