All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Shell new
      #231777 - 12/15/05 09:28 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Thanks. It made my day...or holiday, should I say...to see the look on his face. Sometimes it's the little things that we do that make such a difference.

Every Christmas I think about this----

The first Christmas after our first son was born, I was exhausted. He was only 4 weeks old, and I hardly had time to sleep, much less do anything holiday-related. One of the women who worked with my husband sent home with him a tin full of holidays goodies (cookies, fudge, candy). Nothing had ever looked so good to me as that gift of homemade treats! It really made my Christmas special because I had no time to do any baking that year. I still think about this every Christmas.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I definitely agree! -nt- new
      #231779 - 12/15/05 09:30 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Re: Act of Kindness. new
      #231782 - 12/15/05 09:41 AM
atomic rose

Oh goodness, where to begin? I honestly think about how blessed I am every single day, because I have friends in my life - some of whom I've never met - who are better than gold.

Some of them send me little random goodies, like the friend in L.A. who occasionally sends me skeins of expensive yarn that I'd never be able to afford on my own, just as a treat. Some take care of needs, like the one who, almost exactly a year ago, when I couldn't afford to buy pants that fit and I literally had none, went to the store, bought a few pairs, and sent them to me. One, my darling friend Erin, raids the dollar store for silly things that she knows will make me laugh, and sends them along. I can't even tell you how absolutely delightful it is to open your mailbox and see a surprise package from someone, just because they wanted to send a little something to let you know they were thinking of you.

I won't get into the kind things I've done, because I really don't like tooting my own horn quite that way, so I'll just say that I pass along the love shown to me as often as I possibly can.

Someone watched my kids Sunday new
      #231808 - 12/15/05 11:01 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Eric and I have trouble getting away, seems 3 kids (one of whom is especially challenging) and a dog are a bit much for most folks. But we had a chacne to see the Panthers play Sunday, unusual for us, so we sure wanted to go. A couple from church heard of our predicament and offerred to take our kids!!! Out of nowhere!!! It's unlikely we will get the chance to return the favor, and they know that - it was just a gift of grace, a random act of kindness as you say. I'm so grateful, even though the Panthers played HORRIBLY it was so fun to scream at them in person!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Oh, wow, Michelle! new
      #231826 - 12/15/05 12:19 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

That was a nice gift! I bet you enjoyed that (I'm envious!), although the Panthers did play pitifully.

I'd watch your kids if you lived closer to me. They are so cute!

This is how I feel about the LR! Thank you Alicia new
      #231828 - 12/15/05 12:31 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

for putting my thoughts into words so eloquently *hugs*

I love you!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Yes, it's the little things... I will never forget... new
      #231849 - 12/15/05 01:34 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Yes, it is the little things....

My girlfriend still reminds me of Christmas when her and her two kids where little. The oldest was 4 and the youngest just over a year. Her husband had left her and she was not able to work full time due to the kids.

I took gifts over to her apartment... I had done a little better THAT year then years past...so I had money at Christmas for the first time living on my own. They were just little things like color books, crayons, big plastic piggy bank and some clothes... mommy got PJ's and slippers and chocolate for all. I had NO IDEA until YEARS later that those gifts that I had taken over to them WAS their Christmas!!

Quote:

Thanks. It made my day...or holiday, should I say...to see the look on his face. Sometimes it's the little things that we do that make such a difference.

Every Christmas I think about this----

The first Christmas after our first son was born, I was exhausted. He was only 4 weeks old, and I hardly had time to sleep, much less do anything holiday-related. One of the women who worked with my husband sent home with him a tin full of holidays goodies (cookies, fudge, candy). Nothing had ever looked so good to me as that gift of homemade treats! It really made my Christmas special because I had no time to do any baking that year. I still think about this every Christmas.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

LOL! new
      #231859 - 12/15/05 02:11 PM
atomic rose

Living in a small town, it's no big deal if someone smiles or even waves - we all do that, even if we don't know each other. But holy cow, if someone gets the DOOR for me, especially at the post office, I smile for the next hour! I always hold the door for the person behind me, and definitely always get the door for an elderly person, a mom with little kids, or anybody with their arms full... and sometimes they all just look so surprised that I did that.

Random acts of kindness don't even have to be something out of the ordinary - even common courtesy isn't so common anymore!

Lovely post! new
      #231863 - 12/15/05 02:59 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,
What a nice idea for a post, this kind of stuff is so important to remember!

Stuff I've done.. um..
1) Sometimes I pretend I am still busy at work for an extra 15 minutes because there is another girl who is off 15 minutes after me who doesn't like to walk to her car alone, so I wait and walk with her even though it is the opposite direction I have to go to get home.

2) Arranged a trip over to Canada, then up to Whistler Mountain for Adrian's parents without Adrian ever knowing. I tried to arrange him to get time off and all that too, but his boss wouldn't give him any.. so he does not get on this list, hee hee.

3) When Adrian's Dad refused to leave a tip at a restaurant we went to last night because they didn't bring us our bread quick enough, my friend and I snuck back and left the waitress some money as our bill was probably around $150 and I know what it is like to live off tips.

That's all I can think of right now.

Stuff done for ME:

1) My union rep came to check up on me yesterday at work to make sure I was okay, which was nice.

2) Everyone on this board replying to my post about work, and helping me through so many difficult times I've gone through in the last couple of years.

3) Adrian's mum and I went out Christmas shopping and bought me a nice sweater as a gift because she saw me looking at it. Because she knows money is tight, she and Adrian's Dad have paid for a lot of our outing since they have been here before we can even try, which has been nice because I was worried the trip would almost bankrupt me!

I'm sure there are loads more,

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Lovely post! new
      #231865 - 12/15/05 03:04 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

Glad to hear that someone at your work cares about your health/personal problems!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1385 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4938

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review