All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Excruciating total evac-- arg!
      #231917 - 12/15/05 05:24 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Ugh. I was doing so well. Log yesterday, log today... but then when I had another in the early afternoon, I suddenly knew what was happening... Total evacuation.

3 hours of D later, I'm completely weak now, and slowly trying to dehydrate. I've got a bunch of imodium in me, plus some donatal, but I'm completely out of vicodin and codiene. So it's straight tylenol for pain. It's totally not working.

I am so glad I work from home. If I were at the office today I'd be unconcious from the pain on the floor somewhere (violins softly playing) in a puddle, alone (music crescendo), for hours in pain.

Luckily I was able to pass out for a while in my bed instead between 3:15 and 5:00.

So now I've got this sucking feeling in my stomach. It's like bad hunger pains meets a vacuum. I'd love to eat the whole fridge right now, but I'm physically willing myself not to eat. I'm just making do with chamomille tea.

Man I'm so weak right now. I'm going to lie down some more and try not to think about food.

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: AWWWWE, Nelly!! new
      #231945 - 12/15/05 07:18 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I'm so sorry, hon!!! I know that feeling....I am still going through it now. Even this morning. I had a BM as soon as I woke up and after I took my fiber, I had another BM and I knew then it was going to be bad. 5 BM's later, and 2 imodium.....I was done!!! The pain is sooo intense. OH, I feel so awful for you! I hope you bounce back, tomorrow.

When I only have one BM, I'm good. If I go twice, I know it's over! Total Evacuation time!!! It Sucks!!!

And if I have a BM in the afternoon like you did....it's OVER!! Keep sipping the Chamomile tea. It saves my life sometimes, I swear. I don't have anything for pain (because my doctor is a JACK-ASS), so I really rely on chamomile to relax the gut!!

Feel better soon!!

*HUGS*!!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: Excruciating total evac-- arg! *DELETED* new
      #231948 - 12/15/05 07:33 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Must be in the air... new
      #231952 - 12/15/05 08:33 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

The $H!t is hitting the fan, here, too.

Actually, I don't have a fan. My toilet looks like soup.

Okay, that was TMI, but I knew something was up when I had a huge stomach ache after supper.

I'm doing mint and it's so COOLING.

I think I've caught a break in the storm, so I'm going to go
snooze. I'm really craving a MONSTER JAVA, though...Have you ever fallen asleep on the toilet? Oh, what the heck...I think I WILL HAVE A REAL COFFEE!!!

I have. Anyways, take care Nelly. And, by the way, you're totally right re: antihistamines working to combat the camomile headache. I'm still itchy, though.

Kate.

Re: Excruciating total evac-- arg! new
      #231965 - 12/16/05 05:36 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Hi Nelly darling
long time no speak...I've been so busy...just wanted commiserate...I was there with you...from 12-3, for the first time in ages, a HORRIBLE attack...and then crashed on the bathroom floor and then the sofa with hot water bottle. horrible violent nausea. Am so empty but don't want to eat...so...ginger tea. Something must have been in the atmosphere last night. I HATE total evacuation...it scares me. Feel good darling!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#231975 - 12/16/05 07:12 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

That sucks and silly you for running out of the good meds! Joking of course, I know they aren't always easy to come by. Hope you feel better soon and tummy calms down!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

ROFL Shelby!! new
      #231979 - 12/16/05 07:22 AM
Nelly

Ow it hurts when I laugh!! Moonshine'll cure what ails me. Yes.

~nelly~

#231982 - 12/16/05 07:27 AM
Nelly

My doc is stingy with the good pain meds, and stupid me-- if I have 'em, I take 'em. I get a grand total of (BRACE YOURSELF) 3 vicodin a month for breakthrough pain. I actually used all mine to ensure stability when I visited my friend 160 miles away last week.

Feeling a little better now, as I got a chance to have some gatorade and more tea. I have to go out to dinner tonight (Italian, DREAD!) and to a work holiday party tomorrow (double dread!).

It would actually all be ok except for the pain now that all the poo has flown outta my butt. Sorry, TMI line there.

~nelly~

Everybody seems to be getting attacks this week!! new
      #231985 - 12/16/05 07:33 AM
Nelly

I hear you about the "bowl of soup." I was actually checking to make sure my organs were still in place after the last round... Really terrifying looking stuff coming outta me there!

I'm really glad the antihistimines worked for you! I get drowsy off of them too, and have def fallen asleep on the pot, more than once! In fact, one of the things I looked for in an apartment in the first place was #1 a sink close to the toilet so I could fill up my water bottle without leaving the pot and #2 a shelf or counter next to the toilet I could rest my head on when I passed out on the pot. I knew this apartment was it when I saw the bathroom.

~nelly~

Pain should be outlawed new
      #231988 - 12/16/05 07:41 AM
Nelly

You know how it goes, Michele! I always think that I'm doing so well going for a stretch without D, then a couple mistakes later I'm brutally reminded that it's not me, it's the meds.

I have to keep it in focus that my stomach woes are much better than this time last year, so I can be happy with that much! The support here has been really wonderful, and it's so good to know that there are people I can turn to here who know exactly what I''m going through.

Last night I was close to tears from the pain and I actually told BF "I need a hug" (so not like me to ask) and he said no, it hurt his back to bend down. (!!) It was bad enough at that one moment in time that I was physically hollow, but that comment made me feel emotionally hollow as well. I'm glad I can shrug it off and come here instead for real support from people who KNOW.

~nelly~

Hey Dalia! new
      #231990 - 12/16/05 07:44 AM
Nelly

Oh no! Poor you. I guess we were keeping each other company and didn't even know it...! I hope you're doing better this morning. I'm still weak (and really tired, like no energy), but so far the tummy has been imodiumed into submission.

I'm sipping some warm green gatorade at the mo to replace my poor lost electrolytes, but it's really cos I'm all chamomilled out.

~nelly~

Re: Everybody seems to be getting attacks this week!! new
      #231991 - 12/16/05 07:54 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I'm due for one. and believe me if you think D is bad, try evac. with C. UGH ... slow and painful.
I am the same with bathrooms. Gotta have the sink close by to run the cold water over my hand when I am about to pass out and to support my head.
Ah, the joys of IBS.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#231993 - 12/16/05 07:55 AM
anlikerm

I'm sorry......At least you got 3! My doctor won't give me any!!! Mean Bastard!!!

I say we both switch doctors!!!

Hope you're feeling better this morning!!! I'm crampy....haven't had a BM yesterday because I took so much imodium. So, it will come out eventually, sometime today I suspect by the way my gut is cramping up right now.
*HUGS*!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#231996 - 12/16/05 08:01 AM
Nelly

Yeah, timing is everything, anlikerm! I'm so glad I didn't have this attack at the work holiday party tomorrow. I just have to figure out what I can put in my stomach between now and then that my body won't be tempted to turn into 100mph poo. (Did I say that?)

Hey, if I could have a full service hospital pharmacy in my bathroom and a 24 hour emergency doctor at my disposal to prescribe me the darn things, there's no way anyone would deny me meds if they saw what my attacks look like!

All I want for xmas is a pez dispenser full of vics. And a large glass of spring water, ahh.

~nelly~

A sink is a MUST new
      #231998 - 12/16/05 08:05 AM
Nelly

Carol, you are so right. For me, there is certainly nothing better in the world than a cold, wet washcloth when I'm [thisclose] to passing out from the pain and heat! It's amazing what water can do to bring me back from the brink. (shaking head) I really don't know that anyone else truly understands what we go through...

~nelly~

Re: hehehehehe new
      #232014 - 12/16/05 08:35 AM
anlikerm

Me, too!!

It is a good thing that you didn't have that attack, tomorrow! Keep on the immodium!! Even though I haven't had a BM yet, today, I took mine, anyway. I know I will go later on and I only want to go ONCE!!!

Glad you're feeling a bit better, today!!

I don't even know what it feels like to NOT "feel" pain. I have NEVER IN MY LIFE BEEN GIVEN A PAIN PILL.

I cracked a rib in the Navy .....I couldn't even breathe......the pain was so intense I could not move!! They gave me Motrin!!! Bastards! I lived with that excruciating pain (with bronchitis) for over 4 months, waiting for my stupid rib to heal!!! It took FOREVER because I couldn't stop coughing!!!

I have never had a doctor tell me anything more than take Motrin or Tylenol. I don't understand why doctors are so bad about prescribing pain pills. Too many people abusing them, I guess.

It's probably a good thing that I have never been given any pain meds.

I would probably be addicted to ANYTHING that would take this pain away!!!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#232022 - 12/16/05 08:49 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I hear that. I was up three times last night in the middle of the night with WIIIICKED bad D cramps.. but no D.

I ended up calling in sick today bc I missed out on a lot of sleep and still feel pretty blah. Feeling guilty about it though. Am I the only lame one that feels guilty about calling out sick. The kicker is.. my job is an internship. I dont' even get paid!

--------------------

Re: Pain should be outlawed new
      #232023 - 12/16/05 08:50 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I think your bf needs a good SMACK upside the head! MEN! You know all of us here would be more than happy to give you a hug! Mushy! LOL!! I wish I had some Vicodine to spare, they wouldn't refil that one so I'm hording it like gold right now, luckily I can usually get by with one a day if I also take some tylenol later.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#232025 - 12/16/05 08:56 AM
anlikerm

I'm sorry you had an attack last night, too!?!

I think SOMETHING IS definitely in the air for soo many people to have an attack in the same week!!

GIRL, don't even worry about calling in! They don't pay you?? Well, don't worry about it.....they can learn to live without their "unpaid intern" for one day. Don't feel guilty, seriously. But, I know it's hard. I felt really guilty. I don't like to have to continuously call in sick so I just quit and then go back when I am stable enough that I can go a month without calling in sick again. I get the REALLY GUILTY feeling. I hate that....

Hope you feel better soon!!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#232036 - 12/16/05 09:42 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Oh Nelly, I got your email this morning. I will reply to it later. Please take care of yourself. I am so sorry you are not feeling well. Take it easy and relax. I am happy that you are able to work from home.

Hang in there...

--------------------

#232037 - 12/16/05 09:44 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

thanks! I only called out sick twice since sept so i'm trying not to feel bad about it.

Plus YES I am unpaid! I'm required to do it for school.

Anyways.. no actually BM last night.. just wiiiicked pain and cramps. Almost worse.. no release!

--------------------

It's the fatigue! new
      #232071 - 12/16/05 11:17 AM
Nelly

You're a saint for thinking of me when you're going through so much yourself, Michele. {{{{{HUGS!}}}}} I just called the pharmacy to see if they would give me any more codiene (10 days early, yikes!) and they're going to check with the doctor. I may be able to slip by because of the holidays, so fingers crossed!!

You know what's weird? The pain itself I can work through, but the fact that it saps all the energy out of me is what knocks me out. I haven't left the apartment in 2 days because I'm bone tired all the time. I acomplished SO MUCH before that... I went to visit my friend and his mom, I met up with BF for lunch, and I hosted my mom for a movie last week with no problem! Of course, that's when my stomach was stable too!!

I agree BF needs a good throttling. Maybe I'll train the dog to chew his pillow or something.

~nelly~

Re: My worst attack ever was like that! new
      #232072 - 12/16/05 11:18 AM
anlikerm

Last month, I almost went to the emergency room because I had a really bad attack like that at midnight! The pains were GOD AWFUL and I couldn't pass ANYTHING AT ALL!!! It hurt soooo bad..... I wanted to die. I was sick for 2 weeks after that night. I think chinese triggered it. I had eaten chinese that day because I was feeling better. Steamed chicken and veggies (yes, broccoli included! Yikes!!) on yes, fried rice not plain white rice! OH, I won't ever do that again!!!!!!!

Hope you feel better soon!!
HUGS!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Motrin!! Aigh!! new
      #232074 - 12/16/05 11:25 AM
Nelly

I can't believe it. Motrin!! *Gag gag cough cough* What nasty stuff!! Why not just drill a hole straight thru the stomach and administrate it THAT way, for all the good it'll do!!

I've cracked a rib too once and oh the pain! I can't imagine how awful it must have been WITH bronchitis (I've had that too but never together). I got tylenol too, ugh. My parents didn't believe in pain medication for children (don't get me started). You can imagine how I feel about the dentist even today.

I'm glad your stomach is doing better now. I had a long talk with mine this morning and threatened it with starvation if it didn't cooperate. So far so good, and I've managed to keep an english muffin in me, but the real tell is when I go pee later. Every time I pee I run the risk of spontaneous D, especially right after an attack. So I'll know when I empty my bladder if this attack is over or if I have to fight another round...!

HUGS TO YOU!!

~nelly~

#232082 - 12/16/05 11:37 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Nelly,
Sorry you're feeling sick again. It's just awful when you arrive at that point where you know the attack is coming - you pushed over the edge - however you got there - and there's nothing you can do to stop it. I HATE that feeling!
I saw everyone echoing sentiments of attacks - I think it's a holiday thing - holidays are awful times for stress and being forced to eat food we have no business eating!!
I havn't had an all-out attack yet - but that's good since attacks for me generally point to inflamation as opposed to spasms (neither are pleasant, but spasms will, eventually, stop - inflamation has a whole different route). I'm on my period though and have yucky cramps. REALLY anemic too - so I'm with you on the fatigue - it's crushing isn't it!
I hope you get your codein - def. better than tylenol! I know you're on the tea/gatoraid thing now - how long is it for you usually until you can think about some toast or something?
Hope it's better soon Nel!
Hugs to you!
Min

Re: Motrin!! Aigh!! new
      #232084 - 12/16/05 11:40 AM
anlikerm

Yea, the bronchitis is what caused the rib to crack ...from what the doc's told me, anyway.

I was also standing watch in sleet for 12 hours (with the bronchitis), so it just got worse and I started coughing so bad, I couldn't stop and then I collapsed from the pain when I cracked the rib. It was INTENSE!!

They rushed me to the emergency room and I got out of standing duty for the rest of the weekend!! Whooo Hooo!! LOL!!

That's so IRONIC, Nelly!! Everytime I go pee, I have to hold back a BM, too. I hold it back until I absolutely can't hold it anymore because I'm always afraid that once I go, I won't be able to stop!! EEEEEEK!!!!!

Glad you and your tummy have come to an agreement, today! Well, so far anyway. You know how much our tummy's actually listen to us, though. Maybe it's just ignoring the fight right now.....LOL!! NO, I Hope Not!!

Speaking of English Muffins. I have never had one before.
Well, I just ate HUGE pumpkin spice english muffin about an hour ago. UPS brought 6 bags of them to my door. They came from my husband's family for christmas. HUGE fresh english muffins from some gourmet food company. MAN, THESE THINGS ARE ADDICTING!!! I love them!!! Didn't give me an attack either even though they contain wheat. Very Fresh!!! YUMMY!!! These things will be gone by next week......LOL!!

Just make sure and keep eating, Nelly....you'll feel better!
I just had a HUGE BM a little while ago and took an imodium. Haven't went again...so, I think I'm good.....??? We'll see......

*HUGS*!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Hey Min! new
      #232087 - 12/16/05 11:50 AM
Nelly

Thanks, Min! I started slow on the tea yday, then upped my intake this morning. After I was feeling like I wouldn't go again soon I did some gatorade-- great for electrolytes, but a little hard on the tummy. I toasted an english muffin about an hour ago (I was really shakey so I knew I needed food) and that's sitting pretty well for the moment. I don't want to try and more food until I pee next, though; if I pee and don't have another bout of D, then that's the all clear to try some chicken broth and saltines!

Ugh, cramps are the worst! You have my sympathy (and empathy!!). Do you have iron supplements for the anemia? Iron tabs are really hard on my stomach, I hope you have better luck with them. I cruise the Crohn's & Colitis board sometimes when I'm in pain to get a dose of other people's reality. It's extremely sobering and makes me all the more thankful for my good days.

How's work going, btw? I saw on the news there was a shooting/stabbing at the Ascot Lounge on 17th and L Sts. next door to where I used to work and I became nostalgic for the DC scene (weird, huh?).

Oooo, I don't want to seem anxious, but I really want to call the pharmacy and see if the doc's approved the early refill. I'm going to check my email and take my mind off of it...!

~nelly~

Re: Hey Min! new
      #232108 - 12/16/05 12:27 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

English muffins are a good start...and oooh, chicken broth and saltines - what a gourmet surprise we have there! I know you're trying hun, and that's good.

I can't do iron pills either. I've gotten shots a couple times that were easier to handle, but things have to get really bad for them to do that - almost to the point that you should be getting a blood transfusion. I was adventurous with lunch today and had some soup with beans in it - that has -some- iron, so maybe it will help. I also slept a ton last night (when you really can't move it helps to sleep, you know)...
Work is going - November was super busy and that did get to me a bit, but December has been much lighter so far, so that's good - next week I'm working Monday and Tuesday and then I'll be off for a whole week - I'm massively looking forward to it!! Didn't hear about the whole Ascot Lounge thing - but I know right where that is - it can get a bit sleezy down there late at night.
I saw your post on BF's raise - congrats!!! I'm anxious to see what mine will be after the 1st of the year.
We'll be hoping for you on the insurance thing too!!!
Good luck!
Min

Re: My worst attack ever was like that! new
      #232180 - 12/16/05 05:24 PM
Wind

My worst attack was actually about 4 or 5 years ago. And, it was so bad that I hardly remember it. I literally blacked right out. I half remember waking up in the hospital hooked up to an I.V. (dehydration). The last thing I remember was trying to sip some gatorade after a round of D & vomitting. My mother found me in my appartment.

I have had attacks so bad that I have been dehydrated, so...Nelly you are totally doing the right thing with the Gatorade/chicken soup/saltines. It's funny, but veg. or chicken broth really restores me after a huge evac. I find, though, that dry rice krispies or rice crackers stay down better for me. A banana would launch another round of attacks. Ditto for applesauce. But rice krispies work.

kate.

Getting back to 100% sloooowly! new
      #232227 - 12/17/05 07:20 AM
Nelly

Cool idea about the rice krispies... I hadn't thot of that. I'm doing a lot better now, and am clawing myself up to "almost stable."

Oh yeah, there's no way I could do acidy foods like bananas or applesause after an attack!!!!! I had an english muffin and some plain spaghetti yday, then another eng muffin this morning with some chamomille tea. And LOTS of imodium, LOL!

I hear ya on the vomiting with D, Wind. That's the last time I was hospitalized, too. I think we should all have saline bags in our bedrooms! Nothing better than being rehydrated and not having to drink anything!! It would be the best legal drug! When I get saline IVs in my arm, I can actually feel my kidneys plumping up with fluid. So nice...

OK, off to try out my new TETLEY CHAMOMILLE which just arrived!!!

~nelly~

Re: Getting back to 100% sloooowly! *DELETED* new
      #232241 - 12/17/05 09:08 AM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Re: Getting back to 100% sloooowly! new
      #232242 - 12/17/05 09:20 AM
Nelly

I can't do Ragu but I can do plain Prego or Prego with mushrooms if it's room temperature. Weird, I know. It's just that when I heat the sauce it hurts my stomach(???).

I like french bread with olive oil and a little salt. Yummy toasted!

~nelly~

Saline bags, lol! new
      #232276 - 12/17/05 01:16 PM
Wind

Honestly, the organic chicken broth is what saves me. I just drink it until I feel "normal" enough. I'm stocked for a war with that stuff! When I cannot stomach water, I can often sip organic chicken broth in a weakened state.

Electrolytes--mine are always screwed. I hope you get up to snuff a.s.a.p.

Enjoy your Tetley Camomile. I prefer Twinnings.

Kate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1972 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5135

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review