All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Canadians - anyone watching the leaders' debate tonight?
      #232177 - 12/16/05 05:12 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Or am I the only political nerd on here, hehe

...what are your thoughts on this election though?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

What election? new
      #232181 - 12/16/05 05:33 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Is there an election coming up? Provincial or National?

Sorry, I seriously pay no attention whatsoever to news. I couldn't tell you who the leaders are. I cannot remember the last time I bothered to vote.

Ignorance, I know. But seriously...what election?

D'uh.
Kate.

Re: What election? new
      #232304 - 12/17/05 05:45 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I completely missed it, but it's archieved on the CBC website if anyone really want to check it out: http://www.cbc.ca/clips/ram-newsworld/debate_051216.ram

I actually just filled out my special ballot stuff today - hopefully it will get there in time!

- Vincent

#232310 - 12/17/05 07:11 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

You know, since I have been dating a Canadian for awhile now, I have been very interested in Canadian politics. It is so cool! So different from the States yet so similar. Similar meaning, each party will say whatever it takes to win.

One thing I didn't like was the U.S. ambassador to Canada getting involved by saying to keep our name (the U.S.) out of Canadian politics. I think he could have went about saying it in a different way. But, I do think Mr. Martin takes potshots at the States because it is political points for him as Pres. Bush is not well liked in Canada. Then again he is not well liked here either!

But anyway, I will be keeping a close eye on things...

--------------------

#232311 - 12/17/05 07:29 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I too have no clue. The news is too frightening for me. I have enough nightmeres without it!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Yawn... zzzzzz..... new
      #232320 - 12/17/05 09:06 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You're right. This Canadian does NOT like Martin for many reasons, including the pot shots at the U.S. I had other things written in this post, but deleted them. Let's just sum it up to say I'm NOT a fan of Martin.
As for the debates... one radio show host summed them up as a great cure for insomnia...

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Also a nerd.....my dad was a mayor, after all.... new
      #232333 - 12/17/05 11:32 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I'm even more confuddled than before. Being an Albrtan teacher who has seen the Conservatives effectively be the one reason I don't have a full on contract right now....I am scared of them, the Libs I do not trust because of all the scandals, and NDP I like, sort of but really....how will THEY get in?

Maybe I'll vote bloc. LOL! Hey, kayleigh's enrolled in a French Immersion preschool, I speak French. LMAO! Nope, totally NON for seperatism.

Glad there's a nerd out there too. We need to ahve ppl involved in this political process again!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Missed it... new
      #232335 - 12/18/05 05:59 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03

Eeek, politics...its hard not to pay attention when that is all that is on the news these days (and plus all I have is cbc so it is hard not to watch it ).

I, too, am afraid of the Conservatives. However, I believe they are going to give Martin a good fight since everyone appears unsatisfied with him and the Liberal party. But in my opinion, the liberal sponsorship scandal is only the icing on the cake. I really think most political parties do what they can to keep in the race and we actually dont know what scandals the other parties have already done. (but that is just my opinion ).

It is funny how they make all these "promises" during election time, but I dont pay any attention since we know politicians cannot keep their "promises". The liberals are getting scared now, so I think that is why they have turned to bashing anything to do with the Conservative party and Stephen Harper, including the U.S.

Just my two cents though

#232344 - 12/18/05 07:35 AM
TommyNY

Martin seems like he will say whatever it takes to win. Listen, I know U.S. policy over the past five years has not made many friends, but, to bash your number one trading partner over and over again to win votes is not wise. If I were living in Canada, and I may one day, I think I would have to go Conservative. hey seem closer to my values but I would educate myself about all the parties and make sure I vote!

--------------------

#232418 - 12/18/05 02:37 PM
retrograde

Haha yeah I found them quite boring too! Personally I liked it better when they yelled at each other (y'know, like a real DEBATE!) but I think a lot of Canadians hated that.

Full disclosure: I'm a total lefty. I'm not a big Martin fan either (never have been) but I'd much rather see him get back in then the Conservatives. I'm gunning for another Liberal minority with as many NDP seats as possible (more than last time hopefully!)

It really bugs me too they way it seems like they'll all say anything to win. And everyone except Paul Martin spends so much time taking shot at him, it gets kind of annoying. How about some POSITIVE campaigning? And yeah that whole thing with the US ambassador... totally just played right into Martin's hands, or Harper's, depending on how you look at it. A lot of people I think want a PM who will be willing to stand up to the US if needed, and Martin portrayed himself as such. But then a lot of people also dislike that subtle anti-Americanism... which was a boon for Harper.

Anyway, that's my two cents Oh, and is anyone else a little tired of seeing all middle aged white male candidates every year??? Sigh...

#232427 - 12/18/05 03:44 PM
TommyNY

That is exactly what I thought when I heard the U.S. ambassador speak. He completely played right into Martin's hands! Glad someone else saw that as well!

Jeez, I am tired of middle-aged, RICH white candidates here in the States. But... that is the way it has been for 229 years and counting... Actually, I just wish we had someone to trust for once. That is why I hope Senator McCain will run in 2008. He has always been my candidate since 2000...

--------------------

#232505 - 12/19/05 06:40 AM
jrs

Well, I finally watched it, and it wasn't bad. I actually thought the moderator did an excellent job keeping them in time and refocusing the questions that some leaders skimmed over. The impact on the overnight polls (pdf) seems to have been negligable though - a slight increase in leadership for Jack Layton, that's about it. The interesting thing about this campaign is that it's really going to be in two parts - the current one before the holidays, and then the rush afterwards, since no one is really going to care between Christmas and New Year's (assuming they do in the first place!)

Oh, and since we're all being up front about bias, I was the President of the Nova Scotia NDP Youth Wing for two years in my early twenties, worked on a number of campaigns for the NDP in Canada and the Democrats in Illinois, and currently hover somewhere between the Liberal party and the NDP. My vote is NDP this time around, since I personally know the candidate who's in my riding.

Oh, and if you just can't get enough of Canadian politics, you can download a simluation and play a particular party yourself here, sponsored by the CBC.

- Vincent

#232506 - 12/19/05 06:44 AM
TommyNY

Vincent, thanks for that link. I will play the game when I get home...

--------------------

Re: Canadians - anyone watching the leaders' debate tonight? new
      #232580 - 12/19/05 11:03 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I missed the debate but am definately going to be voting Liberal. I really hate this election to be honest...I don't like the choices The liberals have been less than stellar lately with the sponsorship scandal and everything but I am very left-wing and just don't think I could tolerate having the Conservatives being in charge (especially Mr. Harper as he seems to be VERY right wing) and I don't think the NDP really stand a chance. So yeah, it's not the greatest election choices and I hate that they choose to have it right around the holidays, but I'll still be sure to get out there and vote!

Re: Canadians - anyone watching the leaders' debate tonight? new
      #232585 - 12/19/05 11:11 AM
TommyNY

Heh, down here harper would be considered a moderate Republican, not even close to being right-wing or even a conservative. Funny how different things are down here...

--------------------

Hey Tommy new
      #232597 - 12/19/05 12:22 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I know, I find that scary! That's why I don't want to live in the US (no offense of course)

#232609 - 12/19/05 12:58 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03

Yeah, I'm conservative or NDP. I'm not a huge fan of harper, but I really like the conservative guy in our riding. It's hard. Do you vote for the little guy in the riding, or for the big guy in Ottawa? Sometimes, it's a hard choice.
For me, it's not just the sponsorship scandal, but the billions wasted on a pathetic attempt at gun control. Duh? Do you think the criminals are going to register???

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

big guy vs. little guy new
      #232631 - 12/19/05 01:48 PM
retrograde

I always find that a hard choice too. I consider myself NDP (volunteer with the party now and then) but last year I knew the MP running in my riding for the liberals and I knew he was the best choice so I voted for him.

There are so many postive and so many negative things about the riding system the way we have it in Canada (i.e. vs some kind of proportional representation)... I'm kind of split on which one is better there though.

Holy Dinah! Are we the same person? new
      #232728 - 12/19/05 09:10 PM
_Willow

ok, that joke may be in bad taste a la the LR comments about double posters, but serisouly...I love the NDP grassroots stuff, but sadly I don't live in BC but redneck Alberta. I'm a huge leftie. Hippy girl.

But, I'll be voting NDP because I ahve to vote my heart.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

isn't that funny! You should really take our premier-Ralph Klein. He'd make a good new
      #232729 - 12/19/05 09:11 PM
_Willow

guv'nah of Texas....for some reason it's like little Texas in the richest province in Canada here....drives me NUTS!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Voting Strategy new
      #232741 - 12/20/05 04:11 AM
jrs

Since there are a bunch of Liberal/NDP crossovers out there, and I assume no one thinks we're headed for a majority government, let me suggest something. If you're in a close riding, such as these , then check to see who the competitors are - if it's Liberal/NDP or Conservative/NDP, vote NDP, if it's Liberal/Conservative, vote Liberal, if it's a 3-way-tie, flip a coin.

Otherwise, if you're riding is not on this list, check out the previous vote count here (click on the riding name). If you're in a riding where it's likely to be a blowout, then just vote for your favourite party - remember that if you turn out to vote, your party gets $1.75 in funds - so it's still important! This way you can help prevent a Conservative minority/majority gov't, but at the same time, ensure that there is a larger number of NDP MPs to work with in a coalition government.

- Vincent

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 549 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1728

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review