All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
How was everyone's Christmas/Hannukah?
      #233881 - 12/26/05 08:50 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

We have had a wind down day after all the madness....good thinkg too, because Kayleigh has been harassing me ALL day to put toys together and check them out...she's now singing "santa Claus isn't coming to town...he doesn't see you when you're sleeping, he doesn't know when you're awake, so be bad for badness sake".We didn't teach her this!!....lol smarta$$ kid.

We did Christmas eve with trev's mom and their family (which is a gong show and way exorbitant) and Christmas Day with my mom, sister& neice, then with Trevor's Dad, stepmom, and co.....It was a ton of fun.

I got food poisoning/massive IBSD attack from a Bailey's gone bad Xmas eve, so was up till 4 AM , but was OK Christmas Day, what a Christmas miracle...ha ha.

X-mas day was spent traveling and unwrapping like fiends. Kay and Trevor and I got spoiled ROTTEN!!(not that that's unusual.)

I got a satellite radio (Sirius) for Christmas, lots of clothes& knicknacks, a teapot and kettle, iron and nice flatware...and Trevor got a satellite radio(XM) a ton of clothes, golf gift certificates and a $300 Callaway putter (if anyone golfs, you might understand....) but Kay got 3 pair of jammies, clothes, socks, a Dora kitchen, stuffed animals, more playdoh than I'm willing to count, an art tub full of markers etc, and a piano keyboard in addition to our goofy little things we've gotten her. Oh yeah, and this crazy holographic lighted Dora torso for her wall. it's freaky!!

And we do it all again in 2 days when my Dad comes, and then in 17 days it's her birthday!LOL! Wheee!

Wake me up when this merry go round is over, hee hee!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

its only the secodn day of Chanukah.. new
      #233893 - 12/27/05 06:01 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and my inlaws are doing Christmas tonight so that hasn't happened yet.. my parents sent shearling hat and gloves... and DH got a coin counter... My grandparents sent $$$$, and my sister sent a magnet picture of my nephew...

not bad.. and then there was DH.. Who bought me the zojirushi bread machine I've been wanting!

and thank goodness for Giada De laurentis of food tv... I made suvganiot that didn't set me off!

She had a recipe for italian donuts- fried pieces of pizza dough... I have safe dough recipes, so did it... DH said they aren't as sweet as normal, but he still liked them- I did some her way- just small pieces rolled in cinnamon and sugar and some filled with chocolate chips- and rolled in cocoa and sugar- yummy when warm!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I love hearing of everyone's holidays new
      #233899 - 12/27/05 07:51 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Ours has been a wonderful adventure that started by being stranded on Christmas Eve, on a barren highway for 2+ hours with what we THOUGHT was a busted transmission. We made the best of it by hiking through the woods on the side of the highway, all of us with 3 kids and even the dog, quite a sight. At one point Eric paused and said, "What if there are hunters out here?" Oh well, didn't think of that??? We were fine. Praise the Lord, just found out today only the pan that holds the transmission fluid was broken, so that's about a fifth of the cost we were fearing! After just buying a house and having Christmas, that was sure GREAT news!

My highlight of the season was the kids doing their Christmas "play" for their grandparents. They were the 3 kings and Eric was King Herod. They sang 2 songs, and all of them did GREAT - I was so proud of them and they looked so cute in their costumes. Sarah's baby dolls were Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus... wish I could show you all the video!!

The other sweet highlist was - I have the most dear, sweet Mother in Law "MOM" in the world - she gave me a gift from the kids, a gift certificate to a spa down in uptown that I love. She said it's not fair that I'm their teacher AND their mom so I never get gifts for either role. She even had them make me a card. Eric never thinks to do such things from the kids so it meant a LOT to me, from them, and also to know how much what I do is apprciated even by their Mamaw.

So, we have a lot to be thankful for this year. The kids are still trying to "take in" all the new STUFF - way too much. Time to give some old stuff away!!!!!!!!!

Love and Happy Holidays to all who celebrate!

a couple pics...

Luke with his jets:

Aaron with his violin:
[image][/image]

Sarah with Mulan:

All of us at my mother's house:

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: How was everyone's Christmas/Hannukah? new
      #233900 - 12/27/05 08:03 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Typical (i.e. really mellow fun)!

I had dinner with Dad, Grandmother & Aunt Mary. Decided not to say "Humbug." Packed my own food therefore no issues, no stress.

Then we jumped in the car & went to see the latest Harry Potter movie. (I haven't seen a movie in a theatre in YEARS!!! It is a family X-Mas tradition, too. This is due to a major anxiety disorder. But, I've been popping my pills, so the level is reduced. A lorazepam really helped take the edge off. ) Can you believe I had to dash to pee 6 times??? But then, I did have a really really big coffee & the impossibley huge diet Coke (both of which I drank)! It was fun.

Oh, re: gifts: more or less $$$!

Kate.

Edited by Wind (12/27/05 08:04 AM)

Let's just say I'm glad it's only 1x a year! new
      #233906 - 12/27/05 08:57 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Mac and I headed down to my parents' on Thursday, with my cat Gracie. Hit some traffic, but got down there ok. Spent Friday and Saturday helping my mother cook food (she has IBS as well, so we needed to make food for Christmas she and I could eat). The issue was the food we made got eaten for dinner both of those nights as well, and Mac was bored and kept bugging me to go out and do something, but I was exhausted from traveling, cooking, and I had had bloodwork done on Thursday before we left.

Sunday was spent mostly on the road, brunch at my aunt's, lunch at one grandparents', and dinner at my other grandparents'. I don't really want to get into details, but my family is very dysfunctional and this Christmas was a prime example. Mac and I (and Gracie) headed back up here to Philly yesterday with no problems. Woke up this morning with a migraine though that I'm working on staving off.

Present-wise, cookbooks and DVDs were abundant, plus a few Barnes&Noble giftcards. My aunt gave me a pretty set of earrings, a hooded scarf, and a cute double picture frame. And the food my mother and I cooked was yummy and complimented all around.

But I must say it is good to be back home.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Oh, my gosh..... new
      #233913 - 12/27/05 09:54 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

What a Christmas Eve for the memory books! Did you have your camera with you? I'm glad the hunters weren't out there. I appreciate Eric pointing that out to you! The thought of that would've terrified me!

You are so fortunate to have such a sweet mother-in-law. (I can't say the same for my in-laws). My sister-in-law, the one who didn't speak to us for 8 years because of a misunderstanding at Christmas one year, is now pissed at us again. She sent an ugly email to my husband right before Christmas (probably mad because we were the only ones not coming for the holiday). He was so upset that when he received her Christmas gift in the mail, he just put it aside---and he hasn't even opened it yet.

It is so exhausting trying to figure out what it is that makes her mad. She's just so immature. Every little thing upsets her. I feel like we have to walk on eggshells all the time! We never know what we set her off. Honestly, I think she's just looking for a reason to be upset with us.

So that was the beginning of our Christmas, but the two of us just had to shake it off and put it out of our minds. Otherwise, she would've ruined the holidays for us---and I was determined to not let her put a damper on things.

Sorry, but I am so envious of others that have NICE in-laws.

#233924 - 12/27/05 10:35 AM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

Defintely sounds like you all had a great christmas. We had a nice one to: my husband got me a peacoat, new pair of puma shoes that I have been dying for, but did not want to put the money out form, a veggie steamer, a beach bag with my initals on it, lots of sweaters and some other little things. Our son, Karl Jr, got a hummer power-wheel, and to many toys! My husband, Karl, got some new running shoes, a family tree maker for the new laptop my dad bought us, some tools, clothes, and he is a sports fanatic. Our basement is a mens sports bar, so he got alot of autographed helmets, pics, etc from e-bay. We had a wonderful christmas. I just think it takes so long to get here and then is gone so fast.

#233928 - 12/27/05 10:49 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

This is SO nice of you to ask *hugs*

Chanukah is going ok so far. We don't so gifts or anything...but we had Latkas. having MAJOR attakcs these days tho...boo hoo!

I LOVE that pic! What a GORGEOUS fam!!! You are such a beautiful woman Shannon!! I'm totaly impressed by your career and your heart of gold...

Hope the days to come are slow and nice and easy for ya *hugs*

Love,

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: I love hearing of everyone's holidays new
      #233931 - 12/27/05 11:59 AM
Snow for Sarala

Michelle...

This makes me so happy and brings tears to my eyes! To see such a loving, happy family together like this...

You are such a special mom, woman...and friend.

May all your days be filled with happiness, light, beauty, and love!

I love you!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

You mean how IS is, right? new
      #233936 - 12/27/05 12:33 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

We started with a trip to my folk's on Thursday evening, returned home lastnight around 8pm, and are now waiting to get things started on DH's side of the family...activities already lined up for tomorrow, Thursday and Saturday!! WHEW!!!

The past four days were PERFECT!!! Good food, lots of family time, silly all-night laughing with my older sister, just really great times!! I'm hoping this next week of activity will be as fun! I'll keep you posted!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

By the way, that's a beautiful family photo! --nt-- new
      #233937 - 12/27/05 12:36 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

#233943 - 12/27/05 01:31 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04

Well it has been a whirlwind for us these past few days. It seriously looks like Toys R Us threw up in my living room!! LOL! Noah got a ton of stuff from everyone. Lots of Elmo things and puzzles. I don't know what everyone is going to get himf for his birthday in less than two weeks!!! The child has everything already!

As far as me I got clothes, DVD's, Nora Jones CD and Enya's new one. I also got a new set of Farberware pots and pans from my inlaws. They have the clear lids so you can see what's cooking! Overall it was busy but lots of fun. I am glad to be at a slower pace now though! Sounds like you had a lot of fun too!

LOL< I understand that statement! new
      #233949 - 12/27/05 01:41 PM
_Willow

Ours is far from over as well. I love Christmas!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Oops, can you tell I'm Christian? new
      #233951 - 12/27/05 01:45 PM
_Willow

I had no idea how to spell it, and thought it was over for some reason. Does it begin on the same day of our calendar every year or is it according to an ancient calendar? Do you exchange gifts? I've known some Jewish folks who do a gift every night...but tradtitions differ I suppose!

Anyhow, thanks for the sweet compliments! I guess I take pretty good pictures....too bad Kay and Trevor both have goofy faces there. LOL!

And yes, I'm madly in love with being a teacher too, can you tell??

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

melissa, I totally understand.... new
      #233952 - 12/27/05 01:55 PM
_Willow

my family is utterly dysfunctional (hence my being in therapy,LOL,) and finding out I'm the least screwed up of all of us (yay!)was nice news. Our family is all jealous of each other and argues like,hmm...like the irish descendants we have.

It can be hard to deal with family on the holidays. Once you have kids in the picture it's even harder too, because you want to please everyone, and you kind of leave yourself in the dust a while. Now that Kayleigh's three, I've decided Christmas is about what my DH and I want for oUR family, and we get to call the shots. Surely I'll be ticked about that concept once I'm a grandma, LOL!

I'm glad you survived it though.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#233953 - 12/27/05 02:01 PM
_Willow

Sounds mellow, and WTG on watching a movie! Is it the dark or the screen or the people that freaks you out?
I ask because Dh has been popping the Ativan lately due to his not officially diagnosed anxiety disorder...his mom has AD so has ativan and shares with him...it works very well and is so tiny that he doens't have to contend with his phobia of swallowing pills/choking. I thought it was funny at first but now take it pretty seriously.

Anyhow, Dh's attacks happen in the middle of the night, after he's fallen asleep, and he can't mellow back down without going to his "safe place" (the couch) or taking some Ativan. And he's a stubborn donkey who's been contending with this for 6 months now. (not that my IBS isn't 99% anxiety related, mind you, i can't tease.)
Except of course, when one is eating horrid dairy all the time, can't blame this on stress, lOL!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Oops, can you tell I'm Christian? new
      #233954 - 12/27/05 02:06 PM
Snow for Sarala

Hey Shannon!

Most families do gifts...we just don't. We're weird (As a kid I got a gift almost all eight nights btw! If we ever have kids maybe it'll be diff...who knows )

It goes according to the Lunar calendar so it's diff every year. This year it began on the night of the 25th and it goes for 8 nights.

You're truly beautiful Shannon! And os is that hubby and daughter of yours They're def keepers!

And truly...I know you're a fantastic teacher. It's in your soul and it shows! *hugs*

Love you!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Awww!!! new
      #233956 - 12/27/05 02:10 PM
_Willow

You got Aaron a violin? That's wicked awesome! I used to play, that's just adorable!

I can imagine the Christmas play was a riot to watch, how adorable.

Glad you had a good time, and that God peeked his head in when you were in trouble and lightened the load. He's good at that!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Shannon, I just have to ask you... new
      #233959 - 12/27/05 02:16 PM
Snow for Sarala

what kind of lip stick are you wearing in this pic? I have the hardest time finding a good color...and our skin tones are similair. (Does it have a scent? I can't wear anything with a scent?)

Anyhow it's beautiful!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Oh yuck! new
      #233960 - 12/27/05 02:17 PM
_Willow

I had a big squabble with my uncle at Thanksgiving, because...get this...this is what I mean by a dysfunctionnal family....
he was mad that my husband won't come to their house because a) we're invited whenever DH is working and they know that, and b)they ahve two horses which he's Violently allergic to, and is terrified of taking allergy meds, and they don't work anyways.

My uncle actually said "well if he could come here and sit here and sneeze for a while, then we'd believe he's allergic" as in he Contrived it all to avoid them! How rediculous! Talk about self centred. And of course Dh doesn't want to see them now because why the hell should he if they all think he's got some stupid scheme to keep himself from being near them?

All this because I'm not around at the holidays now. It's utterly stupid. I finally flipped out on my uncle and said I'd come to see him when I could and the rest of it he could stick where the sun don't shine.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Well, it sounds like you've had fun so far!! new
      #233964 - 12/27/05 02:33 PM
_Willow

How does Chanukah work then in terms of the 8 days? Is the last day a big celebration, or is it 8 crazy nights like Adam sandler says?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Well, it sounds like you've had fun so far!! new
      #233967 - 12/27/05 02:47 PM
Snow for Sarala

We remember the miracles that took place and we learn the story of Chanukah. We commemorate by lighting the candles.

Children get to eat Chanukah gelt...though I'm not sure where that tradition started? (Of course adults can eat choloate too!!!!! ) And we play a Dreidle game and eat fried food (fried food to remember the oil that stayed lit for 8 nights instead of just one).

It's FUN! I like it

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Aww, thank you! new
      #233968 - 12/27/05 02:51 PM
_Willow

You are truly "filled with the Spirit" (Do you believe in the Holy Spirit? Sometimes I foget where the Torah ends and our take on things begins, LOL!)
But wither way, you're just in such an adorable lovey dovey mood! I love it!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

ps- love YOU TOO!! nm new
      #233969 - 12/27/05 02:52 PM
_Willow

nrthgzsdfv

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Ohhhhhhh!!!!! I get it now!! new
      #233970 - 12/27/05 02:53 PM
_Willow

Ha ha, I always wondered what the deal was with Jewish custom and all that fried food, Duh! For a smart lady, I'm not too great at making those connections, LOL!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#233972 - 12/27/05 02:59 PM
_Willow

Ooh, it sounds like you had a riot! Our house looks like that too, and Kay turns three on Jan. 11, so we ahve a bit of a breather...yikes! What were we thinking getting pregnant in APril??

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Aww, thank you! new
      #233973 - 12/27/05 03:01 PM
Snow for Sarala

You're welcome

I'm gonna have to ask for an e-mail on this if you don't mind? I'm not sure what you're asking (and I don't want to offend anyone!!!) I hope that's ok! *hugs*

:-)

You're awesome Shannon!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

You are so thoughtful! new
      #233974 - 12/27/05 03:09 PM
_Willow

My email addy is this: but you have to put it together - I do this so spammers can't get to me.

shan _ the _ webb @ yahoo . ca

Got it? Just eliminate all the spaces and you can keep it forever, LOL!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

E-mail sent! If it comes back, I'll try again ;) *hugs* n-t new
      #233979 - 12/27/05 03:15 PM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I tried your e-mail FIVE diff. ways... new
      #233993 - 12/27/05 04:17 PM
Snow for Sarala

and it keeps coming back Would you mind e-mailing me so I can e-mail you back?

Thanks *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

typically for us its.. new
      #234031 - 12/28/05 05:49 AM
khyricat

8 simple days.. this year we're having a party the 7th night (coincides with NYE this year) and my family sent some gifts which we opened.. Bill's family isn't Jewish- we did Christmas last night with them, and I lit the hanukiah there... Bill and I do the give each other gifts thing but its one or many depending- one year I gave him one gift in 8 parts - he had to wait to the last night to put it all together!

This year I got some big gifts because he gave me the $$ to add to some GC's I'd won during the year from work for my zojirushi bread machine I've wanted AND his stepdad gave me a GC to williams sonoma and I had one, so we're getting a new set of knives with it! (and some $$ from my grandparents)

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

me too.. I even found a relatively safe.. new
      #234033 - 12/28/05 06:06 AM
khyricat

sufganiot recipe and I bake my latkes- just brown them in oil first... so they are not too bad... and I had a ball teaching my nonjewish nephews the blessigns and the songs last night at my MIL's christmas thing when it was time to light candles there!

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Well, honey, you got me, so, NO! new
      #234186 - 12/28/05 09:28 PM
_Willow

And it was lovely!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Oh sweet! new
      #234187 - 12/28/05 09:32 PM
_Willow

I love that you stretch it out sometimes...the waiting must be deadly, haha!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

oh, that sounds so sweet! new
      #234188 - 12/28/05 09:36 PM
_Willow

I appreciate the lesson, Amie, because though Edmonton has a fairly big jewish community and our mayor's jewish(that's not public knowledge) I live in little ol' WASP land over here and don't get to see much of it. So this is very enlightening. I feel very connected to judaism, as I am a christian, so we grew out of Judaism.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Glad it's over ....... new
      #234202 - 12/29/05 05:15 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

We had our Christmas on Friday, so Christmas day was just another day, except for an awesome breakfast. The local church buys us gifts and I asked for gift certs. and a phone card. I like to pick out my own clothes (have to try them on). I also got a set of sheets,some p.j.'s and a book about my hometown, Provincetown, MA. I got a lot of other small stocking stuffer type things too. I just wish we could have done it on Sunday.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

FANTASTIC!! new
      #234206 - 12/29/05 05:45 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

My dad and stepmom are in town - which is why I've been so scarce this week, and will continue to be until they head back to NJ - it was the first Christmas I've gotten to celebrate with MY family for quite a few years, and that alone makes it absolutely fantastic!

Adam spoiled me rotten. He got me a diamond heart necklace, and he's in the process of building me a new computer! (He was trying to get it finished before Christmas, but something didn't work, so he has to send it back.) I got all kinds of good things from both sets of parents... an ice cream maker, lots of books, a huge memory card for my digital camera, a Lomo 4-lens camera (those things are neat!), and all sorts of other little goodies. My family absolutely **LOVED** everything I made them. My mother called me specifically (second time that day) to fawn all over me for my amazing knitting skills, haha. Even my brothers were impressed, which is very hard to do.

And then, of course, Dad and Sarah have been here all week, so we've been running around and having a good time just spending time together. Yesterday we went up into the Amish part of the state. The day before we went down into Bangor and thrifted. Today they're looking at houses (!!!) and I'm going with them to take pictures. Fun times!

I love this time of year! I hope everyone else had/is having a wonderful holiday!

It's all over and I'm back at work :( new
      #234232 - 12/29/05 07:06 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

We had a lovely Christmas.

Went home to my parents' on Christmas Eve (with my "New Husband" in tow) Visited relatives that evening, then went to the local pub with two of my brothers and one of my sisters (the others are underage) Christmas Day we got up at 8am to see if Santa had come (he had!) and then we went to Mass at 11 and visited my grandparents' grave.

We had a visitor at 12.30- a neighbour home from the US to visit his parents took a family portrait of us. Then P and I went for a walk on the beach and came back for a HUGE dinner which was followed by another walk on the beach.

We just sat around most of the evening, and then when we couldn't find our Trivial Pursuits game we turned on the DVD player and had a few drinks which turned out to be great fun.

On the 26th, St Stephen's Day, we went for a walk by the coast near home and my grandmother and aunt visited. Then we went to the local pub and disco with my brothers and a cousin. Very good fun.

On 27th we made a five and half hour trip across the country to visit P's family and we went out for a drink with some of his friends who were home for Christmas.

We came back to Dublin yesterday via a visit to my aunt and cousins in Co. Mayo and I am back to work today and really, really bored out of muy brain. I SERIOUSLY need a new job!

I got (and gave!) some lovely gifts, books, DVDs, clothes etc My aunt gave P and I a portable DVD player that we really weren't expecting so that went down a treat.

Ruchie- I asked for (and got) that book you recommended some time ago "French Women Don't get Fat". I'm reading it at the moment and it's very interesting, and I am laughing at the patronising bits too!

Off out of Dublin for 2 nights at the weekend for New Year's- party in one friend's place on NYE and a different group of friends are having a party on January 1st. Then the New Year will hit with a sharp shock after that.

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 388 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11309

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review