All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ladies with ortho tri-cyclen experience
      #233715 - 12/24/05 07:32 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

I've heard some of you give pretty bad reviews on the stuff, and my sister just started taking it. She doesn't have IBS or any stomach issues, but I'm wondering if any of you noticed any ill effects that could harm her?

Any thoughts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I took these new
      #233720 - 12/25/05 06:22 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I took all the orthos at one time or another. They gave me spotting and piercing headaches. But for the first month or so they were fine. I never got preggo off of them, so they worked for me in that regard.

Good luck to your sister! Just watch out for the headaches and blood.

~nelly~

Re: Ladies with ortho tri-cyclen experience new
      #233723 - 12/25/05 06:41 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I didn't have IBS when I took these in the Navy and they gave me very bad headaches, I lost some of my hair in the front, (never grew back!), and it also gave me HORRIBLE stomach cramps, nausea, weakness.....where do I stop?? I hated Ortho! I went on it for my face and it never cleared up my acne but it did give me all the nasty side effects. But, I did not get pregnant, either, like Nelly said! It works in that regard.....
It was just way to strong for me. I am on Levsin at the moment (which is weak) and getting ready to switch over the Alesse which is even weaker. I do better on very low estrogen. Especially now with my IBS!!

Good Luck to your sis!

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Never had any trouble..... new
      #233727 - 12/25/05 06:58 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

and I was on it for probably 2.5 years. My problem was I'd forget to take one, and have to take 2 at a time, and it would make me SO nauseous. But otherwise, I think my only side effect was bigger boobs.

--------------------

Re: I wish I had that side effect!! LOL!! ~nt~ new
      #233731 - 12/25/05 08:44 AM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

#233733 - 12/25/05 09:00 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I just remember it didn't work for me. I was on it for PMDD. I think it worked for a year and then I switched to Microgestin (I'm actually on Loestrin which is the generic). This is the best BC pill I've ever been on....though sometimes I miss my period on it!!! Ok, so that's not bad...but it does give me a scare I might be pregs. Otherwise no side effects and I love it! (Michelle it's low estrogen! My doc was gonna switch me to Alesse cause he had so many samples...but we were so happy with this one I stayed on it. Just a thought in case Alesse doesn't work out )

You're such a great sis to ask.. *hugs* I hope it works out for he without any dreaded side effects!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Ruch/Loestrin new
      #233734 - 12/25/05 09:38 AM
anlikerm

You like microgestin?? I am on that right now and it's still too strong for me. I only have one good week right now out of the whole month. The second week. The first week's pills are too strong and upset my stomach. The third weeks is when I get the most cramps and IBS attacks and the last week is my sick-gut bleeding week. Bleh!!

I have been on this pill for at least 10 years and NEVER had the problems that I'm having with it right now. But, I have never used the generic form either, until last year. Could it be that it's generic and not the actual "Loestrin". Which one are you on?? I'm on the Loestrin 1.5/30. They said for me to go lower, I could swithch to 1/20 or Alesse. I chose to get away from Loestrin all together. Are you on the really low Loestrin dose or the same one I'm on??

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Edited by anlikerm (12/25/05 09:40 AM)

#233740 - 12/25/05 02:08 PM
karenleslie

Reged: 11/13/05
Loc: San Francisco, CA

When I first started taking BC pills I used OTC type and everything seemed to work out fine. After my Dad had a heart attack they wanted to me go to an all progesterone one and my experience with those was horrible. I tried two and they both made me miserable. Headaches, nausea and severe depression. I complained so much they finally put me back on the old OTC and then I started getting a lot of side effects that I didn't have before. I gave up on BC pills for a couple years after that.

BUT about a year ago my new doctor thought I should try again and I started on Yasmin and I really have no complaints. The only side effects I had was a little nausea at first but it went away after a month or two. I definetly recommend it.

--------------------
Karen

IBS-A

What kind are OTC, I'm curious? -nt- new
      #233746 - 12/25/05 03:11 PM
Nelly

Re: What kind are OTC, I'm curious? -nt- new
      #233749 - 12/25/05 04:41 PM
karenleslie

Reged: 11/13/05
Loc: San Francisco, CA

I just mean the most basic ortho tri-cylen type. Probably the cheapest too because I was going to Planned Parenthood at the time.

Sorry to confuse.

--------------------
Karen

IBS-A

Re: I took these new
      #233751 - 12/25/05 05:07 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I had been taking Orthocept for years and thought I would try something else so I switched to ortho-trycyclen (sp, i dunno ) and I got massive headaches and bad periods so I to get off of them. I take Marvelon now and it seems to be okay.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Oh I thought you meant "Over The Counter!" :) -nt- new
      #233786 - 12/26/05 08:05 AM
Nelly

Re: Don't feel bad, Nelly! So did I!! LOL!! ~nt~ new
      #233788 - 12/26/05 08:08 AM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

Re: I took it for several years new
      #233871 - 12/26/05 07:29 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

and was fine with it! I even piggy backed the pills and only had 3 or so periods a year! The first couple of months trying to piggy back, I had some break through bleeding but no headaches or anything. When I stopped it about 2 years ago, I didn't notice any changes either!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: I took it for several years new
      #234135 - 12/28/05 03:13 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I took it for seven years without trouble of any kind, not even baby trouble.

The only issue I found was that the hormonal imbalance I had until it got into my system wasn't fun for anyone. But after that first month it was smooth sailing!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 295 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3513

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review