All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Act of Kindness.
      #231723 - 12/15/05 04:43 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Many of us have had a stressful year, but I like you all to focus on either an act of kindness you did for somebody or an act of kindness done to you.

A group of people in my city started performing random acts of kindness with people on the street, at the mall. It was on the news again yesterday, which prompted this post this morning.

I'll post mine later - I have to head out to work in a few minutes.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Nice thoughts new
      #231725 - 12/15/05 06:01 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I won't post about mine (all WAY too complicated and/or private for the individuals concerned).

Random acts of kindness are great. It makes my day if someone just smiles at me. Hmmm...maybe I need to get out more

Happy holidays everyone!

Re: Act of Kindness. new
      #231727 - 12/15/05 06:25 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I take hubby's car out on the weekend to fill his tank with gas so he has a full tank to start the week off.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#231729 - 12/15/05 06:27 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Something I did:
I bought my work yoga teacher who donates her time to teach yoga here at work once a week on her lunch hour some orchids to thank her. She loved them!

Her act of kindness (in response to mine):
She is writing a letter of reference for me AND asked the editor of the newsletter I do to write me one too. So I will have two letters of recommendation!!!

YAY!

#231731 - 12/15/05 06:38 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Done for me: Mac pays my utility bills every month (without me ever asking him to, and in fact, with me being stubborn and asking him not to) since money is tight for me with my medical bills.

I did: random e-cards and occasional gifts to special people in my life who I unfortunately don't live close to.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#231734 - 12/15/05 07:09 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I know, I'm supposed to be taking a break from the boards, but I checked in this morning, saw this and had to respond.

Yesterday, I was at the post office and there was this Hispanic gentleman standing in front of the stamp machine. He looked so confused. He pointed at the book of stamps in the machine, held out his hand with a few coins, and tried to get me to explain if he had enough. He needed $7.20 ---and he probably only had about three dollars worth of coins. I tried to explain to him how much he needed, but he didn't understand (he didn't speak English very well.)

All of a sudden I remembered that I had bought 2 books of stamps earlier in the week (for Christmas cards)---and in the meantime, my husband and I decided not to send out cards this year. So I reached in my purse, got one of the book of stamps, and handed it to him. I said, "If you can use these, I want you to have them." The look on his face was priceless. You would've thought I handed him a million dollars! He went from sheer anguish to utter joy!

He stood there, shocked that someone had handed him what he needed. As I walked away, he hollered at me. I turned, and he was holding out his hand---with the small number of coins. I shook my head and told him, "No, I don't want those. I want you to have the stamps. They are my gift to you. Merry Christmas!"

The room got quiet, and I realized everyone had stopped their hustling and bustling to watch this exchange.

As I walked away, I heard the man say in his broken English, "Me-wwy Cwist-mas!"

#231741 - 12/15/05 07:21 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Great positive post Barbara!

For me:
When I was wedding planning I had a nightmare finding shoes to fit one of my sisters for her bridesmaids dress when we finally decided that the ones they had tried on first were the ones that we would go with. I got a shop to phone around and found them out in the suburbs. One of my friends went to collect them for me, then another friend met her and brought them home to me. I was so grateful I would have spend about three hours doing the same journey, whereas they split it between them.

When we were on honeymoon my Mum and brother came to our house and cleaned it from top to bottom and left a bunch of flowers and a "Welcome Home" sign on the table, and set our heating to come on as we arrived in, it was so great not to arrive in to the way we had left the house!

It's hard for me to isolate things this year as we got so much support from friends and family with wedding related help but these are just two examples.

By me:
When I'm ironing my stuff I iron an extra shirt for my husband so he doesn't have to do one in the morning, he HATES ironing (we do our own ironing usually) He is so delighted when he starts moaning in the morning about needing to iron a shirt and I tell him that there's one done hanging in the spare room.

Another very much appreciated thing that I have done recently that has been really commented on is that when I go to an event eg wedding, party etc I copy my digital photos onto CD and send them to the people who hosted the event, then they can have good quality (as opposed to uploaded versions of them all)

Little thoughtful things like those really make an impact on someone. Let's resolve that when someone is kind to us to post regularly and share the nice feeling of being helped out

--------------------
S.

Re: One of Heather's many acts of kindnesses to us.... new
      #231748 - 12/15/05 07:49 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I think that we all need to remember and be thankful that we even have the Living Room. I'm sure it was a big risk for Heather to allow such an open forum. For the most part, I think it works fairly well. We have found friends, supported each other, comforted each other, and had good times here.
I don't know of many other boards that have such a thing.
I think the least thing we can do (our act of kindness to Heather) is to try to get along with each other as best we can and to respect each other's differences. The word tolerance is often misunderstood. The definition of tolerance includes not only to respect our differences, but also to put up with something even if it causes you great pain or distress. I say we need to go further than tolerance. We need to ACCEPT and RESPECT each others differences without pain or distress. I think we need to do our best to make this a forum where EVERYONE should feel welcome - regardless of gender, age, religion, etc. to name a few.
Just my two cents.
Heather is a generous, loving, caring individual. She does her very best to meet our needs even above and beyond the call of her duty. Please, let's all keep this in mind.

With love to all,
Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I agree!! -nt- new
      #231764 - 12/15/05 08:38 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

#231766 - 12/15/05 08:41 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

That is so sweet.... {{tear in eye}}

Quote:

I know, I'm supposed to be taking a break from the boards, but I checked in this morning, saw this and had to respond.

Yesterday, I was at the post office and there was this Hispanic gentleman standing in front of the stamp machine. He looked so confused. He pointed at the book of stamps in the machine, held out his hand with a few coins, and tried to get me to explain if he had enough. He needed $7.20 ---and he probably only had about three dollars worth of coins. I tried to explain to him how much he needed, but he didn't understand (he didn't speak English very well.)

All of a sudden I remembered that I had bought 2 books of stamps earlier in the week (for Christmas cards)---and in the meantime, my husband and I decided not to send out cards this year. So I reached in my purse, got one of the book of stamps, and handed it to him. I said, "If you can use these, I want you to have them." The look on his face was priceless. You would've thought I handed him a million dollars! He went from sheer anguish to utter joy!

He stood there, shocked that someone had handed him what he needed. As I walked away, he hollered at me. I turned, and he was holding out his hand---with the small number of coins. I shook my head and told him, "No, I don't want those. I want you to have the stamps. They are my gift to you. Merry Christmas!"

The room got quiet, and I realized everyone had stopped their hustling and bustling to watch this exchange.

As I walked away, I heard the man say in his broken English, "Me-wwy Cwist-mas!"

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4927

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review