All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Dr's appt update and doggie ?'s!
      #231556 - 12/14/05 12:38 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Ok, so I saw my shrink last night and we had a good cry and talked. I kept saying that my babies are dead and she finally said STOP. Do not think of your babies as dead. She told me to think of it like this-just because my babies weren't born to me doesn't mean that they are dead. It just means that they have gone on into the universe and that the babies are playing together and happy. She said she believes that part of the soul goes on into other living things, like the flowers I love or the dog I plan on getting. I do NOT want to get into a "God" or "Heaven" discussion here as I know we all have our own beliefs. I do not find comfort in religion but thinking of my babies this way helps me. The grief counsler they sent in at the dr's office this morning after I melteddown was also very comforting. She counsels women who have had miscarriages and runs a support group one night a month at the hospital. I told her I felt bad yesterday because I was excited about getting a puppy and then felt guilty that I wasn't thinking about my babies and she told me thats ok. That I can and SHOULD get a puppy and be happy and that doesn't mean I don't love my babies. She told me that my babies wouldn't want there mommy to be suffering so and would want me to grieve but than to try and be happy. She told me that when I'm feeling up to it, I should wtire a letter to my babies and tie it to a helium balloon and release it into the universe as a way of telling my babies how much I love them and miss them but also to start letting them go a little.

I'm still hurting of course and sad and crying on and off but I am feeling a little more at peace with things. The dr will order some more testing when I go back next month but he agreed that we will likely never know the reason for my losses. He believes I'd have a 40% chance of actually carrying a baby. Will and I have decided that its too early to make decisions about trying/not trying/adoption right now. I will go ahead and have some of the testing done but we will probably wait at least 6 months before making any decisions. I'm still having a lot of physcial pain and bleeding and he said that the cramping will probably continue for several weeks as my uterus shrinks. He also agree that it was a good idea to increase the zoloft to 100mg and gave me another script for xanax.

The dog question I have is this-someone mentioned that they felt that male dogs bonded better with female owners and female dogs with male owners, anyone have opinions on this?? We are going out to meet Jasmine and Harley this weekend. They are litter mates and both available. My first instict was Jasmine, I LOVE that name and I just thought a girl dog sounded more me for some reason. I figure we will go and spend a couple of hours with the puppies and see which one I bond with better but just wanted to see if any of you dog owners had any insight?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dr's appt update and doggie ?'s! new
      #231561 - 12/14/05 12:54 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Your shrink is so right! Good for you for getting a smart and caring one! I am not religious either and I like her explanation as well.

Get a puppy!!!!!! YES!!!!!!

You're on the mend, my friend. I'm so glad you're not feeling guilty anymore and are not blaming yourself for your loss.

#231562 - 12/14/05 12:56 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I think I love your shrink. She sounds wonderful, understanding, competent, and I'm glad you were able to get in to see her. I'm also glad you're feeling a little more at peace. Don't rush yourself... you HAVE suffered a big loss, and you will heal, but you have to be gentle with yourself and give yourself time. I know I haven't been responding to all of your posts, but I've been thinking of you just the same - please keep us posted on how you're doing. *hugs*

I don't have a dog, so it's hard for me to weigh in on that one, but I can tell you that my mother's dog - male - bonded immediately and equally well with both her and my stepfather. I think your idea is a good one, to go and spend a little time there, and see who bonds with you better. I'm all about trusting gut instinct on these things.

#231567 - 12/14/05 01:08 PM
michele

Thanks Girls! I'm feeling like the heavy, dark, very bad cloud is lifting. I'm not having such bad thoughts and I can look forward now and see a future. I wouldn't trade my shrink for the world. She and I are really on the same page about a lot of things and she has truely helped me deal with many things in my life. She actually specializes in childern and the miscarriage counsler this morning did add some things. I will go to the next miscarriage support meeting at the hospital next month and will see my regualr shrink as soon as I get back from my trip.

I have my two cats at home and I love them but I'm really feeling good about getting a dog. I know I will have a heard time leaving my new fur baby this weekend until we are ready to bring him/her home on the 30th when we get back but I know its for the best!

--------------------

#231569 - 12/14/05 01:10 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Your shrink does sound fabulous, Michele. I'm so glad she was able to give you a little peace with all this.

As far as the dog..when I was growing up we had a girl dog and she was at my moms feet, lap, 24 hours a day! She was the most affectionate and loving dog to all of us (well not my dad, but that's because he was a jerk). But my mom was definitely like her "mom".

After she died, my mom had a boy dog...same breed. That dog wasn't affectionate or did not bond with anyone. So, not sure if it's possible to base this on sex. I think it may just be an individual thing...from one dog to another???

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#231571 - 12/14/05 01:14 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Definitely go with your intuition re: the puppy. It sounds fun. You'll just know the moment you meet your pup. There will be a certain "vibe" or energy.

I'm not religious and somehow the way your shrink "put it" makes sense. It's so hard to translate deep stuff into words and concepts that hardly do them service.

Kate.

#231573 - 12/14/05 01:16 PM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Dogs bond with anyone that feed, play with them and love them. Some dogs tend to bond more closely to people - especially the smaller dogs that have been bred as lap dogs.

I'm sure Jasmine will bond fantastically with both you and Will and I am sure that you will be brilliant owners.

BTW I was worried that Lucy would bond more with me than my partner, as I am at home all day. This has not been the case - she loves us both equally and you should see the reception T gets when she comes home from work!

#231574 - 12/14/05 01:18 PM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

It's true - all of my animals I have just 'known' somewhere inside me that they were the special ones.

Of course I could happily rehome few more.

Puppies .....

PS Mine was 1 year old today. The months have really flown by since we got her. I can safely say that getting her was one of the best things we ever did. Not obsessed - honest!

#231578 - 12/14/05 01:29 PM
michele

Thanks Cathy! Since my hubby started working from home, I thought my kitties, would love Will more kind of thing but that isn't the case. Chloe has alway just been a daddy's girl and thats ok but our Big Boy was closer to me and even thought I'm gone all day and Will is home, Big Boy is always waiting by the back door at 6:30 when I get home! I do plan on taking my new fur baby to work with me everyday so that really isn't an issue. I'd just never heard the sex and bonding thing before and was curious what others had to say!

--------------------

#231595 - 12/14/05 02:00 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I think it has more to do with the dog's personality more than their sex. My family has male dogs and the only boy in our house was my dad and the dog bonded closely with all of us (more with my mom).
HTH, good luck

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Good! new
      #231599 - 12/14/05 02:08 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I'm glad to see you're able to start making peace with everything, and I'm happy you're getting a dog. Getting a dog was the best thing that ever happened to my parents, truly!

--------------------

#231601 - 12/14/05 02:09 PM
gregory wayne

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: MEMPHIS, Tennessee

I think girl dogs bond with women okay. In a pack all females compete for the male. I have a sweet female dog and she loves me as her dad. SHE clases with the 3 females that compete with her for my attention. It mostly depends on you. gregory

#231609 - 12/14/05 02:28 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That's so good to hear. Great shrinks are AMAZING, aren't they? Si and I just got back from therapy too.

It all depends on the dog's personality. Archie is probably slightly closer to me (I'm his mummy for sure ) but he adores Simon.

If you both love Jasmine when you meet her then it'll all be fine.

#231612 - 12/14/05 02:31 PM

Unregistered

I'm glad your shrink was able to give you such great advice. I feel the same about the religion thing and have a hard time finding comfort in it for such tragic things. I think her insight is a great way of looking at it. I think the balloon thing is a nice idea. Something you and Will could do together after you've had some more time to heal.

I also think the puppy is a good idea. No reason to feel guilty about it. As for bonding with a male or female, my dog is a female and probably loves my mom more than anyone when she sees them. I think she gets more excited about playing with the boys, but when it's snuggle time then it's all about my mom or me. Just sit down with both of them and feel it out. (Jasmine is a really cute name though )

Let us know how the puppy thing turns out and keep up the good work.

#231615 - 12/14/05 02:37 PM
michele

Yeah, thats what drew me to her, was her name! I love the name Jasmine. Its also one of my favorite scents!! I have a HUGE jasmine vine and in the spring time when it blooms, I can just sit next to it and smell the fragnace all day! Will thinks that Harley is a little cuter, he is all reddish brown, solid in color and looks like a little bear! I think I'm going to just wait until I get there and meet them both and I'm sure the one thats right for me will make itself know!

--------------------

#231618 - 12/14/05 02:44 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

A dog is a great idea. And the breeds name is perfect for an IBS person. LOL
I'm not very religious either, but I feel that my Richie is with your babies and I have felt better. I feel that there may have been a reason for his passing so young (61) and can imagine him taking care of a field full of happy children. I guess we have to think what we have to in able get through things.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#231628 - 12/14/05 03:12 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Glad to hear things are looking at least a little bit up! Your shrink sounds fantastic, and I completely agree with her as well.

Good luck and have fun on the puppy search. Thinking of you!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#231658 - 12/14/05 04:40 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I'm glad Michelle that some things are getting a bit easier to deal with. It will take time and you shouldn't rush things. Just let things happen each day. There will be more than likely good days and bad. Cherish each good day and know that there at least are good days

As far as the male/female dog thing. I've had both. I'm looking into getting a puppy in the spring too as we put our 14 year old golden male to sleep in Sept. and still trying to decide on a male or female. Females are more affectionate in general I think. I think either would be good for you now. They are just the cutest things. I hope you decide to get one. It will take your mind off of things and you will learn to love it as if it were a child! Good luck!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

aww so hard to pick just one, get them both!! new
      #231683 - 12/14/05 06:41 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

why not get harley and jasmine lol?? more to love. My aunt has two shihtzu's a female and male and they are best friends it is soo cute to see. I am just joking with you, but I find puppies and kittens so cute that I can't choose which one to get. My bf had to make the decision on my cat because I kept going back and forth between her and her brother. We went with the female and later found out her brother is a little "hyper", they named him lucifer lol. I love my cat like crazy and I am so glad that we picked her, you will know when you see them which one to get though, it is weird sometimes because we just get drawn into the right choice. With your love for jasmine (scents, vines, etc) maybe that is a hint right there!! besides then you can buy a fancy pink collar. Best of luck and post pictures

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

My dog... new
      #231689 - 12/14/05 07:30 PM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

is female and loves everyone equally. There was only one instance in all the years I've had her that she wouldn't let someone pet her. Lol, he's a nice guy but she kept running up to him running away when he reached out to pet her.

I don't think that whole male/female bonding thing is true. In my oppinion, it all depends on how you raise it.

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

glad to see you sounding a bit better.. new
      #231728 - 12/15/05 06:26 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I can't argue with what the therapist sugggested- its part of how I've coped... very similar advice many years ago, and it worked.. I do agree with not making major decisions for at least 4-6 months.. and I think getting the dog would be good for you... as I think I've mentioned I got cats and later Gliders as a way to cope with not having physical children, and they are our babies... I also have Cassi and we have talked about adopting again over the years but due to a variety of things have chosen not to.. the least of which is that Bill's health issues make it difficult for him to qualify and being married to him rules me out too for being waitlisted through MOST agencies for an infant (mind you they will let us adopt another older child) but we've decided for now older child adoptions are something we're not in the position to deal with and we can't afford to do international adoption.. so we're back to pets again and spoiling the nephews and godchildren!

Good luck! I hope it all works out for the best and you are already sounding a lot more positive in your posts then you did the other day so that is good news!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: My dog... new
      #231746 - 12/15/05 07:41 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I love my female dog sooooo much more than my male dog. I love all my animals, true! But, I have my favorites and they are the females. My male cat is a HOLY TERROR!!! He is always picking fights with my female cat. He scratches down the walls, tears up my couch and everything else he can get his claws into!! My female cat is very subtle. Doesn't scratch on anything.....stays in the bedroom most of the time because she hates Leo (the male cat).

My Male Rottweiler is a FREAKING BULL HEAD!!! He never listens to me because he knows he outweighs me and can just knock me down if he wanted to. He listens to my husband because he KNOWS my husband is the ALPHA MALE!!! However, he does not listen to me. He loves me and protects me more than my husband, but he respects the hubby more than he does me.

My female dog is my child!!! She's my baby girl!!! Very submissive......if I get mad at her, she's right there with her head between her tail BEGGING FOR FORGIVENESS!!! She doesn't leave my side!!! Love her to death!!!

I will ALWAYS stick with females from here on out!!!

HTH!!
Good Luck!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: Thanks Girls new
      #231747 - 12/15/05 07:46 AM
michele

And don't tempt me with getting them both, the thought has crossed my mind!! However, since my new fur baby will be coming to the office with me everyday, I think two might be a bit much! Lets not forget the cost as well, they aren't cheap! I stopped this morning and got a book on caring and raising shih tzus. Its definite we are going to get one, just not sure which one yet!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 357 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2740

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review