All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: LOL! new
      #231866 - 12/15/05 03:15 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I try to take the grocery carts in the parking lot lying around as my own cart if it was in someone's parking spot or in front of someone else's car.

I try to pick something up if someone drops it.

Or to share what I know with others.

I love visitng the elderly! I also smile at folks looking down who seem to be having a hard day...you can save a LIFE with a smile!!

The best thing that's ever happened to me: People on the boards have sent me things...a stuffed dog, a pic of a dog, letters, cards, and even luna bars

I have also lived in some wonderful Jewish Communities where when hubby and I moved into town, our meals were made for us for the ENTIRE WEEK! Not only did they make our meals...but they made them FOOD SAFE for me!!!

Thanks for this thread Barbara!!! May all the kindness that is listed here be done for you *hugs*

P.S. How's your son doing??

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#231888 - 12/15/05 04:07 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

See, I grew up in a village where everyone greeted people on the streets and I loved that. It's alot bigger and busier here and there is far less common courtesy. But at least it's not as bad as Reading (the city near here I went to uni in) - that's nearly as bad as London in that if you smile at people on the street they think you're a loon!

I wanna move back to the country!

Re: Act of Kindness. new
      #231892 - 12/15/05 04:15 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that I did or someone did for me! Oh no! But, I will say is that it shouldn't not only be this time of year where we decide to do something kind for someone. It should be each and everyday of the year...

--------------------

#231893 - 12/15/05 04:15 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

My friend had twins who just turned 1 in Sept. and for the last year or so I've kinda adopted her 11 year old son to make her life a bit easier. (he also happens to be my son's best friend ) We took him home from CCD all of last year. He was on my son's baseball team in the fall so I picked him up every game and every practice and took him to the field. We also took him home most nights as it was hard for her to drag the twins out. I just offered whenever I could to help her out. This is her second marriage and she had these twins late in life and we all know our energy levels kinda drop after 35!!!!

She's managing to get through this tough time. She works full time and has the twin in daycare which costs about $1,000/mth!!!! She has a few years yet for it to get easier but however I can help out I offer and I never have minded doing it cause I look at my life as crazy but when I compare it to hers.........she's much more stressed!

Great post. Especially this time of year!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#231901 - 12/15/05 04:40 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Great point Tommy!!

Quote:

But, I will say is that it shouldn't not only be this time of year where we decide to do something kind for someone. It should be each and everyday of the year...

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

The world is full of kindness today new
      #231964 - 12/16/05 05:21 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The first thing was when I stopped at a gas service to get some screen wash and a coffee my card got declined (this happens all the time to me, and I just called up Si who could sort it over the net) but a beautiful woman who had been behind me in the queue came up and asked if I was okay or if she could pay my bill for me! I said I was fine, but can you believe that? I mean, it wasn't much and she was obviously well off, but no-one does that.

And then I went to the Citizens Advice Bureau and 2 women (they're all volunteers) spent 3 hours with me filling in my disability forms.

And then when I stopped at a postbox on the way home I got locked out of the car (a combination of wind, a dog in the car and a dodgy lock). Luckily the window was slightly open, but I was trying unsuccessfully to get my keys out with a stick when a late middle aged couple pulled up, asked what the problem was and helped me get my keys. The lady spotted the crucial long stick with a strong hook in it and her husband got my keys! And they were so nice about it.

And THEN, when I finally got home, there was an early birthday card from my dad's cousin with 20 pounds in it! I can go buy some jeans without guilt now.

Today could have been incredibly stressful but it's been a GREAT day so far thanks to all these kind people. And now I get to go shopping for jeans (my last pair ripped across the bum this week ).

Edited by Linz (12/16/05 05:22 AM)

Random acts of kindness are my favorites.. new
      #232009 - 12/16/05 08:26 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

not only have i been the recipient of the all parking meters in the block paid in full thing but I have done it to others....

also- I am running the drive through work for the local IHN shelter for homeless families to get christmas gifts as well as other needed items.

I'll be in on Monday loading my car to deliver everything.

and the nasty snow yesterday reminded me of a wonderful act from last year.. One of our neighbors had bought a new snowplow and he went out of his way to plow everyones drive in the first heavy snowfall.... Sadly he passed away very young this summer..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#232132 - 12/16/05 02:02 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I agree with you Tommy. It just seems this is the time of year people think about all the blessings they have had throughout the year.

#232133 - 12/16/05 02:06 PM
BarbaraS

You are so sweet!! Usually it is the husband who fills the wife's car with gas.

#232134 - 12/16/05 02:11 PM
BarbaraS

I agree everyday kindness goes along way. I don't how many times a person lets go of a door on my face or not bother to help when I'm stuggling with 3 kids and groceries.

I am just like you. I hold the door open for people, help moms with small kids. Small acts of kindness really touch people's lives. The other thing I do is park further away from a store when I don't have my children - in hopes a mom with kids can park closer.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 556 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4938

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review